Mclaren Vale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually know that Nick Stock is a Valeale fan so if we wont trust Christie than maybe Stock will do. Anyway, I tried the beer and thought it was quite good. And from what I heard, the earlier problems this year were caused by a yeast problem which effected a lot of beers (just we didn't see it because those beers are yet to hit the shelves).

Aaron: I'm not sure what you mean by "Kit Beer", but Vale Ale is definitely an AG mashed product.
I mean it tasted like a really bad extract kit beer. I didn't say it was made from extract just tasted like it. They sure do a good impression of a really poorly made extract beer.

Stopped off at a bottle shop on the way home tomight to see a new beer in stock. Well one I have not seen before anyway. "McLaren Vale Ale" Thought I might give it a try. Kind of expected something along the lines of the Pepperjack Ale from the Barossa. However reading the label it said "A bottle conditioned PREMIUM ALE - hailing from one of the worlds greatest wine regions."

Perhaps they should stick to wine. This is by far one of the worst micro beers I have ever tasted. First impression was as follows:

Smell - Cheap kit beer smell. Reminded me of some of my earlier brews.
Mouthfeel - Extremely over carbonated. Light in mouthfeel and very bubbly.
Taste - Again like a kit beer, like a Coopers Pale mixed with a brew enhancer 2 and then bottled.

Cheers

HK

Had a couple tonight on a bit of hype I heard,pretty underwhelmed.Thought it reminded of something in aroma and carbonation.

3 hours later it hit me,dragged out a 18 month old Sparkling ale clone,partial(not a good brew).....boom thats it.A bit like my coopers sparkling ale,only the vale ale lacked the balance.Finish to dry,lack of aroma up front,very little mid palate. :p

That said I think most commercial beer drinkers would enjoy it,equate its dry finish bland hopping with a lager.I think they they were trying to make a pseudo lager.

Well anyway they should stick to wine,cause their beer is overpriced swill

to drag up an old thread...had one of these at lunch today. significantly improved beer, one I'd happily sit and enjoy all night. 9 months ago when I had it...awful kit beer. I urge all to try it again.

to drag up an old thread...had one of these at lunch today. significantly improved beer, one I'd happily sit and enjoy all night. 9 months ago when I had it...awful kit beer. I urge all to try it again.
Had it on Tuesday night at a restaurant in Surry Hills called "The Winery", great drop my only complaint was every time I ordered a Vale Ale I wouldn't get a glass with it wheras any other beer I ordered I would get a glass without fail. Really needed the glass to enjoy that fresh fruity aroma.

Just tried one that a mate gave me to try. I quite liked it, nothing too flash but a nice pale ale all the same. Could have a touch more hops but i would have liked a couple more to get more of a taste for it. I would definately try this again, but at $70 a case, i think i would still buy LCPA instead. Anyone know the hops they used?

Just tried one that a mate gave me to try. I quite liked it, nothing too flash but a nice pale ale all the same. Could have a touch more hops but i would have liked a couple more to get more of a taste for it. I would definately try this again, but at $70 a case, i think i would still buy LCPA instead. Anyone know the hops they used?

Oops my bad, should have researched the brewer first as it gives all the details of the beer. The hops are Super Alpha for bittering, Amarillo (that one i guessed) and Cascade. Also has the malt details so it shouldn't be hard for the more experienced out there to replicate.

The Kings Head Hotel in Adelaide had this on tap a couple of weeks ago, without a competent dark on tap this was my beer of the evening and was quite tasty!

:icon_offtopic: better to drag up an old thread and continue the discussion then create a new thread asking the same questions that have been answered thousands of times over again and again and again!!!!!! without bothering to use the search function in the first place......

On topic wonder if they have changed their contact brewer or have they finally started brewing it themselves...... suppose I should first google that hey... :blink:

Judging by the ad for a head brewer, I'm guessing they are or will shortly be brewing themselves :)

Judging by the ad for a head brewer, I'm guessing they are or will shortly be brewing themselves :)
I think they getting ready to go the next step. I didn't notice it in the thread but i think they are related to the Salopian Inn.

Tried a Vale Ale over the weekend, and both me and the missus was very impressed.

Prehaps a little thin on the body, but the hop notes were great. I could really get stuck into a few, and gladly will again soon.

Sounds like they have improved alot. I have no complaints.

Hop flavour was great. I'm into high hop flavour beers. Not very bitter, so the hops are a mid-late boil addition.

