Mashing Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWB

Reaction score
:(
Hey Guys: ;) N Gals

I did a partial mash yesterday for a simple lager but after mashing 300g of amber malt for 60minutes at 65C I did an Iodine test and still got blueish black so I left it another 30 minutes and did another test.
:huh: Yep still blueish black.

I thought bugger it and proceeded to sparge anyway and boil the the collections with some malt extract and POR hops.

I realise the I hadnt had a full starch conversion but will it still be ok?

I tasted a sample after doing a gravity and it tasted great.

Any advice as to why it didnt fully convert?

Any comments appreciated

Cheers :chug:

JWB

Not enough enzymes to convert by itself, you really needed an equal amount of Pale Malt. However the small amount you used should be fine. :super:

Warren -

Yup, no enzymes in Amber malt. Next time chuck in at least 25% of its weight in pale malt to add the enzymes you need. But your beer will still be fine, will just have a high FG

Yup, no enzymes in Amber malt. Next time chuck in at least 25% of its weight in pale malt to add the enzymes you need. But your beer will still be fine, will just have a high FG
I can subscribe that.

Very often I got a blue iodine test when I created my Corona clone using 30% Mais (corn) and 20% rice.
Despite of the iodine test, the beer turned out very delicious, one of my very best.

Cheers :beer:

:beer: Thanks Fellers

Looks like Pale Malt is on the shopping list.

:super:

JWB

I can subscribe that.

Very often I got a blue iodine test when I created my Corona clone using 30% Mais (corn) and 20% rice.
Despite of the iodine test, the beer turned out very delicious, one of my very best.

Cheers :beer:

I oftem wondered about something!

We in Australia tend to strive to make the perfect German Pilsner, English Bitter, Czech Pilsner etc, etc.

I often wondered if home brewers in these countries (which have an abundance of these styles we make) try to emulate beers they dont have available.

Like VB :p

or Corona ;)

Sorry for the hijac, it just brought a smile to my face thinking about it and thought i would share :)

cheers

excuse me for hijacking too, but I have to response that theme.

You may be married with the most beautyful woman in the world and if you stroll trough the town and see so many wonderful young ladies what are ya doing? looking another way?

:rolleyes: :p

You may be married with the most beautyful woman in the world and if you stroll trough the town and see so many wonderful young ladies what are ya doing? looking another way?

In this case, if you're looking our way Zwickel, just DON'T DO IT!

maybe you can make a West End Draught Zwickel, very "fancy" beer here in Adelaide. Almost as good as Corona!

maybe you can make a West End Draught Zwickel, very "fancy" beer here in Adelaide. Almost as good as Corona!
yeah, why not?
even if Im gonna lose my reputation completely, I confess that I love Australian beers like XXXX Gold or Hahn light, not mentioned so many Brewhouses like Grumpys or the Brewhouse in Townsville, very much.
You Aussies have a lot of good beers in your country.

I n such cases we would say "the prophet counts nothing in hes own country"

:p ;)

Adds Zwickel to ignore list.
:lol:

oh Zwickel, almost all of us try to make a Corona clone at some stage, but not all of us own up to it ;)

Corona?
give us a lime!
I never checked for starch conversion.
Arrogance or lazy....
The lager ales or bitter etc etc still drinkable bar last one..
Coopers draught
had to dry hop it with tetts lol

Just a quick question on the iodine test...

Just have been playing around with a mash I'm doing now and after just 20 minutes had a brown iodine result.

However, I'm continuing to do Brix readings and notice they are still rising...

20 mins = 6.4
26 mins = 8.0 (Raised mash by 3 degrees in these 6 minutes)
36 mins = 8.5
46 mins = 8.8
56 mins = 9.2
106 mins = 9.2

This is doing full-volume mashing i.e. 5.5kgs of grain mashing in 37 litres of water. Prior to each reading the mash has been agitated.

Would anyone know if this is normal or if it's a full-volume mashing peculiarity where it is taking time for the sugars to leach from the grain?

I have done this test a few times previously with exactly the same results. In other words, an iodine test doesn't seem to be any use for full-volume mashing.

I'm also noticing a further rise if I do a mash out.

Would appreciate any insights and hope this was the right thread to ask.

