Mash Thermometer Calibration - How Often Do You Do It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozpowell

Reaction score
Have been noticing an increase in my FG by a few points of late and got around to checking the accuracy of my mash thermometer. It was out by almost 3 degrees. I'm interested in learning how often other AG'ers calibrate their thermometer. It's been 3 years since I checked mine - obviously too long...

Have been noticing an increase in my FG by a few points of late and got around to checking the accuracy of my mash thermometer. It was out by almost 3 degrees. I'm interested in learning how often other AG'ers calibrate their thermometer. It's been 3 years since I checked mine - obviously too long...

Ive got into the habit of checking mine every time as im setting up to brew. The first time I checked after using it for months it was also out by a few degrees.
Cheers
Steve

Edit: I figure if im being so anal about every other process of the brew I may as well start at the beginning.

I did a brew this week and noticed the same thing.It was around 3c as well,looks like they need checking regularly.

Batz

How do you guys calibrate your thermometers, exactly?

Julez

How do you guys calibrate your thermometers, exactly?

Julez

Place it in a pot of boiling water and adjust the screw on the back to 100 degrees. I actually hold it off the bottom of the pot so its not touching the bottom and its just in the water.
Cheers
Steve

You are probably best off calibrating at mash temps - bi-metal thermometers are known to be out at the extremities of their ranges

Cheers

Bugger! How would you calibrate at mash temps?

If i had one of these thermometers i would be calibrating it against a mercury thermometer and at mash temps as Cortez mentioned.

2 parts boiling water + 1 part cold tap water gives ~65C water

I use an electronic digital 'probe' thermometer - not a bimetal one - I bought from Ross and in the blurb on the box it said 'never needs calibrating'.( I notice that he's now got a cheaper model on his page)... However I wonder if freezing the probe into an ice block and checking it as the ice block melts might be a way of verifying the temperature, then do the boiling water thing? It's supposed to be good to about 200 degrees. My old glass thermometer seems to read a degree higher than the electronic one.

Same as BribieG - I use a digital stick thermometer from Craftbrewer (which they don't seem to stock any more), and compare with the mashmaster at mash temps. It helps to have an accurate digital reference which can be used across the brewery with confidence.
Good digital therms don't drift with time, and maintain a reasonable degree of accuracy over the 20-70 degree range).

Bugger! How would you calibrate at mash temps?

Well............. I put some water in the MLT at around the mid 60s then dip in my mercury lab thermometer and adjust the dialface Mashmaster to the same temp. Mash temps are what I use it to indicate so mash temp is what I adjust it for.

Screwy

I do it as per the instructions on the Mashmaster site: link.

Does indicate that the "Boiling Method" is appropriate for measuring starch conversion temperatures using these bimetal thermometers...

I do it as per the instructions on the Mashmaster site: link.

Does indicate that the "Boiling Method" is appropriate for measuring starch conversion temperatures using these bimetal thermometers...

Would be interesting to see how accurate it is at mash temps following setting at boiling. Might try it sometime.

Screwy

Same as BribieG - I use a digital stick thermometer from Craftbrewer (which they don't seem to stock any more), and compare with the mashmaster at mash temps. It helps to have an accurate digital reference which can be used across the brewery with confidence.
Good digital therms don't drift with time, and maintain a reasonable degree of accuracy over the 20-70 degree range).

For me, calibrating is "just another job" I dont want to do, as above I also use the digital stick which is permanantly fixed in my hlt, I know from using my gear from hlt to mashtun i drop about 8 degrees, if a little a high (1deg +) a good stir fixes that, a little low (i lick my lips mmmm dry beer). Maybe a bit more than 18 months and never calibrated, I will add mine had never seen temps over 70.

Back