Mash / Lauter Tun Set Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roscoe

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm in the throws of building my first all grain set up.
My dilemma is should I use a combined mash/lauter tun and sparge in the same pot when the mash is finished, or transfer the mash into its own lauter tun?
What are your thoughts?
What system works best?

Roscoe :icon_chickcheers:

My mash tun is an insulated hot water urn. It is also my lauter tun. I have a coil of tubing under the lid with holes in it that sparges my grain. The hot sparge water is gravity fed from a modified plastic fermenter barrel with an installed kettle heating element that heats up the water.
This simple setup works a treat with consistent efficiencies of around the 75-80% mark. I always use the KISS principle with everything I do. Try not to get caught up with all the BS.

I dont know of any homebrewers (though I am sure there are..hello..) who use a seperate lautertun (which is the german method) unless they are still using a PapZap!! Most small breweries use a single mash/lauter tun (British Method). Some older style small breweies may use mash/boiler, the mash is transferred to a lauter tun , the mash tun cleaned and the sweet wort returned to the boiler.
Just use an "Esky" and a false bottom or some form of manifold.

K

You will find most folk around here combine it into the one vessel. Having 2 is a bit of an extravagance if you ask me.

Thanks for your advice. It sounds like a combined mash / lauter tun is the go.
I've been reading that much about different systems you have to filter out the good from the BS. My main concern was that the false bottom could become blocked after the grain had been sitting on it for an hour or so and create problems during sparging.

Cheers Roscoe
:icon_chickcheers:

I use an esky with a copper manifold and no problems as long as your reasonably sensible when transfering your wort to your kettle. Just a tip if you go that route, starsan cleans up the copper beutifully. :icon_cheers:

I use an esky with false bottom also.

+4 for keeping them together as one unit.

Look forward to some photos!

I use an esky with a copper manifold and no problems as long as your reasonably sensible when transfering your wort to your kettle.

What do you mean by reasonable sensible? Me no understand :)

Cheers,
Jake

Esky is the cheapest and easiest mash / lauter tun.

If you can't bothered building a manifold or false bottom, just get a swiss voile bag and do BIAB in the esky, and drain the wort through the existing plug.

Too easy!

Thanks for all your comments.
I should explain that I will be mashing in a 117 ltr stainless pot so I assume fitting a false bottom to this will be the best option instead of using a separate lauter tun.
I got hold of a couple of 3mm stainless sheets at the right price, so I have had this cut and rolled and are about to tig them up for my pots.

Cheers Roscoe
:icon_chickcheers:

Latest posts

Back