Mash Paddle 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just flicking through the Wyeast offerings for this style and particularly considering they no longer have the "Leuven" available the only one it specifically lists for a BPA is the
3522 Ardennes.

How does it bstack up against the Leuven?

Cheers,
BB

Noice one!!

BPA has been a contender for the paddle a few times, good to see it get the guernsey at last.

It seems a relatively simple style, but is hard to nail and still allows for a rich seam of creativity.

It shouldn't be to hard to find a judging panel ;)

If you are short of a steward nearer the time Russ, you know where to find me :beer:

Awrabest,

stu

Just flicking through the Wyeast offerings for this style and particularly considering they no longer have the "Leuven" available the only one it specifically lists for a BPA is the
3522 Ardennes.

Cheers,
BB

Missed this BoilerBoy. I have not tried the Ardennes yeast but do have a smackpack in the fridge. It has been there for 14 months now :p !
I have some Leuven via Warren via TidalPete if you want to do a comparison.

C&B
TDA

3522 Ardennes.

Cheers,
BB

BB

Rook made a recipe quite similar to my previous BPA. Mine had Leuven. Rook's had Ardennes. Off the top of my head (though not a great guide lately) they were quite similar but with Rook's (Ardennes model) being a little more pleasantly fruity, whilst mine (Leuven) was malty and a little neutral to the point of being a bit boring.

To be honest my hunch is with this style the yeast character is probably the hardest part to eek from the beer. Probably due to the fact it's a lower gravity brew... Is there a daring soul willing to try a Saison strain just for grins? :D

Warren -

Missed this BoilerBoy. I have not tried the Ardennes yeast but do have a smackpack in the fridge. It has been there for 14 months now :p !
I have some Leuven via Warren via TidalPete if you want to do a comparison.

C&B
TDA

14 months, only just coming into its prime now :lol:

Cheers,
BB

Has anyone even thought of T-58?

Oh..... a dry yeast couldnt possibly win a mash paddle right?

:icon_cheers:

Actually.. yep, I did. But I think I'm going to blend it with something else. On it's own the spicy characters can dominate and take a while to balance out..... or so I'm tole ;)

Noice one!!

BPA has been a contender for the paddle a few times, good to see it get the guernsey at last.

It seems a relatively simple style, but is hard to nail and still allows for a rich seam of creativity.

It shouldn't be to hard to find a judging panel ;)

If you are short of a steward nearer the time Russ, you know where to find me :beer:

Awrabest,

stu

Time to fire up the old brury, stu!

Time to fire up the old brury, stu!

Can't say I'm not tempted Kai.

I just can't sem to remember where I misplaced the damn tin opener :p

Latest posts

Back