MDF for grain mill mount

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAD

Reaction score
Finally got around to buying my own mill and have started making the mount for it. I am using 18mm MDF and was wondering if it should be sealed or it can be left raw? If it does need to be sealed what would you suggest?

If its for mounting the unit onto, no worries. If you want you could seal both faces and all 4 edges so it doesn't take up any moisture.
Use a water based varnish or paint,that way you dont have to piss about with turps.
Personally I wouldn't use it for the hopper,which you aren't ,and wear a mask when cutting or sanding that MDF shit.
Cheers....spog....

spog said:
Personally I wouldn't use it for the hopper
Why's that, Spog? I've seen plenty of pic's where MDF has been used & never heard of anyone having a problem with it as hopper-material.

I have been using my mill with mdf hopper for around three years . Do you know what the ..................... aaaaagh pfffffft . We also cooked in aluminium , what was I talking about .

Thanks for your feedback guys I'm only using it for the base my hopper is alley.might seal it to stop it from flaking.

Cheers
Anthony

OK, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here, as I'm not convinced about this formaldehyde thing. Not an attack, just seeking clarity, since I'm thinking of building a hopper out of MDF for my Crankenstein (bought 10+ years ago & never got around to it).

The way I'm thinking, the only problem folks have as hopper-material would be contact-time, but even so, the contact time with uncrushed OR crushed grain would be negligible, so what's the concern?

I'm not worried. I built my hopper out of unsealed mdf and apart from the odd bit of memory loss the only real problem is the odd bit of memory loss.

Camo6 said:
I'm not worried. I built my hopper out of unsealed mdf and apart from the odd bit of memory loss the only real problem is the odd bit of memory loss.
:icon_offtopic: You're a very silly person, Cam, & should be taken from this place to another place where there is no electricity & ......erm...I forget what suitable chastisement would be right now, but choose your own form of flagellation...

Now, back to the question....what's wrong with MDF as hopper material?

Martin, I've been waiting for an invite to Kinglake. Cheers!

However, I'm keen to know if there's any real issue using it too. I'd planned to seal my hopper but never got around to it. I know there's a lot of chemicals in mdf but if it stays dry is it likely to leech into dry grain? If that's the case I have a heap of bunnings shelves that need to be sealed for fear of contaminating anything I put on them.

I'd imagine the risk would be similar to asbestos, in its undisturbed state, perfectly safe, if sanded (atomised) or cut, probably not great if ingested

wide eyed and legless said:
It is a toxic material (formaldehyde) it would be better sealed.I would second spog not to use for a hopper.
Yep,it's a man made product,the glues or bonding agents in it are( related to) ,as Weal said formaldehyde , = preserving lab specimens/body parts.
Now I am NOT trying to put anyone off of using it,just be aware.....

daveHQ said:
I'd imagine the risk would be similar to asbestos, in its undisturbed state, perfectly safe, if sanded (atomised) or cut, probably not great if ingested
The risk is the same with anything we do or use.
As a chippy I ******* hate the shit although I grudgingly use it when and only when I am basically forced to.
But daveHQ, your comment about asbestos to me nails it on the head,I firmly believe that MDF is going to cause some serious health issues and claims in the future.
Again I hate the shit,as a material used in the building industry it's about as stable as a bogan with a paycheck on a Friday night.
Cheers....spog....

MartinOC said:
:icon_offtopic: You're a very silly person, Cam, & should be taken from this place to another place where there is no electricity & ......erm...I forget what suitable chastisement would be right now, but choose your own form of flagellation...

Now, back to the question....what's wrong with MDF as hopper material?
Camo6 said:
Martin, I've been waiting for an invite to Kinglake. Cheers!
However, I'm keen to know if there's any real issue using it too. I'd planned to seal my hopper but never got around to it. I know there's a lot of chemicals in mdf but if it stays dry is it likely to leech into dry grain? If that's the case I have a heap of bunnings shelves that need to be sealed for fear of contaminating anything I put on them.
Fair questions from both of you,but it all comes down to my personal hatred of MDF.
IMO, build your hopper with whatever you can afford or have handy,but once the manufactures sealing coat has been rubbed away or damaged the fibres which it is made of and the bonding agent are exposed.
Plywood is bonded with the same or similar glues. Man made.
Yet what is sprayed onto " natural" timber/ wood when it is imported into this country, I don't know..
Again my personal choice and the flame suit is on :).
Cheers....spog...

Formaldehyde is produced by the human body. Extra doses of it are not ideal and too much is definitely a no-no. I've dealt with plenty of MDF in the past and avoiding airborne particles of it is, in all examples I've read, strongly recommended. Strongly.
MDF dust is a known carcinogen to my understanding. Can't be arsed looking it up on the phone but almost certain it is.
If it's not airborne it's probably ok, but my preference is to err on the side of caution when it comes to contact with foodstuffs. Easy enough to use a different wood or metal product where the negative effects are more certain than MDF.
Time to donn my suit.

lol I wouldn't even look once at using it around my house I seen the skirtings where MDF 99% are fine but slowly replacing them as well not safety but I hate the stuff. I do insurance work and alot/most is water leaks or flooding and I have seen a piece of 19mm thick MDF swell upto 45mm when it got wet for long enough.

Again it comes down to cost but you can get better stuff for not much dearer and most woods are treated in a way now so I would be sealing anything, but then the paints got all sorts in it now as well to stop mould growth so best is stainless steel the rest is up to you I cant see it doing much but never know. Or just get getto and use a plastic juice bottle with wide mouth or something haha

Once it is coated it is fine,hard grain husks tumbling down the side could cause particles of MDF to come off but nowadays the formaldehyde is kept to a minimum in the bonding agent. Ply would be a better option but another way of looking at it is, we are making a Group 1 carcinogen so using plastic, brass fittings aluminium, even a galvanised pot to brew in would be a minor health hazard to what our delicious crafted brew can do.

Breathing in the grain dust is bad as well, so is DE, so is any fine powder that will stick to your lungs.

Personally I don't see why we don't just use sheets of tin for the hopper, its a lot less risky and you can get small precut sheets at bunnos.

As I'm slowly being swayed by the harbingers of doom, what would be a good sealer. Just a plain old varnish or a non toxic one you'd use on a kids cot?

Back