Mashout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalpets

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What should be the duration of an AG mashout using a Hermes rig?
Presumably there are different mash constituents that take different time to denature, if that's the right word.
Thank You.

Hi everyone,

What should be the duration of an AG mashout using a Hermes rig?
Presumably there are different mash constituents that take different time to denature, if that's the right word.
Thank You.

Recirculate whilst ramping to temp.
Full 10 mins once mashout temp achieved.

Doesn't matter if it's herms or biab. It's about temperature. 10 minutes at the right temp (~75+ degrees) should be enough to denature enymes and fix the fermentability of the wort.

Possibly a stupid question but is there a benefit to a decoction mashout instead of getting the 1st runnings into the kettle & then sparging at 77? I've toyed with the idea of getting a 19L big w pot for decoction mashouts but I'm not convinced yet that the effort is worth it.

Edit:

hit seventy seven
then do what we all do runoff
bye

Is anyone else concerned that someone has hacked speedie's account & posted in normal person font instead of speedie font?

Is anyone else concerned that someone has hacked speedie's account & posted in normal person font instead of speedie font?
He's still using the keyboard that replaces all the punctuation marks with the enter key, so it must be him.

Possibly a stupid question but is there a benefit to a decoction mashout instead of getting the 1st runnings into the kettle & then sparging at 77? I've toyed with the idea of getting a 19L big w pot for decoction mashouts but I'm not convinced yet that the effort is worth it.

I only ever decoction mashout. Saves time and effort as i only need to fill the HLT twice. Once with mash in water, once with sparge water (I batch sparge).

Decoction mashouts are thin, not a 'proper' decoction. I simply run off most of the first runnings without recirculating so there is a little bit of grain present and bring that to the boil. Dump it straight back into the mash tun and voila. 78C mashout.

Dalpets - 10 mins at 76-78C is enough time to 'fix' the fermentation profile and decrease the viscosity of the liquor making sparging easier.

hit seventy seven
then do what we all do runoff
bye

Hi speedie,

Hey, mate I'm 72 now!. Do you mean I have to wait for another 5 years before I can run off. I don't think my Mrs would appreciate that. There again she might not miss me given the time I absent myself brewing. I couldn't resist it mate.
Thanks for your contribution.
Cheers
dalpets

Back