"Mash" Your Potatoes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've wondered about this. And carrots. Caramelised mashed carrots in the mash.

Great, now I want a roast.

Combine with the cock ale and you have a Sunday dinner...as well as all the grainy goodness of a hearty breakfast muesli haha.

If you wanted to go dairy free, take good mashing potatoes like nicola, cook with skins on (I like oven baked but boiling is fine) remove skins and pass once through a mouli, season and use olive oil as you liquid, whisked through.

manticle said:
If you wanted to go dairy free, take good mashing potatoes like nicola, cook with skins on (I like oven baked but boiling is fine) remove skins and pass once through a mouli, season and use olive oil as you liquid, whisked through.
Cheers, but I was actually just browsing the recipes on that site rather seeking dairy-free mash. I cram shitloads of butter and salt into mine until it tastes like heaven.

Sorry was a general tip not aimed at you. Anyone who freaks out about butter should just eat boiled potatoes, no salt ( unless lactose intolerant or vegan).

That said, cream, butter AND olive oil makes super mash..

Sooo.... what do you get if you ferment it?

manticle said:
Sorry was a general tip not aimed at you. Anyone who freaks out about butter should just eat boiled potatoes, no salt ( unless lactose intolerant or vegan).

That said, cream, butter AND olive oil makes super mash..
I crack an egg in my mash spuds

Guy at BABBS made a Belgian with potatoes in the mash. Tasted pretty bad.
Having said that, I used to live next to an 80 year old Polish guy who said that when he was young in the 1930s his village grew potatoes from horizon to horizon and in the middle of it all was the mother of all vodka distilleries.

I got a kilo of Kipfler seed potato's today.

Mmmmm fresh garden potato's (in some months time).........

Hmm.. I like my mash potatoes to be a bit lumpy.. a bit potatoey. Not into that super creamy mash. I want to know I'm eating potatoes! Butter and olive oil sounds tasty though.

Mr B said:

Hmmm potatoes are weeds in the garden. The tiniest little left over tuber during harvest will pop up over and over again.

Mr B said:

I planted a kilo of Pontiac seeds 3 months ago and am now reaping the benefits. Should get about 30kg yield I reckon, and they taste awesome. I've never heard a potato crunch like an apple before, but these do straight out of the soil.

Might have to try putting them with some malt next time I brew.

Cheers,
RB

Latest posts

Back