Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rude

Reaction score
Gday just after youre advice on type of esky as I am getting some gear ready to start AG.

Can get a 10 gall round gatorade or a rubbermaid. The rubbermaid is larger dia less hieght.

Probably makes no difference but thought I,de get youre advice.

Hi Rude,

Get the round one :D

I have a 10 gallon Rubbermaid, and from a quick search on the net the gatorade one looks exactly the same.

I'd compare thicknesses of the walls for one. Thicker means more insulation, assuming similar materials.

Also consider that a larger diameter esky will have a shallower grain bed for the same amount of grain. May want to ask around for what the minimum grainbed thickness should be. Mine is typically 6-8 inches from memory for a 5 gallon batch. It's a simple calc...

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Rob

Lets get technical.

Look around on the interweb for Darcy's Law.

Basically, this is a way of working out the depth of the grain bed you need. The general formula calls for a deeper grain bed in your circumstance, therefore, go to the smaller diameter.

WJ

Only matters if you proper sparge. if faux-sparging (Aka batch sparging ;)) the shape wont make a difference

Rude,

I use a 38 litre (10 gallon) "Gatorade" mash tun. I pre heat the mash tun before use and have negligible heat loss over an hour.

Incidentally the "Gatorades" are made by "Rubbermaid".

Only problem is that you can't mash a double batch of a "big beer" in 38 litres IMO.

Wally

Cheers I'll go for the gatorade 10 gall

Cheers I'll go for the gatorade 10 gall

G'day Rude

Where are you getting the mash tun from? I can't seem to find any of these up around here (northern NSW). What price, if you don't mind me asking? (If you do mind, disregard last question and tell me to MMOB :D ).

Cheers

ToG

ToG,

Check out E-bay. Gatorade coolers are listed quite often.

I picked up two a couple of years ago.

They usually go for around $60 - $70. Try to get one local or the postage will be a killer. (I just noticed your location - that might make it a bit more costly)

Wally

Ta Wally. I had a look at ebay over the last week or so and only came across US listings (look great though!). I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Cheers

ToG

Found this Linky on the interweb. Pretty sure you could get it cheaper off eBay though.

what do you recommend for straining using the cylinderical type of mash tun? Stainless steel braid seems pretty easy - is it effective?

Looked up gatorade & found coolers 10gall for $48 US from a company called sharpe safety.

Just emailed them for shipping cost so will let you know if they are reasonable say $30.

Cheapest I could find

Looked up gatorade & found coolers 10gall for $48 US from a company called sharpe safety.

Just emailed them for shipping cost so will let you know if they are reasonable say $30.

Cheapest I could find

Cheers, rude. Look forward to hearing the news...

ToG

I have heard crew talk about looping their braid. You could loop it & attach it back on itself. Would this work.

Try to keep tha braid from the edges as it may help reduce channeling.
try to get a cooler with a round bottom.
I got a keepcool circular but with an indent with the tap.
i had to get a special job done for false bottom.
Check this link out for ideas
matti

bottoms

Hey TOG they dont do international shiping mate but if I come across a cheap one I will let you know

Cheers Matti

Hey TOG they dont do international shiping mate but if I come across a cheap one I will let you know

Cheers Matti
If you ever find a good deal, let me know. I'm looking into AG but this is holding me back. I was going to buy a cheap rectangular one from ebay, but the drain plug is 25mm, so pretty hard to seal up with a tap.
If I'm going to spend more than $100 for an esky, it may as well be a round one so I can use a simple false bottom strainer.
The only 37L ones I can find locally in perth is a $190 igloo brand at ranger camping.

If you ever find a good deal, let me know. I'm looking into AG but this is holding me back. I was going to buy a cheap rectangular one from ebay, but the drain plug is 25mm, so pretty hard to seal up with a tap.
If I'm going to spend more than $100 for an esky, it may as well be a round one so I can use a simple false bottom strainer.
The only 37L ones I can find locally in perth is a $190 igloo brand at ranger camping.

The hole usually required is about 20 - 22 mm, so 25mm shouldn't be too difficult to deal with, you may just need to use flared nuts and some larger rubber or silicone washers.

Are the ones you saw on eBay the rectangular Techni Ice coolers?

http://stores.ebay.com.au/UNBELIEVABLYCOOL-COOLERS

They are very well insulated and I've seen 60L models go for about $65. They've got much larger capacities too, good if you want to do double batches some time.

Fit it with one of Beer Belly's stainless 'Falsie' screens and you've got a real winner.

http://beerbelly.com.au/beerequip.html

FWIW I have a 38L cheapy round cooler mash tun (using braid) but now wish I'd gone with the way I just mentioned instead!

hey pablo contacting a couple more US shops waiting on reply, will let you know.

With the 25mm hole just use a reducer brass plastic whatever. You can get them from any eletrical wholesaler eg Lawrance & Hansen

G'day Rude

Where are you getting the mash tun from? I can't seem to find any of these up around here (northern NSW). What price, if you don't mind me asking? (If you do mind, disregard last question and tell me to MMOB :D ).

Cheers

ToG

Hi TuhnofGrunt

I got my mash tun off the BCF web site. I do not know if they still do mail order, but there may be a store near you. If not pm me we may be able to work something out.

thanks

Hi All,
I am only new to the group and also new to going to AG.
I have been searching the web for Mash tuns and the best valve that I have found (If anybody can confirm/deny, I would appreciate some feed back) is at www.brewd00d.com
I made an enquiry for a 48Q unit, $60 for the mash tun and $78 shipping to Brisbane. I'm pretty happy considering the best shipping price for a Rubbermaid 10Gal was $145, and they seem OK. Has anybody heard of or seen these?????

Back