Me Grandma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
I was chattin to me old man tonight and the subject of homebrew came up.. cough.. unexpectedly.. cough.. well the old boy procedes to tell me that me granny used to brew 57 gallon hogs head barrels.. at a time.. for me pop and his bro's.. me Granny.. always loved that Granny

Seems I've a ways to go yet :D

Good old granny and may she rest.. my next question to the old boy may be "did she leave a recipe?"

:p

My Dad told me a few years ago, that during Prohibition, my Grandmother brewed 5 gallon batches in a crock for her boarders. I had no idea...

Dave

Me Gramma never had a drop in her life, passed away many years ago. I checked out her old house where she lived from 1924 when it was built, till the day she died in 1995. Young family there now by the looks of it, but heck look at the frign palm tree, and the guys up the street - in shorts etc. Now we are talking Yorkshire here. Global warming sceptics take note. :eek:

grammas_1__Small_.JPG
grammas_2__Small_.JPG

Me Gramma never had a drop in her life, passed away many years ago. I checked out her old house where she lived from 1924 when it was built, till the day she died in 1995. Young family there now by the looks of it, but heck look at the frign palm tree, and the guys up the street - in shorts etc. Now we are talking Yorkshire here. Global warming sceptics take note. :eek:

View attachment 38337
View attachment 38338

Must still be a decent neighbourhood, they leave their motors on the road :lol:

Screwy

With so many cars on the road there, and with the population not being as far-travelling as here, car theft is quite high. Here's what you do: (with Aussie equivalents substituted here)

You live in Tweed heads, so you go to Gympie and select a common car model such as a Feista, and colour and year that you would like to obtain, making a note of its numberplate
Your car thief contractor then goes to Toowoomba, locates your model and steals it for you, dumping the plates
Your fake number plate contractor does a set of the 'Gympie' plates and you put them on the Toowoomba car.
You drive around Tweed Heads but be careful not to arouse the sus of the cops, do red light cameras etc etc. edit: if the cops do a random computer check (like they do here) they come up with what looks like a Gympie guy on holiday. No reason to stop as he's driving just fine. Model, colour etc match fine.

Gympie dude is non the wiser that there's a clone driving around Tweed Heads.

:icon_offtopic: Bribie I think you find its a cordyline rather than a palm tree. They're from New Zealand and love the rain and cold thats why its thriving in Yorkshire :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyline_australis

Cheers
Steve

That's why the dude has his shirt off. I remember when I was about 7 and the other kids would be running around shirtless in the summer, I got upset because Dad (he was a Copper and really laid down the rules) wouldn't allow me to take my shirt off until the temp reached 60 degrees :lol: that's 15.6 Celsius - man even US-05 starts to conk out at that temperature. :)

While I don't have any brewing stories about my Grandma, I do remember one trip away with a few other families when I was a kid. All of the families were Polish and pretty old school. One day I wandered into the basement of the holiday house we were all renting and found a bunch of the older blokes sitting around a home-made still. They used to buy a few casks of cheap goon (cask wine) and distill that down to rocket fuel. They'd sit around boisterously playing cards and slamming down these shots of moonshine.

Oh...and BribieG can I put in an order for one of those Mazda CX9's, black. I'll PM you a rego number ;)

While I don't have any brewing stories about my Grandma, I do remember one trip away with a few other families when I was a kid. All of the families were Polish and pretty old school. One day I wandered into the basement of the holiday house we were all renting and found a bunch of the older blokes sitting around a home-made still. They used to buy a few casks of cheap goon (cask wine) and distill that down to rocket fuel. They'd sit around boisterously playing cards and slamming down these shots of moonshine.

Oddly enough I was talking to my Nan back in England on the phone about homebrewing recently and she confessed to having made a fair bit of Rosehip wine back in the day ... and said it was wicked stuff. Now she's got a bit of a geographical history having been born in Sudan and lived in various parts of N Africa and the med before settling in England post WW2, so I thought it might have been some traditional 'foreign' concoction ...

... I was a bit dissapointed when she said they used to make it in Darlington :rolleyes:

cordyline australis grows very nicely in Tassie. 100 year old specimens in Launceston I believe.

My dear old Nan -89 and still going strong- used to brew a ginger beer for my pop during the war. She can't remember how she made it, but she told me that she gave a few bottles to a bloke down the road who left them in his shed for a while. Upon picking one up after a bit of storage, it exploded and shredded his hand to shit. Oops.

Oh...and BribieG can I put in an order for one of those Mazda CX9's, black. I'll PM you a rego number ;)

Cross threaded here, :rolleyes: but I believe that QLD is going rego-sticker-free soon and the plates will be the only external ID on the vehicle. I wonder where you can get a number plate press from. Maybe the jails still do them. Carton of White Ox should do the trick. For vehicle supply side, I wonder if there's someone in townsville who could ship, he's always interested in a bulk buy? :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back