Mash Out? what does this mean?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My original comment was probably vague, I meant to say that you'll only keep converting til end of sparge, but I don't believe it would be a massive amount, which is why I never do a mash out.

Hope to be brewing a mild tomorrow so I'll try one and see if it's different from the other countless milds I've made without a mash out.

what's that old saying?
Ask 10 home brewers the same question and you'll get 11 different answers.

:p
12 more likely

In my case I do full volume BIAB in an urn. I'm going to be running the urn up to boiling anyway, so I may as well get a mashout "for free" by doing the first part of the "ramp up" with the grain still in the bag and stirring well with a paint stirrer. Depending on what the final main mash temperature was (say 65 degrees) it only takes me about ten minutes, if that, to get to 78 degrees. Then leave for 10 mins, switch urn back on and raise bag.

I'm trying one today, though I'm using Munich as my base instead of Maris, so it will be different anyway. Trying 2 short rests at low and high 60's, to get Fermentable but nice and malty. See what happens.

What I meant was why rest it at mashout temp when doing BIAB? Surely all the good work was done in the ramp.

Bribie G said:
:p
12 more likely

In my case I do full volume BIAB in an urn. I'm going to be running the urn up to boiling anyway, so I may as well get a mashout "for free" by doing the first part of the "ramp up" with the grain still in the bag and stirring well with a paint stirrer. Depending on what the final main mash temperature was (say 65 degrees) it only takes me about ten minutes, if that, to get to 78 degrees. Then leave for 10 mins, switch urn back on and raise bag.
I perform a mashout in the Urn as well. Colander over the sealed element in my crown for extra safety. All good.

Bribie G said:
Just getting a bit of a "grain bed" happening for 10 mins.
What purpose does a "grain bed" serve if you are going to hoist the bag out anyway and disturb it. Understand why ramping up to mash out is important but just curious about the grain bed.

And I also squeeze.

My block and tackle setup lets me raise the bag very slowly, and I seem to get less chicken soup in the urn than my old "hoist as quickly as I can and pray my muscles don't give out" method when I just had a single pulley system.

So I'm convinced there is a grain bed of sorts forming, as the wort runs clear very quickly, and even when gently squeezing by "massaging" the bag downwards so the wort gets squeezed through this "grain bed" I don't seem to squeeze out much soup at all.

Might give that a go, see if it yields a bit less trub than usual. Also allows time to knock back a beer between pumping the mash & squeezing. Win win.

Cheers Bribie. I still use good old fashioned muscle to lift the bag but I do have a hook to hang it off. I find the wort is pretty clear until I start squeezing but I do get better efficiency when I do. I might give the 10 mins a go too and see what I notice.

mje1980 said:
My original comment was probably vague, I meant to say that you'll only keep converting til end of sparge, but I don't believe it would be a massive amount, which is why I never do a mash out.
ceasing conversion is not a reason for me to mashout because I usually target maximum conversion. I do it though because

1) to improve the sparging process
2) I have to heat the wort to 100 deg C anyway, so I see no harm in helping it along the way in a mashout step...

There is one further thought, I recall listening to a podcast a few years back where John Palmer was suggesting that enzymes that had not been denatured could be the cause of off flavours caused by hot side aeration / oxidation. Food for thought.

Goose said:
ceasing conversion is not a reason for me to mashout because I usually target maximum conversion. I do it though because

1) to improve the sparging process
2) I have to heat the wort to 100 deg C anyway, so I see no harm in helping it along the way in a mashout step...

There is one further thought, I recall listening to a podcast a few years back where John Palmer was suggesting that enzymes that had not been denatured could be the cause of off flavours caused by hot side aeration / oxidation. Food for thought.
Goose what kind of mash efficiency are you getting with the brew magic?

Latest posts

Back