Maybe The Most Annoying Thing Ever...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbocore

Reaction score
...is coming home and checking if your batch of all grain ale you slaved over all day to see if the yeast is firing to discover the tap has popped out and your 22l's has halved.

I'm so angry i could throw a midget.

Hmm, that is indeed an arse. My condolences on your loss.

What sort of tap and how could it have 'popped out'? Just some hints that may protect us from such an annoying occurrence. Plus the clean up to add insult to injury. Mind you nearly not as annoying as travelling by train (I work off peak hours) and having to listen to the conversations of groups of fifteen year old low socioeconomic girls. (like Jodie's fckn hair extensions are so like fckn like feraaaaaaallllll like....) Insert icon for grumpy old ******* here :blink:

standard fermenter tap, tightened right up and its popped out one thread so its still in there but just loose enough to drip.

My taps have started dripping of late... Might be time to replace them to avoid having (wanting) to throw a midget.

Is it possible you over tightened the tap ?I've got a stuffed shoulder so you will have to throw you own hight challenged person. ;)
GB

Is that the same as a low bum?

I have had this with fermenters. I found that the white/neutral taps have better (deeper?) thread, and also that the Bunnings fermenters seem to have thicker plastic around the female thread and result in a more positive seal. I had one fermenter that I could only tighen up so that the tap was at about 4 o'clock without it jumping a thread, which was a pain in the proverbial.

Tis a sad tale you have there Gibbo, hope there was not too much damage.

Friday night I had a 1Lt flask with Wyeast 1968 London ESB yeast in it culturing away with a bung and airlock in place,. She was bubbling away nicely and after a few beers I decided to give it a bit of a shake to stir things up a bit. Holding down the bung with one thumb and the other thumb over the airlock. I gave it an all mighty shake. The bung exploded out the top covering me, my computer, the ceiling, the walls (including the collection of guitars hanging on the wall), stereo, desk, Amp with yeast. With SWMBO watching from the kitchen, slapping her thighs, pointing, pissing herself laughing after seeing the whole thing unfold.....there's me with yeast all over my face with my hair blown back like a cartoon

So to answer the question "Maybe The Most Annoying Thing Ever..."

My wife :blink:

Oh.. I was expecting to see;

- A comment about another mud stirring post from a forum member
- Someone complaining about all the 'I haven't got my polo short yet' whingers
- A newbie asking why his airlock isn't bubbling

But no, I can see how losing all that beer would also be very annoying.

:ph34r:

Jeddog your missus is like mine, i was repairing the pool pump a few winters ago, the water was less than 8*c my hands were freezing, it had seized and i had a good half liter of oil poured down it to try to free it up, about 99% of which had come out the other side and spilt on the cement paving along with a few liters of water.
My missus said it was kinda like a geyser and she didn't know what went into the pool until she saw me come flying back out like a pilot ejecting from a plane.
I had slipped up and hit the wall of the pool as i fell in with a half nelson and side twist. Wearing overalls i bought half the pool out with me, like a fisherman with full waders...
She was watching from the balcony and it took her 30 mins to stop laughing....
It took 30 mins in the shower to warm up and for the bruises to show....

I buy new taps at Bunnings every few brews now, $1.50 each, i buy a handful and change them when i feel like it. Usually it's because the other ones have become stiff.

PS Gibbo the urge to lick it up from the floor would have been extreme for me and i probably would have at least got the dog onto it so it didn't go totally to waste...

BTW i found the dog crap is full of grains the last few weeks, seem she is eating the spent grains from the garden when they are still warm....

haha, some funny stories here... makes me feel a bit better. my missus thinks its funny to make light of the lovely caramel aroma in the garage.

Oh and yep, over tightened tap.

...is coming home and checking if your batch of all grain ale you slaved over all day to see if the yeast is firing to discover the tap has popped out and your 22l's has halved.

I'm so angry i could throw a midget.

forget the brew - somebody get this guy a midget, we have to see this.

Latest posts

Back