Masters Hardware Paint Wacker for BIAB Mash Tool

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuperman

Reaction score
Rang Home Depot but their "mash weapon" (S/S Potato Masher) is not currently in stock. I'd need to order it. That's fine but doesn't help me for Sunday's brew. So, I was driving passed Masters and picked up their Paint Wacker for $2.60 (half-price). Looks a lot like the Bunnings Paint Mixer ($10.99) that a lot of people talk about in these forums.

Has anyone tried it or have any reason why I would not want to put this in my mash (e.g. different plastic)?

Home depot:
masher hd.jpg

Masters:
masher masters.jpg

Bunnings:
masher bunnings.JPG

I got one of the ones you did, but i got mine from Mitre 10. It works really well, and can get the mash moving well, as well as scrape around the bottom of the bag.

Mine is red though so will probably work better than yours.

I use the Paint Wacker style for my biab, though I never knew it was called that, now that I do, I'll going to name him Paint Wacker

I like how 'Paint Wacker' mashes, he can then scrape the concealed element if it gets a bit caramelized during the boil and he also comes into play during the ole, squeeze the bag process, with the urn lid on the opposite side
Paint Wacker is a terracotta colour, though I wish he was red like Alex's

I just use an old whisk from the kitchen. In such a loose mash it doesnt need much effort to mix

I've got a stainless one, diff to the pic in the OP though.
It does a terrific job, but now I wish it was red...

I'm pretty sure I have a tin of old (lead-based) red paint in the shed, might give ol' stainless a touch-up, what could go wrong?

Kumamoto_Ken said:
I've got a stainless one, diff to the pic in the OP though.
It does a terrific job, but now I wish it was red...

I'm pretty sure I have a tin of old (lead-based) red paint in the shed, might give ol' stainless a touch-up, what could go wrong?
Make sure you age the beer in barrels made from CCA treated pine.

Paint whacker from masters or paint masher from bunnings are much better than the metal ones. They're designed to mix with the up and down movement rather than the rotating movement of the metal spiral like ones

earle said:
Paint whacker from masters or paint masher from bunnings are much better than the metal ones. They're designed to mix with the up and down movement rather than the rotating movement of the metal spiral like ones
and a mash paddle is designed for side to side movement? Not sure how either is "better" at disrupting or splitting dough balls, particularly in the high water to grain mash of a BIAB?

earle said:
Steel masher/whacker types can be found as well, I got mine from Crockers Paints but a quick glance at their website doesn't show it anymore.

Something like this:

-304-stainless-steel-font-b-paint-b-font-font-b-mixer-b-font-font-b.jpg

crowmanz said:
and a mash paddle is designed for side to side movement? Not sure how either is "better" at disrupting or splitting dough balls, particularly in the high water to grain mash of a BIAB?
The paint mashers are not better for splitting dough balls when mashing in but they are really good at lifting the grain bed during mashout in biab.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Steel masher/whacker types can be found as well, I got mine from Crockers Paints but a quick glance at their website doesn't show it anymore.

Something like this:

-304-stainless-steel-font-b-paint-b-font-font-b-mixer-b-font-font-b.jpg
That looks good. I was meaning masher style compared to the spiral type.

earle said:
The paint mashers are not better for splitting dough balls when mashing in but they are really good at lifting the grain bed during mashout in biab.
Fair enough, I see the benefit in that

seamad said:
Used the yellow bunnies one for years, the plastic bit does fall off sometimes but easy ti fish out with the handle
Take the plastic bit off and the handle is good for fishing out the cake rack after mash out and before the boil

earle said:
Take the plastic bit off and the handle is good for fishing out the cake rack after mash out and before the boil
yep, used to do that when I biabed in the crown urn, no need now as use 3V

Is there some magical benefit of violently lifting and stirring the mash?

I find the up and down motion simulates wanking into the mash, making the beer that bit more satisfying when drinking alone

Wow, I didn't realise this thread would attract so much interest. I guess the key takeaway is that my $2.60 plastic wacker is no better or worse than an $11 plastic masher. Will try it out for this brew and see how I go.

I also am now wishing that mine was red. I did buy a red car because they go faster.

Back