Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2much2spend

Reaction score
hi fellows brewers,
im moving in to all grain brew but i cant get my head around setting up my
mash tun. i got my old techni ice esky witch has a 1inch bsb thread, i have adapted
it to 1/2inch to fit a ball valve but im wanting to fit this in stainless steel, the only fitting
i can get are swagelok and they are mighty pricey about $50au for a 90o elbow. apart
from tig welding is there any other options that any of you guy have set up?

just to clear up my mumbling im wanting to fit ss tube to a valve or threaded fitting
without welding.
need help im getting very thirsty for this to start. :(

Hello!

I managed well with a 47 litre cooler from Bunnings, only $80 from memory. This doubles as a portable beer cooler, it has wheels and a handle! Get some tubing to fit your taps and make sure your cooler / esky has a drainage plug or tap. I didn't bother with plumbing, just use the existing tap or plug. Get a big grain bag, mashmaster have sturdy ones among others.

Your biggest expense will be your kettle to do the full boil, I settled with a 30 litre wort boiler for around $250. See the other posts on urns etc, electric is a simple way to go.

put your grain in the bag, inside the esky (after a good clean of course). Heat 30 litres of water to around 72 degrees, stir it up and then run it in through the tubing into the esky. Give it a good stir and seal it up for 90 minutes.

Drain it off then do your boil and ferment as normal. Use a table and chair to get good gravity flow.

have fun!!
Yandy

Latest posts

Back