Amarillo was easy to pick up.

Another beer that uses Amarillo in that "wow" flavour profile, is Mildura's Stormy Cloud Ale. It was because of this beer naming amarillo, that I picked up Amarillo so easily in the Vale Ale.

Went to dinner at the Coopers Ale House last night with a few mates from out of town, and thought I'd try a Vale Ale.

Served in a wine glass, so I had to explain to my mates what it was, while they looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"uhh uhh its from McLaren vale Winery, its just their marketing spin on things.." not so convincing in the front bar while they're drinking pints. Maybe if I was at a sit down dinner and it was bought out to me that way, anyway I'm waffling

Vale_Ale.JPG

A nice pale haze to the beer, small amount of head that didn't hang around, which probably gives sign to its light body, and thin mouthfeel.

No real aroma that I could detect, but it was served very cold. I would say < 4 degrees.

I could get the flavour hops, as the beer is light enough for them to come through, Couldn't put my finger on the hops - I thought cascade, but I always think that, and i'm right 50% of the time, so I stopped trying to taste for them because I would have only been guessing, and would have reduced my average. Slight citrusy tones in any case. I missed the bitterness I thought I'd get, so overall, it gave me a light, hopped pale, that I could see being enjoyed in summer, by those who stick to the mainstream. Probably what they are aiming for this beer looks like it is all about marketing. I didn't mind it - would drink again when the weather is warmer, and if its out of a pot with a handle. And someone else bought it for me.

Went to dinner at the Coopers Ale House last night with a few mates from out of town, and thought I'd try a Vale Ale.

Served in a wine glass, so I had to explain to my mates what it was, while they looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"uhh uhh its from McLaren vale Winery, its just their marketing spin on things.." not so convincing in the front bar while they're drinking pints. Maybe if I was at a sit down dinner and it was bought out to me that way, anyway I'm waffling

View attachment 40013

A nice pale haze to the beer, small amount of head that didn't hang around, which probably gives sign to its light body, and thin mouthfeel.

No real aroma that I could detect, but it was served very cold. I would say < 4 degrees.

I could get the flavour hops, as the beer is light enough for them to come through, Couldn't put my finger on the hops - I thought cascade, but I always think that, and i'm right 50% of the time, so I stopped trying to taste for them because I would have only been guessing, and would have reduced my average. Slight citrusy tones in any case. I missed the bitterness I thought I'd get, so overall, it gave me a light, hopped pale, that I could see being enjoyed in summer, by those who stick to the mainstream. Probably what they are aiming for this beer looks like it is all about marketing. I didn't mind it - would drink again when the weather is warmer, and if its out of a pot with a handle. And someone else bought it for me.

I'd say this is closer to an American Pale Ale rather than an Australian. Definitely Cascade and Amarillo, maybe some Chinook too.
I quite like it, it's better than most beer available in pubs and I like the fact that it tastes like homebrew. Who wouldn't rather drink homebrew than the usual commercial crud available?

Tasted this over a year ago,was under whelmed generally.

Really surprised with the hops,obviously not using enough.Nothing about this beer stood out,except that I wouldn't buy it again.

For a hop combo I really enjoy,vale ale is very ordinary.Probably was expecting more after what Knappstein accomplished.

Vale ale certainly rings true in Latin,"Aeternum vale"

This beer is intermittently on tap at the Bull & Bear on King William St.

Rooting Kings and I shall be there at noon for a few pints today. :icon_cheers:

This beer is intermittently on tap at the Bull & Bear on King William St.

Rooting Kings and I shall be there at noon for a few pints today. :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic: Maybe an Oktoberfest then a Vale :icon_chickcheers:

Back on the Vale - tends to be really good out of the tap - good hop flavour, well balanced and an easy drinker. Definitely a mass marketed beer not over hopped, not overly bitter but gee its easy to drink and a pleasure. But more often than not it is terrible in the bottle. Just another micro I will not buy bottles from but will happily drink the tapped beer.

:icon_offtopic: Maybe an Oktoberfest then a Vale :icon_chickcheers:

Back on the Vale - tends to be really good out of the tap - good hop flavour, well balanced and an easy drinker. Definitely a mass marketed beer not over hopped, not overly bitter but gee its easy to drink and a pleasure. But more often than not it is terrible in the bottle. Just another micro I will not buy bottles from but will happily drink the tapped beer.

isnt it brewed out of AIB?

Back