Mclaren Vale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McLaren Vale to Perth to East Coast? Hmmmm. quite the logistical circuit. Over desert. How will it taste?

@ Goomba. Only 25%! I'm surprised frankly. They talk like it's more. I don't know what's happening at GRB, but they are about to be pumped. Wonder how far up someone's arse Woolies get before the elbow becomes an issue? They (ALH) have big plans for that range. They honestly believe that S&A and Vale will take over the craft beer market. Already being "toolboxed" in their lower/venue management meetings. No more Fat Yak on tap for them - too much competition. Sailor Monkey Fistings for everyone!

Be interesting to see what happens to McLaren Vale once the volume/demand starts rolling according to Woollies' plans. Much like what they did to the wine market I expect.

I'm cynical. .

May craft persevere and defeat commercial interests and profiteering for the sake of it. I truly hope it does. Profit earned where profit due.

Give me a great beer at a great price, and great profit and reward to the maker and the drinker, and so be it, and let it be done.

Amen.
Cheers.

I think it'll become like the premium import market, get BUL and they'll fragment off to the w4nk3rs who want to be fashionable, and those who genuinely understand the product and continue to move onto breweries and bevvies that appeal to their idealistic nature.

Supermarkets are either trying to drive or profit from every fad, and yet each actual fad is generally driven by artisan producers who know and love their product and their genuine customers who want to or do understand what it is and why it's important.

Interesting about the meetings at Woolies - I had a lady in BWS Tassie say when I got a couple of 4ers of Vale IPA that "oh, what's that like. Apparently IPA is supposed to be the best beer ever". Now ruling out Tassie retail ignorance (of which there's plenty), it may indicate that IPA is going to be one of those marketing jargon abbreviations/acronyms used to describe something. Rather than what it is.

I have never purchase a S&A beer, on principle. I'm not paying premium price for home brand beer, any more than I'm paying premium imported price for beer out of the same factory as VB/XXXX/Tooheys.

I'd rather be dry.

Vale IPA tastes nice. All Woolies and First Choice stores sell it. There are lots of wollies and first choice stores. Its not such a bad situation.

When you cant get to your favourite bottlo or you're visiting your rellos in some bogan suburb (grew up in Melton I can say that) its nice to know there is shop nearby that sells beer that tastes nice.

Mckenry, my brother loves Vale ale too, I think his beer appreciation is reasonable. I have an uncle who loves it whos beer appreciation is rubbish at best. Personally I think its an OK Aus Pale ale.

As I revived this thread back in post 51 and asked a few questions that werent directly answered, I emailed the brewery. I appreciated the suggestions though.
Here are the figures from head brewer, Jeff Wright.
Hope he doesn't mind....
For a Vale Ale Clone

They tell us on the website its 4.5% and 25IBU with Amarillo & Cascade and crystal malt.

In Jeffs email, he kindly told me they use US-05, a touch of roast barley, along with the crystal to 40EBC (any neutral bittering hop is fine such as super pride suggested earlier) and don't forget to dry hop.

Nice of him I reckon. Sounds like a quaffer I'll enjoy making and drinking.
Only fair that I do a side by side.

Latest posts

Back