MDF for grain mill mount

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either would be fine.

Though I would use the cot paint....coz that other stuff is no good and will cause your dick to drop off :)
Cheers....spog...

Oh my god, what about all the treated timber sleepers used in raised garden beds? all the CCA preservative! I'm going to die!

Seriously, MDF poisoning you by using it as a grain mill hopper for the maybe 10-30 batches of beer you make per year? get real.

You would need a decent quantity ground up into your grain bill to make any noticeable difference. You are more likely to get poisoned from cutting the timber to build it than using it in a mill. Like someone mentioned above, when cutting it, wear a P2 respirator.

Beware - bad maths ahead...
It boils below wort (96*C), so any in your brew is likely to be vaporised during the boil.
The STEL (maximum allowable over 15 minute period) is 2.5mg/m3. If you vaporise it all off in say 15 minutes (and for this example you are breathing in all the steam coming off your boiler), you need 0.03mg of formaldehyde in your brew before you go over the STEL set by worksafe Australia.
A few MSDSs show that the percentage of formaldehyde in MDF is less than 0.1%. lets use 0.1% for the purposes of the calculation.
Therefore if formaldehyde only constitutes 0.1% of MDF by weight, then you need 30mg of MDF in your brew to go over the STEL for it.

For these calculations remember:
  • this is if you stood over the kettle and inhaled all of the steam that came off. In reality you are likely to maybe breathe in say 10%, meaning you need to have 300mg of MDF in your brew.
  • all of the formaldehyde vaporised off in 15 minutes. it is likely to take longer. If it took twice as long, you would need twice as much MDF in your beer.
  • I used the estimate of 0.1% formaldehyde in MDF. its likely to be much lower. One MSDS even states 0.0001%, meaning you need 300g of MDF in your beer).
Yes formaldehyde is a carcinogen, but the quantity you would be putting into your beer would not be noticeable.

It's great that people are being cautious, and I certainly wont call you out for being too safe. By all means, don't use MDF, there are probably better alternatives. All I'm trying to do is put some numbers out there so that people wont freak out about using MDF, I believe that in this application, its perfectly fine to use.

Sources: google MSDS
disclaimer - if MDF becomes the next asbestos (I reckon it will be SMF personally) I will not be held accountable for any injury. All info here was found using web searches and my own sub par mathematics.

Edit: Sorry couldn't resist :p : http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sites/SWA/about/Publications/Documents/639/Workplace_Exposure_Standards_for_Airborne_Contaminants.pdf

wide eyed and legless said:
Ply would be a better option but another way of looking at it is, we are making a Group 1 carcinogen so using plastic, brass fittings aluminium, even a galvanised pot to brew in would be a minor health hazard to what our delicious crafted brew can do.
Ahem, group 2 - possible human carcinogen

So, go with the non toxic varnish yeah?

i wouldn't bother personally, but yeah i guess it will help if you are worried.

Nah, not real worried. It's the herbicides, automotive chemicals and twenty years of smoking that I should be worried about. But since having kids I've changed my "she'll be right" attitude so will probably do it at some stage.
Informative thread anyhow.

Quote Alex.Tas. Ahem, group 2 - possible human carcinogen

1. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (Centre International de Recherche sur le Cancer) of the World Health Organization has classified alcohol as a Group 1 carcinogen. Its evaluation states, "There is sufficient evidence for the carcinogenicity of alcoholicbeverages in humans.

wide eyed and legless said:
Quote Alex.Tas. Ahem, group 2 - possible human carcinogen

1. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (Centre International de Recherche sur le Cancer) of the World Health Organization has classified alcohol as a Group 1 carcinogen. Its evaluation states, "There is sufficient evidence for the carcinogenicity of alcoholicbeverages in humans.
Just drink your alcohol with plenty of fluid to wash the toxins out and protein for your liver. That is why beer and sausages grow on the same tree.

Ah sorry I thought you were referring to formaldehyde being a class 1. My bad.

Regardless, the quantity of formaldehyde you would be exposed to by milling your grain from an mdf hopper is laughable.

I hang on to my (tin hoppered) mill with left arm and have the drill connected to the roller via the right hand - kinda rest it all on my belly whilst milling - what could possibly go wrong?

the fine dust from the grain probably aint too good either me thinks - makes me get a little wheezy

So this is where our society is at , all wrapped up in cotton wool . I could go on a rant but I won't . I am trying hard not to rant aaaaaagggh . I can't remember any more was it the lead or maybe the asbestos that I loved to sniff and play with as a kid it could have been the aluminium cooking pots or the carcinogenic smells coming off the new car or maybe this new unleaded petrol that is full of toulene ( which is carcinogenic ) and every f'ing ene in it to make us safe from leaded petrol . Where is me smokes aaaggh light a viscount that's better . Do what you want to do with what makes you happy in making a beer . Sure you can take on board what everyone is saying but if they jump off the cliff do you have to follow ? End of rant .

Latest posts

Back