Mashing Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And who better to answer my question than Trough Lolly*!

Many thanks to you as always. I've been wondering where you have been as we haven't had the pleasure of your posts for a while or maybe I've missed them :unsure:

As usual, you've answered my question perfectly.

I think myself and several others have been lead to believe that when you get the iodine test reading no starch, then your mash is as good as finished and you might as well stop it there. I've always wondered about that because I have done the above Brix tests several times.

For those of you like matti, (donya matti and thanks for the pH info!) who like figures and so often contribute figures, here's the remainder of my readings...

The last reading was 9.2 Brix after a 70 minute mash.

It took 10 minutes to reach the mash out temperature of 77 (agitating all the way because I don't have poppajoe's cake stand and I BIAB) and then...

Beginning of Mash Out = 9.7
End of 20 Minute Mash Out = 9.9
Beginning of Boil = 10.0

Many thanks matti and TL!

Cheers,
Pat

* I see that one of AHB's favourite and most informative posters is around the 1500 post mark. I better send him a PM and see what he has to say for us, especially now he has had 3 pils! ;)

Back