Biab Mash Tools

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McFeast

Reaction score
Guys,

Just looking for some advice re tools of the trade with BIAB.

The local bunnings does not seem to have the larger mash (paint mixer) tool that looks like a potato masher.
I will check another hardware store in town, but was also interested in other tools you use to help you on the day (pics are appreciated and make for an interesting thread!)

Cheers!

I just use a big arse ladel that came as a complimentary gift when I bought with my 50L ali pot.
Cheers
BBB

ok tools I would say is a good accurate thermometer. some rope and a few buckets so you can string the bag up. If using just a sheet of voile some clothes pegs so when hanging you can peg the loose bits of voile to the rope. dont need a paint mixer. I got a SS spoon from LHBS in a 25lt container it can reach the bottom and just poke out the top think it was $20 but will last a lifetime its a mash paddle, stirrer, mixer everything. in the mash just do small circular motions like beating it but try not to splash it to much seems to work for me. One tool 5 jobs is good!

if your pot has a heap of head space you can cut bit of styrofoam to fit snuggly in the pot but not to tight enough to get it out so you put mash in stir it up and push the foam onto the mash bed. I put a little hole in mine to poke the thermometer threw. try to get think stuff if you can. I used a 32lt esky so with 15lts of mash and 6kg of grain I had a big head space lol

As Nick says "A big ol' spoon"

IMAG0040-1.jpg

I have no doubt that this picture will make the thread more interesting.

I use a small auger and an electric drill because I like cleaning walls.

I use the one from Bunnings.. yellow plastic end with holes in it... Cant find pic and I'm at work... :(

pretty awesome -but did you really pay 50 bucks for that!?

No

They used to be cheaper and you get 15% discount if you're a Hospitality Depot member. You can find them at some kitchenware type stores cheaper sometimes

When I researched them I found that you could get a box of 12 from the distributor relatively cheaply... bulk buy ;)

edit: might be only a 10% discount. I forget

Other tools

Stainless Steel Jiggler Siphon Hose Tip for siphoning boiling hot wort if you No Chill. Use with 1/2" Heavy Duty Silicon Tubing. I don't have a tap in my pot, and don't plan to either
siphon%20tip.jpg

http://www.gryphonbrewing.com.au/store/pro...products_id=348

Cake Rack, keep your BIAB bag off the bottom of you pot, which means you don't have to lift it to apply heat... just be sure to use your masher vigourously while heating
round-cake-cooler-with-legs1.jpg

Italian Spiral Burner. Nice way to heat a lot of wort :)
ITAI.gif

Digital Thermometer, less of a PITA than a glass one! And quicker too.
360x360-1_1511010.jpg

Stainless Steel Pulleys from a Boating shop so you can get some mechanical advantage when lifting big loads (i do 10-12KG grain bills)
116244.jpg

Other tools
Cake Rack, keep your BIAB bag off the bottom of you pot, which means you don't have to lift it to apply heat... just be sure to use your masher vigourously while heating
round-cake-cooler-with-legs1.jpg

Genius, I should have thought of that earlier...although I have now found that once I add my grain (BIAB), I can fit the 19L stockpot in the oven, which I preheat to ~mash temp, that way it basically removes the need add heat during the mash anyway.

Genius, I should have thought of that earlier...although I have now found that once I add my grain (BIAB), I can fit the 19L stockpot in the oven, which I preheat to ~mash temp, that way it basically removes the need add heat during the mash anyway.

Doesn't quite work with a 50L pot tho :)

Doesn't quite work with a 50L pot tho :)

Hahaha, you could always dig a hole in the backyard and bury the pot during the mash, along with some hot coals...kind of like an 'Earth Oven' or 'Hangi' if you're a Kiwi. You could use that pulley to assist with the lift if you don't feel like breaking your back on brew-day.

Putting a pot in the oven to maintain its temperature is a bit overkill IMO.

Mine loses about 2C over 90 minutes with a towel and a thinsulate sleeping bag over it.

I think an oven is a poorer insulator than some old towels, mainly because you'll loose a lot of heat heating the oven walls up. If your oven can be set to 67.5C, then it's not like mne.

Hahaha, you could always dig a hole in the backyard and bury the pot during the mash, along with some hot coals...kind of like an 'Earth Oven' or 'Hangi' if you're a Kiwi. You could use that pulley to assist with the lift if you don't feel like breaking your back on brew-day.

Don't, cos then it will come out tasting like stewed cabbage :lol:

A word of warning... if you get a big 'ol PLASTIC spoon..

Dont leave delicious sticky wort and grain all over it, then leave it outside over night after brewday with your big boofhead dog!!!!!

IMG_20110624_00053.jpg

rsz_img_20110624_00054.jpg

Mate just check out Bribie G's Tutorial in Beginner Partials/ AG ,titled "Using an Urn for Brew in a Bag". Even if you aren't going electric it's got all the fruits you need for a good BIAB. And take this man's word as gospel because he's taking out 3v brewers in the comps.

Latest posts

Back