Mash And Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a bit of info to pass on - you MUST maintain a good level of calcium in your English style brews to ensure good flocculation in the kettle and also good attenuation in your ferment. All English brewers practice this in accordance with their water profiles. And for the record, I have never had a problem with wort clarity OR final beer clarity with floor malted MO. Look up the water profiles for the UK regions and think about adding in some CaCl2 in the kettle - say 4g/100ltrs

Wes

Would be interested to hear how this one compares with others you have done once it has had 4 - 6 weeks to condition.

Cheers

Brad

Brewed an Amber Ale today. 92% TF Maris Otter, 7% mixed Crystal, 1% Chocolate. Mashed 2 hours at 66C, and did a 120 minute boil.
Never ever, in 4 years of brewing, have I had such clear wort into the fermenter. It looked really clear, almost bright, no haze whatsoever. The wort pre-boil tasted absolutely gorgeous, and clean as a whistle. I have good hopes for this brew.

I know it's only a single batch, but it definitely tends to support the information from MHB. I'll be following this regime for future brews made with the balance of this sack of TFMO.

:icon_offtopic: harsh and astringent with FWH or with cube hopping?

I recently did a version of Manticle's Youngs Special London Ale and cube hopped with 45g of Progress. It's not a pleasant beer, something really out of balance, a sort of ISO twang, almost like a kit twang - the malt is fine. I tipped the last third of the keg. Got a couple of bottles in the archive, I'd welcome your opinion at BABBs if you are going to the March meeting. I don't cube hop any more, I use the argon method. ;)

Manticle is not happy to have his name associated with this particular beer that Bribie tipped out. Manticle thinks BribieG should try the recipe exactly as written (no cube hopping, no progress).

Manticle is also very interested in the idea of longer boils for MO as MO is one of my favourite malts. Just bought some TF for a landlord homage attempt so I'll extend my usual 75 minute boil to 100+ minutes.

Wes
So another 40 ppm CaCl2 into the kettle on top of what would be considered reasonable for the mash? Im generally looking for ~150 ppm of Calcium at the start for UK ales.

Oh fork it the spammers are back
See ya
Mark

Just bought some TF for a landlord homage attempt so I'll extend my usual 75 minute boil to 100+ minutes.

Made a landlord clone today using abovementioned TF golden promise. Mashed for about 100 minutes (intended 90 but got caught at the shops) then boiled for about the same (100-105).

Wort from the tun was the cloudiest I've seen and despite more vorlaufing than usual, I couldn't seem to clear it. Loads of proteinaceous material in the tun that took longer than usual to settle.

Post boil wort was similar - loads of fluffy break material at the bottom with the hop debris but the wort still seemed hazy.

Next time I'll try boiling for 120-150 minutes and see if that makes any difference.

It will be interesting to see how the no-chilled wort clears up when cooler.

Latest posts

Back