Mashmaster Temperature Controllers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deja_vu

Reaction score
Have acquired a 440 litre fridge and I'm thinking of buying a temperature controller. I'm tossing up between the fridgemate and the optional stainless steel probe or the DEI-105 which comes with the stainless steel probe.

I'm sure this is not the first post about this but I really had troubles searching DEI-105!

Also how much better is a beer brewed with temperature control, ie is forking out on a temperature controller worth it?

Cheers guys

To answer your first question, I don't know anything about DEI-105. I use the fridgemate with stainless steel probe. The probe isn't exactly necessary, but it means that I'm taking the temperature of the wort

To answer your second question, yes. Especially for lagers. It makes it easier to keep a constant temperature for the yeast to work in.

My Fridgemate controler & S.S. probe should be arriving in the next 1-2 days, can't wait for the results. Lager yeast (Saflager S 23), plus cheapest Lager kit shite with addition of Saaz. (using 1.0 micron filter after ferment) and kegging the *******!

Look foward to results... without spending money, brainpower or time!

P.S. Fridgemate looks easy to get running too.

Marcus if you're using kit, buy reasonable yeast and ferment it at real Lager ferment temps, fine and taste the difference compared to what you where doing before.

I wrote an article for the latest Melbourne Brewers newsletter that described the different Mashmaster units. It's posted in one of the melbourne brewer threads here.

The things to look for are the range of temperatures over which the unit has control, and the compressor differential (some are configurable, some are fixed).

Linky

Andy

I haven't looked recently, but when I was buying mine, I went with the fridgemate because it has both heating and cooling modes, whereas the others are both cooling only (from memory).

thanks guys just ordered the fridgemate and probe. Can't wait to try a lager! AndyD nice article mate, answered my questions.

Lager yeast (Saflager S 23), plus cheapest Lager kit shite with addition of Saaz. (using 1.0 micron filter after ferment) and kegging the *******!

Skippy I reckon I'll do the same, i bought a can of coopers draught, lager and bavarian lager cheap at kmart, got a pile of dex, and dry malt and will try the kits with some good yeast.

Marcus if you're using kit, buy reasonable yeast and ferment it at real Lager ferment temps, fine and taste the difference compared to what you where doing before.

You recommend using finings???

Thanks Marcus,

Hopefully the first of many...

Andy

Latest posts

Back