Cheers,
Pat

Would anyone know if this is normal or if it's a full-volume mashing peculiarity where it is taking time for the sugars to leach from the grain?

I may not be the right person to answer this but it seems as a logical progress.

The ph ought to have reached below 5.5 in the mash.

As the ph is lowered the starch conversion improves and sugar leach out.

Let us know your progress.

Happy brewing
iam stuck at work

yeah, why not?
even if Im gonna lose my reputation completely, I confess that I love Australian beers like XXXX Gold or Hahn light, not mentioned so many Brewhouses like Grumpys or the Brewhouse in Townsville, very much.
You Aussies have a lot of good beers in your country.

I n such cases we would say "the prophet counts nothing in hes own country"

:p ;)

Zwickle you are a bloody legend !!!!

Pumpy :)

I confess that I love Australian beers like XXXX Gold or Hahn light, not mentioned so many Brewhouses like Grumpys or the Brewhouse in Townsville, very much.

No problemo Zwickel;
I'll swap you ten slabs of Hahn light for any pils or amber lager from your local area whenever you're ready! :D

Prost!,
TL who still misses Koblenz.... :rolleyes:

:(
Hey Guys: ;) N Gals

I did a partial mash yesterday for a simple lager but after mashing 300g of amber malt for 60minutes at 65C I did an Iodine test and still got blueish black so I left it another 30 minutes and did another test.
:huh: Yep still blueish black.

I thought bugger it and proceeded to sparge anyway and boil the the collections with some malt extract and POR hops.

I realise the I hadnt had a full starch conversion but will it still be ok?

I tasted a sample after doing a gravity and it tasted great.

Any advice as to why it didnt fully convert?

Any comments appreciated

Cheers :chug:

JWB

JWB - Apologies if you already know this but make sure you do the iodine test without any grain or husks in the sample - regardless of conversion they will give a false negative (black) result on their own. Always use a few drops of wort that have no grain matter to give you a more reliable reading...

And yup, the amber malt is light on for amylase enzymes to convert the starches, as the chorus has already stated. Mind you, when I did partials, I used to add some amber malt (Bairds) to give colour, malt aroma and body to the brew and I was happy with the results. Bairds amber is pretty strong stuff IMHO...

Cheers,
TL

Just a quick question on the iodine test...
Just have been playing around with a mash I'm doing now and after just 20 minutes had a brown iodine result.
However, I'm continuing to do Brix readings and notice they are still rising...
20 mins = 6.4
26 mins = 8.0 (Raised mash by 3 degrees in these 6 minutes)
36 mins = 8.5
46 mins = 8.8
56 mins = 9.2
106 mins = 9.2
This is doing full-volume mashing i.e. 5.5kgs of grain mashing in 37 litres of water. Prior to each reading the mash has been agitated. Would anyone know if this is normal or if it's a full-volume mashing peculiarity where it is taking time for the sugars to leach from the grain? I have done this test a few times previously with exactly the same results. In other words, an iodine test doesn't seem to be any use for full-volume mashing. I'm also noticing a further rise if I do a mash out.
Would appreciate any insights and hope this was the right thread to ask.
Cheers,
Pat

PP,
I'm not sure if this is a quick question, but I'm on my 3rd pils so what the heck! :p
Your results are perfectly normal mate. You are simply measuring the steady increase in % sugars in solution as the alpha and beta amylase enzymes do their job on the unconverted starches in the mash. Most of our well modified malts will give conversion within minutes of the mash in - the stirrer is sweet to taste (use a cleanish finger please!) when you pull it out of the mashtun after dough-in!
Most brewing references suggest a full 60 or 90 minute mash to minimise the chances of unconverted starches remaining in the mashtun, leading to starch haze in the final product. Your results reflect a substantial Brix increase during the first 20 minutes and a tapering off as you moved beyond an hour. If plotted out on a graph, you'd find a similar curve to the bittering contributions of typical hops - it flattens out as you go beyond an hour. And that's another non technical reason why most references suggest a 1 hour mash and 1 hour boil...Sure you can boil for more than an hour but the marginal increase in bittering is very small and declining. I only boil for more than 90 mins when I want to darken the wort and increase the melanoidins present in the wort.
Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back