Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320995231906 for flashing arduino. Seems to be the same as the littlebird ones linked earlier but a heap cheaper. Unlike the other cheap ebay one linked, this one has a socket instead of pins, so can interface with our bonjuinos more easily :)
That is exactly what you need. Nice find and nice price!

Are there other types of temperature sensors that could be read by mathos shield (with appropriate code modifications of course) that have a higher max temperature? I tried searching but wasn't very lucky, then again I have no idea what to look for (just searched for digital temperature sensor)

I think this could be set up as a coffee roaster controller as well, but would need to read temperatures accurately in the 150-250 range

What are you guys doing to insulate the terminals from the heating element protruding from the bottom of the pot.

I want to keep it separate from the controller enclosure as I plan on making this removable, but safety is a major concern to me.

Ok, I have answered my own question. I have machines some 20mm round black delrin, drilled a hole down the center and tapped one end 3/8 BSP approx 20mm deep.
I then just thread the wire through the centre connect it to the element and screw the new delrin insulator over the remaining thread. I will also put a short len of heatshrink over the end to stop anything going up inside.

This way the element terminals are safely out of reach.

P1010357.jpg

P1010358.jpg

Are there other types of temperature sensors that could be read by mathos shield (with appropriate code modifications of course) that have a higher max temperature? I tried searching but wasn't very lucky, then again I have no idea what to look for (just searched for digital temperature sensor)

I think this could be set up as a coffee roaster controller as well, but would need to read temperatures accurately in the 150-250 range

it could be done but using a k type thermocoupler or a pt100 rtd would require the use of one of the a/d converters and a good bit of electronics to condition the signal before it gets to the a/d converter like THIS, the reason for using ds18b20 is how simple it is to use being ditgial.

Ok, I have answered my own question. I have machines some 20mm round black delrin, drilled a hole down the center and tapped one end 3/8 BSP approx 20mm deep.
I then just thread the wire through the centre connect it to the element and screw the new delrin insulator over the remaining thread. I will also put a short len of heatshrink over the end to stop anything going up inside.

This way the element terminals are safely out of reach.

P1010357.jpg

P1010358.jpg

looks really good, very handy having access to a lathe

cheers steve

changed the code so that when the boil is entered the pump rest flag is set to false

CODE

cheers steve

Hey Matho, any way I can easily remove / disable the pump rest? I have had a look but confused myself.

Hey Matho, any way I can easily remove / disable the pump rest? I have had a look but confused myself.

void pump_rest (int stage)
{
if (stage==9){
pumpRest = false;
if (Temp_c= 95)tempReached = true;
}
else{
pumptempError = stageTemp-Temp_c;
if (pumptempError = 10)){ // pump rest
digitalWrite(Pump,LOW);
digitalWrite(Heat,LOW);
pumpRest = true;
if(pumpTime>=12 || (pumptempError > 1.0))pumpTime = 0;
}
}
}
this is the change that I made to the code to fix the problem but to completly remove the pump rest would require to delete this

{
if (stage==9){
pumpRest = false;
if (Temp_c<94.0) digitalWrite(Pump,HIGH);
else digitalWrite(Pump,LOW);

if (Temp_c >= 95)tempReached = true;
}
else{
pumptempError = stageTemp-Temp_c;
if (pumptempError <= 0)tempReached = true;
if ((pumpTime < 10)){ // starts pumps and heat
digitalWrite(Pump,HIGH);
pumpRest =false;
}
if ((pumpTime >= 10)){ // pump rest
digitalWrite(Pump,LOW);
digitalWrite(Heat,LOW);
pumpRest = true;
if(pumpTime>=12 || (pumptempError > 1.0))pumpTime = 0;
}

}
}

I think that should do it you need to keep the pump rest fuction to keep the temperature reached part so that the stage timing works

cheers steve

}

I think that should do it you need to keep the pump rest fuction to keep the temperature reached part so that the stage timing works

cheers steve

Cheers, will have a play with it later.

Note that i have reused one of your later scripts and reconfigured it for my 3v brewing.
However i still get that silly hop additions being ignored every first time i run it after updating.

Seems to work flawlessly after that.

it could be done but using a k type thermocoupler or a pt100 rtd would require the use of one of the a/d converters and a good bit of electronics to condition the signal before it gets to the a/d converter like THIS, the reason for using ds18b20 is how simple it is to use being ditgial.

Yeah this is what I suspected, thanks for clearing it up!

a big thanks for that steve i can believe you got it sorted so quick

cheers Dave

Hi All

I need some help uploading the code to my Arduino board.

I have purchased a Ardunio Uno R3 board That I am trying to upload the code to from Matho's file listed on this forum.

Each time I upload I get the following errors.

Brauduino_rev_2:28: error: 'OneWire' does not name a type
Brauduino_rev_2:102: error: 'PID' does not name a type
Brauduino_rev_2.ino: In function 'void Temperature()':
Brauduino_rev_2:196: error: 'ds' was not declared in this scope
Brauduino_rev_2.ino: In function 'void PID_HEAT()':
Brauduino_rev_2:240: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
Brauduino_rev_2:244: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
Brauduino_rev_2.ino: In function 'void load_pid_settings()':
Brauduino_rev_2:264: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
Brauduino_rev_2.ino: In function 'void setup()':
Brauduino_rev_2:1010: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
Brauduino_rev_2:1010: error: 'AUTOMATIC' was not declared in this scope

I have the latest version of Ardunio 1.02 and running on my Macosx Mountain Lion

I can upload test codes from the programs test files.

