Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you follow the instructions that I'm making up you should end up with something that looks like this

finished2.JPG

finished1.JPG

using a manufactured boards, a switchmode power supply and a SSR has made the internals a lot neater

almostfinished.JPG

Note: the kit I'm making up is only for the shield, all the other parts like the box, push buttons, heatsink, SSR, power supply and connectors will have to be sourced by yourself. Even though I will be supplying instructions on wiring the unit all 240V wiring should be check by a qualified person before use

Thats a thing of beauty mate!

Very impressed....

That looks awesome, metho!

Thats a thing of beauty mate!

Very impressed....

That looks awesome, metho!

Thanks guys

nice work gays (sic).

:lol:

Oh and if anyone is wondering about this unit I built, it is already spoken for cause I'm building another braumiser for a mate of mine who lives in the city and doesn't have enough room for a large brewery. This braumiser will have a brown pump instead of a march pump and maybe a slightly larger malt pipe.

cheers steve

While I'm waiting patiently in line, I'm getting a Crown Urn and a 'Brown Pump' - not the most exiting name for a bit of kit.
Has this pump been discussed before on another thread - don't want to divert this one - eg. can it be throttled back on outlet like a march, can it pass small particles....?

Hi Matho,

I'm new to AHB, I just move to Australia a month ago. I planed to make clone of the BM using Arduino controller to control it so I'm very pleased to see what you have done, it's practically what I was aiming for. I came across your this thread by searching on Google.

Is there still a change of getting one kit and maybe one bear PCB? I will won't need it the first shipment of ten which you had made since I haven't assembled the brewing unit yet.

I was planning on making one with a TFT touch screen and a SD card (camera card) to save information of the process and things like that, but that is a long way down the line. I guess that I'll need an Arduino mega for that. Where did you get the PCB printed?

Any way count me in if there are still some available.

Cheers,
Frosti.

Hi Matho,

I'm new to AHB, I just move to Australia a month ago. I planed to make clone of the BM using Arduino controller to control it so I'm very pleased to see what you have done, it's practically what I was aiming for. I came across your this thread by searching on Google.

Is there still a change of getting one kit and maybe one bear PCB? I will won't need it the first shipment of ten which you had made since I haven't assembled the brewing unit yet.

I was planning on making one with a TFT touch screen and a SD card (camera card) to save information of the process and things like that, but that is a long way down the line. I guess that I'll need an Arduino mega for that. Where did you get the PCB printed?

Any way count me in if there are still some available.

Cheers,
Frosti.

hey frostih,

first of all welcome to AHB, this is a great site with a good bunch of brewer.

I will definitely have spare PCB's, if anyone drops of the list of 30 then you will be next, I got the PCB's made up HERE, they are very good with communication and do a good price.

HERE is the link to the latest code for the brauduino if you missed it
it complies to about 14.6k which leaves a bit of space but not much

cheers steve

While I'm waiting patiently in line, I'm getting a Crown Urn and a 'Brown Pump' - not the most exiting name for a bit of kit.
Has this pump been discussed before on another thread - don't want to divert this one - eg. can it be throttled back on outlet like a march, can it pass small particles....?

hey yorg the brown pump can be throttled back just like the march pump but I don't know how well the handle small particles maybe someone who has used one could comment

cheers steve

hey yorg the brown pump can be throttled back just like the march pump but I don't know how well the handle small particles maybe someone who has used one could comment

cheers steve

yeah, i'm sure they can be throttled back too. They can handle some debris, just probably not heaps of it...not sure about if a march can or not, never used one.

Last brewday with my brown pump, i pulled the impeller housing off the pump to have a look inside to see if it needed cleaning, and there was a (single) grain husk caught in the blades. Didn't affect the operation of the pump as far as i could tell. The brewday went well (besides blowing an element but that's another well covered story in another thread) and i only discovered the grain husk upon opening the pump out of curiosity...

They can handle some debris, just probably not heaps of it...not sure about if a march can or not, never used one.

I have had whole hop cones in my 809 March pump in the 3V system. They will make a bit of noise but if you close off the flow they will chew them (whole hop cones) up and then will pass through when you re-open the flow. Smaller bits of hop cones and grains etc pass through no worries, it may make a jitter or a noise but will pass through.

The only concern I would have with using a March pump is that the motor end is not a sealed unit. The Braumeister pump is a sealed unit and is thus convienient for cleaning purposes, you just drag the BM out and hose it down. You would have to be a bit more precise than that when cleaning a Braumiser with a March pump. Not a deal breaker, just something to be aware of (i.e a splash shield etc).

I use a 12 VDC march which is sealed. However the pump is attached to the urn with a union nut, just undo it and remove to clean. Thanks malted cause i think it was your post with the union nut link.
cheers
sean

Union nut on top of pump.IMG_1886_1.JPG

not that there's anything wrong with that

Looking great matho.....cant wait to see the results of the first test.

BlackRat.

I should find time on friday to run the unit on my hlt and I'll hook up a 12v pump to recirc the water to fully test it out.

I'll be sending out PM's as soon as I have finished the instructions

cheers steve

I should find time on friday to run the unit on my hlt and I'll hook up a 12v pump to recirc the water to fully test it out.

I'll be sending out PM's as soon as I have finished the instructions

cheers steve

Great news Steve!

Have you arrived at a cost? And a final ball park build cost?

Ok so the price of the kit will be $45 which includes postage to anywhere in australia.

The total cost of the build is hard to say as it depends on your choices but to build the box in the picture
it cost

Kit $45
Bonjuino $22.50
12v powersupply $7 Ebay
SSR $4.95 Ebay
BOX $23.95 jaycar HB6224
IEC power Male $4.95 jaycar PP4009
IEC power female $4.95 jaycar PS4002
3 x black pushbuttons $14.85 jaycar SP0656
1 x red pushbutton $4.95 jayacr SP0657
2 pin connector M $2.95 jaycar PP2013
4 pin connector M $2.95 jaycar PP2010
2 pin connector F $2.95 jaycar PS2014
4 pin connector F $2.95 jaycar PS2012
Heatsink $8.95 jaycar HH8572
---------------------------------------------------
total: $153.85

tools required:
wire cutters/strippers
fine point soldering iron
drill and drill bits
hacksaw and files

now there will be extra costs like wires, heatshrink, heatsink compound and mounting standoffs and screws
I used wires off an old ATA PC powersupply which were 18awg and V90 rated which is good for 300v and 15amps

cheers steve

Latest posts

Back