Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi jayandcath, welcome.

I picked up from Rays outdoors a 38L round cooler for $40.00 on sale, although i did look at the link you supplied and that tun looks nice. :D

lachlan

If you ever find a good deal, let me know. I'm looking into AG but this is holding me back. I was going to buy a cheap rectangular one from ebay, but the drain plug is 25mm, so pretty hard to seal up with a tap.
If I'm going to spend more than $100 for an esky, it may as well be a round one so I can use a simple false bottom strainer.
The only 37L ones I can find locally in perth is a $190 igloo brand at ranger camping.

The hole usually required is about 20 - 22 mm, so 25mm shouldn't be too difficult to deal with, you may just need to use flared nuts and some larger rubber or silicone washers.

Are the ones you saw on eBay the rectangular Techni Ice coolers?

http://stores.ebay.com.au/UNBELIEVABLYCOOL-COOLERS

They are very well insulated and I've seen 60L models go for about $65. They've got much larger capacities too, good if you want to do double batches some time.

Fit it with one of Beer Belly's stainless 'Falsie' screens and you've got a real winner.

http://beerbelly.com.au/beerequip.html

FWIW I have a 38L cheapy round cooler mash tun (using braid) but now wish I'd gone with the way I just mentioned instead!

+1 for the beerbelly falsie

I picked up a 55L Willow esky (rectangular, well, technically its a rectangular prism.....) on ebay for $20. I think brand new they are less than $100 and you get a drink bottle and a 6 pack esky as well.

I too was holding back on going AG as i couldnt source the parts cheap. Am a retarded handyman so i get beerbelly to build stuff for me. Means more time for me to brew (and drink).

Cheers
DrSmurto

$78 shipping? Good value?

You can get cheap coolers suitable for mashing in from outdoor/camping stores, plumb in your own valve and fit a stainless braid for much less than that.

That mash tun does look good though.

Latest posts

Back