Mashing In A Keg Filler To Use Older Hops, Ideas Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
I am just mashing in a keg filler and using up some older hops in the freezer. Going to ferment while away on Holidays.

i have
90g Sazz Czech pellets 2.5%
150g Hallertau Mittlefrueh hop plugs 2.5%

grain bill was 3.5kg ale BB
400 G Carapils
300g Crystal Malt Pale
300g unlabeled ...

how should i use the hops above in it ? thinking 10min addtion with the sazz and Hallertau

also have fresh so was going to bitter with summit at 50min ?
summit
bravo
cascade

opinions ?

I am just mashing in a keg filler and using up some older hops in the freezer. Going to ferment while away on Holidays.

i have
90g Sazz Czech pellets 2.5%
150g Hallertau Mittlefrueh hop plugs 2.5%

grain bill was 3.5kg ale BB
400 G Carapils
300g Crystal Malt Pale
300g unlabeled ...

how should i use the hops above in it ? thinking 10min addtion with the sazz and Hallertau

also have fresh so was going to bitter with summit at 50min ?
summit
bravo
cascade

opinions ?

Older hops are a bit of a waste late in the boil. They dont bring what they should to the party. Smell them first! Chuck the cheesy smelling ones. Will depend on how they were stored.
If it was me, [and I REALLY wanted to use them rather than throw out] I would just toss them in to make up part of my bittering addition - with Bravo.
Then use Cascade late.
Bravo / Cacade is one of my favourite American combos.
The 300g of unlabelled - is it dark?

My other plan of attack would be to hold the nobles until you get back - make a hop tea, and if its good, 'dry' hop with it. Might get some aroma from them if they were stored well.

can you lager, if so i would do something simple like
30 ibu of saaz for bittering and 20g of hallertau at 15 mins

To late in they went... it's cubed and ready

I named it HallerSazzzzz ale the hops smelt ok, so will see how it tastes in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back