Mash Paddle 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussTaylor

Reaction score
It's a beer that almost made it last year, this year the ANAWBS committee present to you the mash paddle style for 2009 - Belgian Pale Ale

A Belgian Ale of comparatively low alcohol and considered an everyday session beer.

Check out the BJCP guidelines for Belgian Pale Ale here

Here are some AHB references:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10127
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=13506
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=23070

We invite you all to add to these discussions further on this Mash Paddle Belgian Pale Ale thread.

Complete ANAWBS show information and style guidelines will be posted on the website in the next couple of months. This is an all grain competition only, part of ANAWBS (the Australian National Amateur Wine and Beer Show).

May the all grain battle for the 2009 Belgian Pale Ale mash paddle begin!

Top choice! Was on a shortlist of beers to brew this year, it's now a certainty.

Yeah, an excellent choice. Glad it won out this time. :super:

There's also info in the SOTW thread here.

It's a beer that almost made it last year, this year the ANAWBS committee present to you the mash paddle style for 2009 - Belgian Pale Ale

A Belgian Ale of comparatively low alcohol and considered an everyday session beer.

Check out the BJCP guidelines for Belgian Pale Ale here

That leaves me out. :p

Rats........... was hoping it would be lambic so i could brew for it.

Nice choice Russ!

All who are interested, it's a great style of beer and almost anything goes so I encourage you all to have a go.

Now it's time to send an email to Wyeast and get them to bring back the Leuven :D !

C&B
TDA

Nice choice Russ!

All who are interested, it's a great style of beer and almost anything goes so I encourage you all to have a go.

Now it's time to send an email to Wyeast and get them to bring back the Leuven :D !

C&B
TDA

I ordered the canadian belgium yeast and some 'speciality' malts today For a decent crack at this one.

Anyone suggest a good commercial example?

Does the TDA fly blown fit the style? That was one of the best beers I have had.

Anyone know a store that currently stocks the Wyeast 3655 Schelde strain or WLP 515 antwerp?

I have made a couple and its a great style. Will be having a crack at it myself and id say it will be feircly cometed for trophy........ the belgian catoagories always are arnt they?

have a new trick to try for this one. Will have to brew a trial batch first.......... damn!

I ordered the canadian belgium yeast and some 'speciality' malts today For a decent crack at this one.

Does the TDA fly blown fit the style? That was one of the best beers I have had.

Anyone know a store that currently stocks the Wyeast 3655 Schelde strain or WLP 515 antwerp?

kirem, dekoninck is a good example of the style but it is as rare as rocking horse poo!
Not too much else available although maybe IBS or Cloudwine may have alternatives.

The Fly Blown will not suit this style :( Thanks for the compliments!

I may have some Schelde in my yeast bank, I will get back to you.

C&B
TDA

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of BJCP commercial examples (if any) available in AU.

This a very misunderstood style (even to me in the past). Most of the examples are very clean in flavour, a lot of people expect big estery Belgian flavours when if anything you should be thinking more along the lines of English bitter!

ahhh crap - I can't make belgian to save my life.

Although kook's last post gives me hope................. any other commercial examples that anyone can think of? or am I going ot have ot fly to Belgium to have a shot at the MP??

Hmmmmmm, made my first one of these last year and was really pleased with the result out of the keg but six months later the bottled version that I had, I reckon have gone downhill with regard to flavour profile.

I'm probably wrong of course but I feel that in complete comparison to last year this might be one where fresh is best.

I think kook is spot on. I've also previously thought of it as a beer with fully-fledged 'Belgian' characteristics, strong yeast flavours especially, but just lower gravity. But De Koninck on tap is relatively clean, few esters or phenols and definitely no spices. It's a very approachable beer for those who are intimidated by saisons or sour beers and quite a good session beer. I think kook's description of it as being along the lines of a bitter as accurate, though without as much caramel flavour as bitters often have.

TB, no choice but to fly to Belgian and taste if for yourself. :D

For those in Adelaide, the bottle shop at Burnside Village has Palm Speciale. At least they did a few months ago. It's the 2nd reccomended example on the BJCP commercial list. Jackson says "The beer has aromatically toasted maltiness, balanced by a Goldings hop character, and a rounded, orangey finish from the house yeast"

Oh yes.. The Belgian Beer Cafe is Cammeray is only 10 minutes way.

Some serious research is required.......

I like your thinking, mine is about 15 mins away. Can't remember their bottled beer line-up, only one way to find out though.

I doubt you'll find anything relevant to this style there.

Your best bet would be to get someone in Adelaide to ship you some Palm Speciale, or order some De Koninck from overseas.

Rudy - do you have the name of that shop?

The brisso one had De Koninck bottles last time I was there, served in a bolleke (even had Antoon). Mind you the bollekes will have probably all been pinched (ouch) by now.

Latest posts

Back