Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope the kid is ok Matho
Are there any boards still available?

Only just caught up on this topic, I am very sorry to hear your news Matho and I wish you and your Daughter all the best. I used to work in Neuro and it's extraordinarily hard seeing kids coming in, I couldn't even imagine what it would be like as a parent.

thanks for all the well wishes, she is slowly waking up and each day there is a small improvement.

sinkas I have no more boards available but I think tynian is ordering more if I'm not mistaken

cheers steve

Hi guys,

I have had an email from the pcb manufacturer and the boards have been shipped.

I would expect that they will arrive in the next week or so.

Just a note for all those interested, I am only supplying the pcb, not the components.

For those who indicated an interest in the board, I will let you know the cost and payment method via pm.

Cheers
Rob

Hey Bonj, I am a complete noob* at this and am not sure how to get things going.

*I speak & comprehend 'computer speak' as good as I speak & comprehend German, Italian etc.

I downloaded the Arduino program and unzipped it.
I plugged in the two boards through the mini usb.
Updated the driver and it shows as a USB serial port on Com3.
Opened Arduino.
I sketch/compiled Matho's eeprom to the boards.
I tried to sketch/compile the braudino2 to them and got these error messages:

brauduino2:27: error: 'OneWire' does not name a type
brauduino2:101: error: 'PID' does not name a type
brauduino2.cpp: In function 'void Temperature()':
brauduino2:195: error: 'ds' was not declared in this scope
brauduino2.cpp: In function 'void PID_HEAT()':
brauduino2:239: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
brauduino2:243: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
brauduino2.cpp: In function 'void load_pid_settings()':
brauduino2:263: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
brauduino2.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
brauduino2:1008: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
brauduino2:1008: error: 'AUTOMATIC' was not declared in this scope

Can you talk me through it?

I'm not Bonj, but it sounds like you're missing the PID and OneWire libraries from your Arduino IDE.

You'll need to get:
OneWire: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/OneWire http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/arduino_libraries/OneWire.zip
PID: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/PIDLibrary https://github.com/br3ttb/Arduino-PID-Library/zipball/master

Download the libraries linked above, and place them in "My Documents\Arduino\libraries\" (assuming Windows).

Restart the Arduino IDE, and then re-try the build.
Should be good to go from there :)

Okay, you are missing some libraries. Close down the arduino program and....

You will need to install:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/arduino_libraries/OneWire.zip
https://github.com/br3ttb/Arduino-PID-Library/zipball/master

into My Documents\Arduino\libraries\

(I had to google the library location for windows, so I hope that is correct)

Now restart the arduino program, and you should be good to go... let me know if you get any more errors

Hey Bonj, I am a complete noob* at this and am not sure how to get things going.

*I speak & comprehend 'computer speak' as good as I speak & comprehend German, Italian etc.

I downloaded the Arduino program and unzipped it.
I plugged in the two boards through the mini usb.
Updated the driver and it shows as a USB serial port on Com3.
Opened Arduino.
I sketch/compiled Matho's eeprom to the boards.
I tried to sketch/compile the braudino2 to them and got these error messages:

brauduino2:27: error: 'OneWire' does not name a type
brauduino2:101: error: 'PID' does not name a type
brauduino2.cpp: In function 'void Temperature()':
brauduino2:195: error: 'ds' was not declared in this scope
brauduino2.cpp: In function 'void PID_HEAT()':
brauduino2:239: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
brauduino2:243: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
brauduino2.cpp: In function 'void load_pid_settings()':
brauduino2:263: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
brauduino2.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
brauduino2:1008: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
brauduino2:1008: error: 'AUTOMATIC' was not declared in this scope

Can you talk me through it?

To compile the code additional libraries will need to be installed, the instructions on how to install libraries are found HERE
and the libraries are the 'onewire' library found HERE and
the PIDV1 library found HERE

once they are installed you should be able to compile the code with out errors

cheers steve

Malted

Matho mentions waaay back how to do it. This way worked perfectly for me.

I think Matho played around with these libraries to suit his code??

Cheers

Malted

Matho mentions waaay back how to do it. This way worked perfectly for me.

I think Matho played around with these libraries to suit his code??

Cheers
Yes he did play around with the PID library, but decided not to use the customised version in the end, in favour of just setting the ouput to 100% when the current temp is 5 or more C below the target.

I have used the custom version in my HERMS controller though.

hi guys, got my brauduino all wired up with my best dodgy soldering skills. The program works with everything bar the heater output. I get no voltage out of the Heater + and - wondering if there is anything I can check? Whilst I was trying to be intelligent and fix it my self I managed to short an Audrino board so brought one of the Jaycar "freetronics Eleven" boards, which doesn't seem to read the temp probe. All I got was 85 degrees, now it is 0. :( wondering If I have totally broken it. Any thoughts.....Is it a throw of the balcony and start again..... <_<

Sorry to hear the news Matho, Best whishes for your family.

hi guys, got my brauduino all wired up with my best dodgy soldering skills. The program works with everything bar the heater output. I get no voltage out of the Heater + and - wondering if there is anything I can check? Whilst I was trying to be intelligent and fix it my self I managed to short an Audrino board so brought one of the Jaycar "freetronics Eleven" boards, which doesn't seem to read the temp probe. All I got was 85 degrees, now it is 0. :( wondering If I have totally broken it. Any thoughts.....Is it a throw of the balcony and start again..... <_<

Sorry to hear the news Matho, Best whishes for your family.

