Mashed At 57 Deg.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rough60

Reaction score
As I drained the tun this morning I noticed I mashed at 57deg.
Sparged at normal temps.
Will this just produce a more fermentable wort/much drier beer?
Cheers.

never done a starch test, I'll give it a go, just have to remember what to do. lol

Drop of Iodophor or Betadine in a sample. Stays red, conversion complete. Turns blue-black, starch present.

You can expect a FG below 1.000 with a viscocity that is thinner than water. If the B-amalayse enzymes did their job at that temperature (and they should have), you'll also have plenty of alcohol.

I've mashed a brown ale at 63C before and it was the thinnest, most non-descript beer I have ever made. Let us know what your's tastes like in a month!

I think it will be fine. As maximum activity of B-Amylase occurs at 60 deg C, even at much lower temps, given enough time you will still get full conversion. You will just get a more fermentable wort.

Steve

Unless you increased you temperature at mashout I suspect your efficiencies will be really low as you wont have reached gelatinisation temp (about 65c). This is the temp that the starch granules of malted barley burst, exposing the starch to the enzymes.

Hope I am wrong!

I agree that you will probably have a portion of unmodified starch in the wort, since B-A only nibbles small bits off the starches. Probably not much you can do now, if you have drained it. :mellow:

Thanks for the replies, just checked OG, spot on 1.048, efficiency 78%.
Cheers.

Good news Rough.

Jsut for my own info, did you raise the temp at mash out? If not then it seems to indicate that the gelatinisation temp of your grain is lower than the text books say (mainly European ones that I have read).

What was your grain bill as a matter of interest?

Cheers and hope the beer turns out fine - you may want to use a low-attenuating yeast or perhaps kill fermentation a little early by dropping temp when it gets to say 1008-9 if you dont want a Pure Blonde :icon_chickcheers:

Given there was enough time for full conversion there is no reason why this wont be a great beer.

Quote taken from Brewing Science, 4.3.4 It is not true that starch can be converted only at or above its gelatinization temp, although this occurs most rapidly after the granules have been disruted. It has been know for many years that in mashes made at 55 deg C over 90% of the potential extract can be recovered in two hours,

Steve

Yeah I did the 1st sparge at 68deg for 20mins and the 2nd sparge at 79deg.
The og and effic. is after boil.
Here's the grain bill, the pils malt is in there just to use it up.
Cheers.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt (JW) (5.0 EBC) Grain 85.7 %
0.65 kg Pilsner (JW) (3.5 EBC) Grain 13.9 %
0.02 kg Home Roasted Chocolate Malt (800.0 EBC) Grain 0.4 %

Whens its done send me a bottle or 3 for comments ;) It will probably be the best beer u ever make!

Steve

lol, best beer ever, I very much doubt it.
I used up left over hops as well.
POR 60mins, Amarillo 30mins, Tetts 10mins, bittered to 40IBU.
PM me your address SJW and I'll post a bottle up to Newy for ya in a few weeks.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back