Mash Paddle 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For maturation and timing purposes, is this normally at the end of November?

I doubt you'll find anything relevant to this style there.

Your best bet would be to get someone in Adelaide to ship you some Palm Speciale, or order some De Koninck from overseas.

Rudy - do you have the name of that shop?

Shop 59b, Burnside Village
Portrush Road
Glenside SA 5065
Ph: 8338 6333
[email protected]

Next to Lindsay Allan Chemist.

On the top deck of the new car park, facing Portrush Road .

http://www.burnsidevillagecellars.com.au/contact.html

Give them a call.

For maturation and timing purposes, is this normally at the end of November?

Kirem, I was a little slow getting the notification out this year. The show is normally around the first or second week of October. Yet to be confirmed.

will people be adding brett and other beasties to there beer not sure how reliable this is but i heard palm speciale had a little bit of brett and obviously orval does... but is this more of a belgian specialty catorgy or is it welcome in this style???

As far as the brett goes... If the style is a carbon copy of the BJCP guidelines it probably wouldn't be appropriate as there's no mention of it, and the brett will have to be managed well to keep it from going too dry and to maintain some maltiness.

will people be adding brett and other beasties to there beer not sure how reliable this is but i heard palm speciale had a little bit of brett and obviously orval does... but is this more of a belgian specialty catorgy or is it welcome in this style???

Palm Speciale should not have any brett or other wild yeast characteristics. If this has happened - it's an infected bottle.

That said - historically some of the beers (Op Ale comes to mind) were actually sour beers. If you're trying to replicate these historic flavours though - you'd be better off entering in the Belgian Specialty category.

Orval does not fit this style in any way whatsoever. Often people confuse this style with Leffe Blonde other Blonde / Pale Belgian beers. That is incorrect.

This style is quite specific, only limited to a small set of commercial examples. I would presume any Brett related flavours would be scored as a flaw.

When will most of you guys start brewing this beer??

Last yeasr closing date for entries was 19th September.
Assuming it's around the same time this year, and assuming (based on style guide) it's a close to that of an English Pale Ale suggests it would be at it's peak about 3 - 4 weeks after bottling. (young drinker)

Into the fermentor in mid to last August should just about do it.

Question: What do you guys pack your bottles in for shipment? I've done drop off entries only in the past.

BOG

bubble wrap and news paper.

Aussie post has a "must withstand a drop from shoulder height to concrete" policy. Im not joking........ thats their policy!!!

wrap bottles seperatly in bubble wrap, place on box and fill spaces with scrunched up news paper.

I recomend using a courier service. better than Aussie post any day and they will usually have a fragile service.

Now back to the paddle. I will be starting to brew ASAP to make a trial batch or 2.

may no chill a cube and split it between 2 yeasts to maxamise the experiments

The best thing about the paddle is you get to focus on a style you may not usually brew and along the way you learn a bit!

cheers

The best thing about the paddle is you get to focus on a style you may not usually brew and along the way you learn a bit!

cheers

I chose not to enter the paddle last year as it was outside my comfort zone.

This year the style is again, not something i have ever made but am taking on that exact philosophy. It will force me to learn about a style that i would have otherwise continued to ignore... :eek:

I chose not to enter the paddle last year as it was outside my comfort zone.

This year the style is again, not something i have ever made but am taking on that exact philosophy. It will force me to learn about a style that i would have otherwise continued to ignore... :eek:

:D I'm tempted by this one Dr. Smurts and I haven't even entered a single comp for 6 years

Not that difficult a style in theory. Just think English Bitter at the lower end of the hopping schedule with maybe some continental hops in the fold. A Belgian yeast strain to add a differing character (hard to get through at that gravity though) and Bob's your uncle unless he had tits then that would make him your aunty. :lol:

Warren -

:D I'm tempted by this one Dr. Smurts and I haven't even entered a single comp for 6 years

Not that difficult a style in theory. Just think English Bitter at the lower end of the hopping schedule with maybe some continental hops in the fold. A Belgian yeast strain to add a differing character (hard to get through at that gravity though) and Bob's your uncle unless he had tits then that would make him your aunty. :lol:

Warren -

If my beer addled memory serves me correctly there was talk a year or 2 back about how Coopers Pale Ale fits into the Belgian Pale Ale class (loosely) and that the yeast Coopers uses has similarities with belgian yeasts. More so than the english heritage we all assume of Thomas Cooper.......

From BJCP:

Flavor: Fruity and lightly to moderately spicy with a soft, smooth malt and relatively light hop character and low to very low phenols. May have an orange- or pear-like fruitiness, though not as fruity/citrusy as many other Belgian ales.

Tick in that box at least... I'm not sure about getting the right spicy character with it though. Maybe a blend with a Belgian yeast? I might try that actually. It's my idea, no copying!

If you hopped with Saaz to get the spiciness and used that yeast to get the pear/apple..... :D

Just noted this from the BJCP website

Nothing should be too pronounced or dominant; balance is the key

Yikes!

The most difficult thing to achieve in brewing IMO - balance.

I've not done one of these before but am willing to have a crack at it.
Like Pumpy I reckon I could get 2 or 3 trial (training) batches in before close off date.

Seems the style guides talk about English hops but the reciepies (Google) seem to have Saaz in them.

Also Pilsener Malt as a base rather than the usual Ale malt.

Interesting...

BOG

The guidelines make mention of styrian goldings

Must have been the reason i bought a kilo of plugs late last year..... :D

My bestest ever BPA had 75g of Styrian plugs added to the hopback. :wub:

Previous efforts minus the Styrian plugs have fallen short of the mark.

Warren -

mmm bugger it's not the stronger variety. I've been spending a considerable amount of time trying perfect my candi sugars which this style doesn't require! :(

Back