Rodda,
Make sure your DS18B20 is wired correctly and you have the terminals welded nicely to the board. Tightening up the terminals can pop the welds off, make sure this hasn't happened. I'll play around with it tonight to see if I can get 85 and 0 to show.
As for the heater output does the red LED light up? I'm assuming you have it wired up to a SSR? If you have a multimeter check for shorts across the heater transistor legs. I had heaps of issues with the transistors and if they are shorted i definitely know there is no output on the corresponding terminals.
If you wire up the 12V input terminals incorrectly there is no protection for the arduino board and will destroy it!

The freetronics eleven board should definitely work with the brauduino and most likely wont be the issue. Double check all welds for shorts and let us know how you go.

Cheers

85 degs is the default temperature that is written to the 'scratchpad' when the DS18B20 is first powered up, sometimes you will see this when the brauduino is first turned on but will disappear when the next temperature read happens. If your getting it all the time then it looks like something is not right with the DS18B20 or there is a loose connection somewhere resetting the DS18B20 all the time. 0 degs means you have a short between - and the D terminal which to me would indicate the DS18B20 is not working correctly.

Please make sure you have only one jumper in at the 12V position as putting one in the 5v will short the 12v rail an 5v rail together. Get a multimeter and check the voltage at the + side of the heater LED it should be +5V to - when the heat is on and 0v when the heat is off. If that is OK then I would suspect the LED, either it has gone open circuit or its back to front. If the LED lights up but no voltage across the output then its probably the transistor that has gone.

cheers steve

Thanks for the help guys, I'll check the welds for any loose or dodgy looking ones.

I had the heater output wired up to an ssr. Led was not lighting for the heater, I've pulled out the LEDs to rewire and resolder them and I'll check the voltage. I've also ordered another ds18b20 to compare. I have the display showing 0 with no probe wired up which seems like I have a short on the board. I'll do some testing and see what happens.

I've got one jumper on the 12v, that's how I fried the arduino by dropping the multimeter metal a tip across both rails :(

Thanks again for the help, I'm slowly learning!

I did make beer a few days ago manually flicking the heater on and off, rest of the controller was great just no heater! Can't wait to get it going

Thanks for the help guys, I'll check the welds for any loose or dodgy looking ones.

I had the heater output wired up to an ssr. Led was not lighting for the heater, I've pulled out the LEDs to rewire and resolder them and I'll check the voltage. I've also ordered another ds18b20 to compare. I have the display showing 0 with no probe wired up which seems like I have a short on the board. I'll do some testing and see what happens.

I've got one jumper on the 12v, that's how I fried the arduino by dropping the multimeter metal a tip across both rails :(

Thanks again for the help, I'm slowly learning!

I did make beer a few days ago manually flicking the heater on and off, rest of the controller was great just no heater! Can't wait to get it going

yeah if your getting 0 deg with the sensor removed then there is a short between pin 11 and ground. There is a ground plane surrounding all tracks so a little too much solder and heat could cause a short, check that there is a gap around the solder pads. The boards have a solder mask so if there is just the right amount of solder and not too hot an iron then there should be no shorts, if you have too much solder and it gets too hot then it will melt the solder mask and you will get shorts. It does seem strange that the first arduino board read the temp but the second one won't.

cheers steve

Ok if your buying parts from Jaycar I would go with the BC547 as it has the right pin out for the board and they only sell one type. I originally designed the board for BC547's but I went with 2N2222a as they have a higher current rating (500mA compared to 100mA) but the BC547 will easily handle the 34mA that the relay will draw.

cheers steve
Hi steve,

I know you have much more important problems at the moment & understand if your too busy or don't want to reply.
I'm not in a hurry as the rest of the Braumiser build isn't finished yet. Anyway, my problem is that I have a nice looking box all wired up & ready to go but it doesn't work :lol:
When I power up my controller the relay clicks & displays as in the photo.
Controller.jpg
When I tested it earlier in the build the display would show two lines (never any characters), the heat light would come on & the beeper would stay on, also none of the buttons did anything. I've been over the boards numerous times over the last month looking for faults but am beginning to think I must have originally zapped the chip on the Brauduino with static. Do you think this could be a possibility & if so could the existing chip be reprogrammed, or would it be kaput? I'm waiting for a cable to arrive so I can program it through a USB connector.
I bought the BC547's to replace the 2N2222a's in the kit so I don't think this could have anything to do with it. Any input would be much appreciated.

Best wishes to you & your family & I hope your daughter is back home with you all soon with a smile on her little face.

Hey Real Beer.

I would just see how you go when you try to reprogram it.
Hope it works out mate.

Hey Matho
Hope your little one is getting better.

Hey Real Beer.

I would just see how you go when you try to reprogram it.
I took my time putting it together, fluxed all the joints & used a variable power soldering iron, but then forgot to earth myself before handling the chip. It might not be the problem but given the different displays, beeps & light shows it seems to be the most probable cause. I think I'll just buy another chip anyway and start fresh when the cable arrives, its on a slow boat from China at the moment.

Your fascia sticker also looks heaps better than it shows up in the photo, I'm very happy with it.

cheers

I took my time putting it together, fluxed all the joints & used a variable power soldering iron, but then forgot to earth myself before handling the chip. It might not be the problem but given the different displays, beeps & light shows it seems to be the most probable cause. I think I'll just buy another chip anyway and start fresh when the cable arrives, its on a slow boat from China at the moment.

Your fascia sticker also looks heaps better than it shows up in the photo, I'm very happy with it.

cheers

hey real_beer, the chips are fairly rugged and handling them with out earthing yourself shouldn't fry them. To me it sounds like the tranistors are not right but I can't tell without actually having the unit. I would say the screen needs the contast adjusted ( the trimpot) but I would expect both the lines to be dark not just one. I don't have much time at the moment and I know your a long way away but if you get stuck post it back to me and I'll fix it for you.

cheers

Back