Mash Tuns - Esky Vs (insulated) Converted Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markws

Reaction score
Dear All,

I am in the final steps of preparing to build a brew stand, similar in design to the Brutus ten, it will be a single level system with dual march pumps and plate chiller.

The current system I brew on uses a 44L converted esky and I find it relatively easy to work with and excellent and maintaining the mash temperature for single mash infusions

I am considering migrating to a converted SS 50L keg for the mash tun instead, and would be greatful to hear any experiences at using a converted keg for single mash infusions.

Two main Q's.

What is the temperature drop usually between the strike water temp and the mash temp?

Is there an significant temp loss during a 60 or 90 min mash either with or without insulation?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

MWS

just a point of reference, ive been doing some research myself. Ive been thinking of making up a stubby holder like wrap for a keggle mash tun made from neoprene with velcro on it so it can be removed for cleaning. same thing goes for a lid and base, same concept with a circle of neoprene cut out and velcroed onto the base of the keggle or metal lid that can also be removed if need be. Probabaly overkill but i'd be trialling my batches first without and check temp losses, then with a wrap of towels etc. If the towels work, i'll simply makeup the 'stubby holder' and use that as a permanent solution

Another idea i had to to make it like a wetsuit with a zipper and invest in a big block of styrofoam to shove into the base of the keggle for insulation and zip it all up in a neoprene 'wetsuit'. Question is, how expensive will this exercise be?!

just a point of reference, ive been doing some research myself. Ive been thinking of making up a stubby holder like wrap for a keggle mash tun made from neoprene with velcro on it so it can be removed for cleaning. same thing goes for a lid and base, same concept with a circle of neoprene cut out and velcroed onto the base of the keggle or metal lid that can also be removed if need be. Probabaly overkill but i'd be trialling my batches first without and check temp losses, then with a wrap of towels etc. If the towels work, i'll simply makeup the 'stubby holder' and use that as a permanent solution

Another idea i had to to make it like a wetsuit with a zipper and invest in a big block of styrofoam to shove into the base of the keggle for insulation and zip it all up in a neoprene 'wetsuit'. Question is, how expensive will this exercise be?!

Had a similar idea myself about making up a jacket for my 50L SS mash tun. I reckon you'd be able to come across some pretty cheap foil insulation these days!! It's actually really good stuff when used correctly (ie not on a ceiling rather on the underside of the roof sheeting) and is reasonably water resistant too. Seeing that it is specifically designed as insulation should be up to the job of maintaining temps over 60 - 90 mins

lots of variables, lots of differant answers.

eg my system. if i just pump water form HLT into tun with grain on a cool autumn morning. i will loose about 10C. if i pre-rinsh the tun to get it a bit warmer then i loose less.

I loose at max 5C over 60min. generally this is only when its a low tmep mash and its cold outside. during summer i was lucky to loose 2C.

it will also depend on if you have a lid for your tun, its a long skinny tun or a short wide tun. its all about the surface area.

if your current tun works for you and you dont want to upgrade due to size I wouldnt bother.

I recently upgrade my mashtun from the 55lt willow easky to a 45lt Stockpot with the old cheap yoga matting upgrade wrapped around it :)
My first brew didn't loose any temp at all, I did have 4cm of foam wrapped with foil sitting on top of the grain and the lid on.

I also found cleaning the stockpot a LOT easier than the square esky.

Latest posts

Back