Mashmaster Vs Fridgemate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amiddler

Reaction score
Ok so I am about to buy a Mashmaster Cooling controller or a Fridgemate but have a question on them for people who have maybe owned both of them.

The Fridgemate comes with a smaller probe as standard and I will be immersing it in my wort so after buying the upgraded probe the cost is $79.40 for a unit that controls both heating and cooling. The Mashmaster comes with the better probe as standard and costs $88.00 for cooling only. Is the Mashmaster a more robust unit and therefor worth spending extra money on or is the Fridgemate the best controller for my fermenting fridge? In the specs for both units I see the Fridgemate also controls over a wider temperature range. Would have thought with the extra features of the Fridgemate it would cost the same on more than the Mashmaster.

Ross, you guys must turn over some gear in the shop. I swear every time I log on to place an order the last thing I want to add to my order, will be sold out :( At least I know my equipment is new.

Drew

The Fridgemate comes with a smaller probe as standard and I will be immersing it in my wort so after buying the upgraded probe the cost is $79.40 for a unit that controls both heating and cooling. The Mashmaster comes with the better probe as standard and costs $88.00 for cooling only.
Drew
Well I think you answered your question right there and it's the same reason that I bought the fridgemate, although I would have bought the new heating and cooling in one controller if it was available when I bought my fridgemate's.

The old FM (heating OR cooling, not both) was ~$50 and the upgraded probe was another ~$30. Isn't the new FM (that can to heating AND cooling) about $75 with just the standard probe? Just checking to clarify that the old FM does heating OR cooling, as opposed to heating AND cooling (like the new one).
I'm frequently wrong and haven't paid too much attention to the new version but that was my understanding.

If the new fridgemate is $79 with the upgraded probe thats a bargain. Even with the standard probe $75 is a good deal IMO.

Right then. So there is nothing brilliant about the Mashmaster and the Fridgemate is a bargain!!

KGB the Fridgemate does control heating and cooling but from what I have read you need to change the fridge (cooling) and heater pad (heating) manually, not like the new temp mate, which can be plugged into both and change from one to the other by itself. Still I have the answer because in Gero the summers are warm and winters cool so I shouldn't need to change from one to the other on a daily basis. Fridgemate it is, once Craftbrewer have the upgraded probe in stock. (Soon I hope!!)

Drew

Yeah, thats what I was trying to convey, I knew I didn't put it right! Just making sure you were aware. I have regular FM's on my fermenting bar fridge as well as my chesty for serving. I have never had it too cold to brew so haven't needed to heat anyway, I just brew lager's in winter and set the fridge to 12 degrees. Even if its cold enough that the fridge doesn't turn on, the heat generated by the brew keeps it cosy.
Others on here have a lightbulb in their fermenting fridge in case it gets too cold - which would require two FM's or the new Tempmate. (or additional fancy wiring which is beyond most of us)

do you guys think its important to get the better stainless probe?

I am using a FM on my fermentation fridge at the moment, and am using the stock probe. Doesnt seem to be any problems.

I keep the probe in a small container of water, so it measures that temperature instead of the air temp.

With the 'better' probe, is it more accurate? or is the main advantage that it is longer, so it could be submersed in wort?

do you guys think its important to get the better stainless probe?

I am using a FM on my fermentation fridge at the moment, and am using the stock probe. Doesnt seem to be any problems.

I keep the probe in a small container of water, so it measures that temperature instead of the air temp.

With the 'better' probe, is it more accurate? or is the main advantage that it is longer, so it could be submersed in wort?

I do not understand how putting the probe in a small container of water is going to help measure the temperature of the ferment or is better than just having the probbe measure the air temperature in the fridge.

I tape my probe to the fermentor with a piece of camping mat to provide some insulation so the probe is measuring the temp of the fermentor rather than the surrounding air. The fermentor has a thermal mass far larger than a small glass of water.

Regards

Graeme

I do not understand how putting the probe in a small container of water is going to help measure the temperature of the ferment or is better than just having the probbe measure the air temperature in the fridge.

because having it in a container of liquid measures the temp of LIQUID inside the fridge, as apposed to the air temp, which changes dramatically when you open and close the fridge door.

Back