Do I need to have it plugged into the Brauduino board to upload the code?

Am I missing some settings that need changing in the program?

Can anyone walk me through this.

Thanks

Hi All

I need some help uploading the code to my Arduino board.

I have purchased a Ardunio Uno R3 board That I am trying to upload the code to from Matho's file listed on this forum.

Each time I upload I get the following errors.

Brauduino_rev_2:28: error: 'OneWire' does not name a type
Brauduino_rev_2:102: error: 'PID' does not name a type
Brauduino_rev_2.ino: In function 'void Temperature()':
Brauduino_rev_2:196: error: 'ds' was not declared in this scope
Brauduino_rev_2.ino: In function 'void PID_HEAT()':
Brauduino_rev_2:240: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
Brauduino_rev_2:244: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
Brauduino_rev_2.ino: In function 'void load_pid_settings()':
Brauduino_rev_2:264: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
Brauduino_rev_2.ino: In function 'void setup()':
Brauduino_rev_2:1010: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
Brauduino_rev_2:1010: error: 'AUTOMATIC' was not declared in this scope

I have the latest version of Ardunio 1.02 and running on my Macosx Mountain Lion

I can upload test codes from the programs test files.

Do I need to have it plugged into the Brauduino board to upload the code?

Am I missing some settings that need changing in the program?

Can anyone walk me through this.

Thanks

Your errors indicate that you haven't installed the libraries required. You will need the OneWire library from here: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_OneWire.html
and the PID library from here: http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/PIDLibrary

You will need to install them with the instructions here: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Libraries

For some reason my element turns on for 2-5 minutes every time i use it after a small break.. As in its *always* on.
This seems to sort itself after a few minutes so i simply dont plug in the element until i have sorted my mash schedule etc etc and works fine.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have a feeling it might be my SSR or a capacitor or something causing it?

I had a quick look at the code and it looks like if the last stage finishes on a pump rest then the pump rest flag doesn't get reset and it will display 'pump rest' all the time so I'll have to change the code a bit to reset the pump rest flag in the boil stage. It should continue to do its thing but you won't be able to see anything but 'pump rest' so it should be changed. I'll work on it later tonight. Cheers wotafm for finding this, I'm glad people are starting to use the brauduino's and finding gliches like these.

cheers steve
Hi Steve,

I had my maiden voyage yesterday and this exact thing happened to me.

Will i need to upload the new code to fix this?

Otherwise, it ran perfectly - I am so happy with the end result. I will post some pics later :) for now though, I have an Irish read ale bubbling away in the fermentation fridge :)

Cheers
Rob

Hi Steve,

I had my maiden voyage yesterday and this exact thing happened to me.

Will i need to upload the new code to fix this?

Otherwise, it ran perfectly - I am so happy with the end result. I will post some pics later :) for now though, I have an Irish read ale bubbling away in the fermentation fridge :)

Cheers
Rob

The latest code should fix that problem CODE, all the change was is to set the pumpRest boolean to false when stage 9 (boil) is entered. Awesome job Rob glad its working for you.

cheers steve

The latest code should fix that problem CODE, all the change was is to set the pumpRest boolean to false when stage 9 (boil) is entered. Awesome job Rob glad its working for you.

cheers steve

Thanks Steve.

I must admit that without the help of the guys like yourself on this forum I would never have attempted anything like this. It has been such fun.

Cheers
Rob

Tonight I have been hooking up all the 240 power to the power supply and 25A SSR and noticed a strange thing with the SSR. In place of connecting my heating element I hooked up a small wattage light bulb to check all is ok in manual and auto mode and I noticed when the ssr is off the light bulb would still blink for a fraction of a second every second or two. Then when I would switch the heat circuit on the bulb would light up as normal. With the heat circuit off and the bulb continues with the blinking.

Is this how a SSR works by sensing a load etc. I tried 2 different SSR's and they both do the same.

Is this normal for a SSR?

Tonight I have been hooking up all the 240 power to the power supply and 25A SSR and noticed a strange thing with the SSR. In place of connecting my heating element I hooked up a small wattage light bulb to check all is ok in manual and auto mode and I noticed when the ssr is off the light bulb would still blink for a fraction of a second every second or two. Then when I would switch the heat circuit on the bulb would light up as normal. With the heat circuit off and the bulb continues with the blinking.

Is this how a SSR works by sensing a load etc. I tried 2 different SSR's and they both do the same.

Is this normal for a SSR?

Was this happening all the time or only when the unit was in auto mode?

cheers steve

Code:
Was this happening all the time or only when the unit was in auto mode?

cheers steve

Same thing here,
Except my bulb is a dull glow in off, and when i turn it on its a bright glow.

Don't SSR's always have a bit of leakage? was my understanding.
i.e. In the off position they still leak like 0.01 amps which unfortunately is enough to power a bulb / led.

Latest posts

Back