March Pump Substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clean brewer

Obsessed Home Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all,

Couldnt find anything on searching but is there a pump that can be used other than a March Pump? Or is the March Pump just what has been used all the time??? :unsure:

If the March is all that can be used, why is that??

:icon_cheers: CB

Jody,

Many have searched, none have found an equivalent pump at a similar price. You certainly can use other pumps, but be aware that many are not rated for food contact. It's most likely the case that the March Pump (809 especially) is the cheapest suitable option in terms of being food grade, can pump a decent head, and is reasonably cheap.

If there were a cheaper option out there, I'm sure the brewers would be onto it. We are all tight-arses anyway, aren't we????

Cheers

Just had a conversation with my F.I.L today and he has used alot of pumps for quite a number of years in the Aquarium and mentioned that he thinks there could be something else suitable????????????? :unsure: Off to the Pump shop tomoz to ask... Thats all I can do I guess, but maybe the chances are slim if no-one else in this entire Brew Universe has come up with something else....

Food Grade and suitable for up to 100C is what you're after.

Good luck! Hope you can find a nice cheap option! :)

Cheers

Food Grade and suitable for up to 100C is what you're after.

Good luck! Hope you can find a nice cheap option! :)

Cheers

Ive got those points noted, not really looking for a cheaper option, just if there was something else that someone was aware of?? Ill ask the big questions tomorrow... :icon_cheers:

Nick, did you get any info on a Camcorder????

CB

:icon_offtopic:

Ahh, the camcorder.

Should be able to get into a good Hard Drive model - either a JVC or Canon, for around the $600 mark. We have a JVC, 80GB HDD, 20x zoom etc for around that mark. Should be easy enough at any retailer to get the price down. Would suggest a HDD model over an SD model as there's no ongoing costs such as buying new cards.

Back on-topic - I think the March models are popular due to their temp tolerance, and especially as they come with standard fittings - ie: just screw on any 1/2 ball valve etc.

Cheers

Ive got those points noted, not really looking for a cheaper option, just if there was something else that someone was aware of?? Ill ask the big questions tomorrow... :icon_cheers:

CB

Just saw one on here the other day...
You must have seen it. It had all the same features of a march pump....abut 100 bucks less I think.

Cheers,
Bud

Hmmm, looks good. Only concerns I have would be temp as you mention, and the fittings. Those look a bit like a washing machine pump, and look like you'd need to attach a hose with a hose clamp or something. Might work, might be a pain in the arse :p

Cheers

yea, you might be right....
just had another look...clicked on "larger image" got about 20% larger :unsure:
hardly worth the effort.

yea, you might be right....
just had another look...clicked on "larger image" got about 20% larger :unsure:
hardly worth the effort.

No point buying something we know nothing about or even really heard of? Parts?

Cheers Guys

CB,
Just thought I had bookmarked the pump I am talking about.
Here is the site
http://www.clicktobuy.com.au/store/md-40-m...head-p-124.html
Have a look, I don't see a temp, but could be looked into.

cheers,
Bud

Hey all, just had a look at the information from the website is as follows and it says used in the food industry. It is made of polypropylene.
"Polypropylene (PP) is an easy to mould material which has moderate impact resistance, high structural strength and is resistant to a huge range of chemicals. Although mainly used in injection moulding, it may be blow or rotationally moulded, vacuum formed or extruded. Working Temperature Range: 0C to +105C." Soure: Stower NZ - http://www.stowers.co.nz/glossaryraw.htm

Now whether or not that is still food grade at 105C I am not sure!

Cheers

I use a standard aquarium pump to recirculate the mash and to pump wort out to the boiler when sparging.
I don't use it to pump boiling wort around.

It sits in a bucket of water, since it is designed to be cooled that way.

It cost me $70, with my main concern that it had the juice to pump up 2m. ie. I would have gone cheaper if I didn't need to pump so high.

Works no problem for me.

Berp.

The other thing about the march is its magnet drive , so there are no seals between the drive and your beer...and can be throtled back and not cause any cavitation...

I read last week that Gryphon Brewing is looking at an alternitave / trying one out .. maybe a call to the west ...

Cheers

Reply from ClickToBuy says it is rated for 45-50 degress.

Not sure why you'd want something "different but not cheaper" - the March type pump is exactly right for the application. Unless you wanted to get into a full Stainless Steel commercial jobby at upwards of $1000 I suppose.

The only workable, build-it-yourself-and-save-a-couple-of-bucks alternative I've seen done is the home-made peristaltic pump. You just need some silicone tubing, a motor & a gearbox, and you build a suitable housing and rollers yourself. You can certainly make a pump that will handle the heat and be food grade that way, whether it is powerful enough and economical enough is down to your own level of engineering handiness.

Cool, cool... March Pump it is then... ;)

As stated, I just wanted to see if there was something else out there...... :icon_cheers:

CB

It certainly sounds like Gryphon Brewing will soon have a March pump alternative. Sounds very promising from what he has told me, but not sure on the ETA etc.

The March is good, but it would be nice to have an alternative available.

Cool, cool... March Pump it is then... ;)

As stated, I just wanted to see if there was something else out there...... :icon_cheers:

CB

Bloke, as Ned stated above, foles and Gryphon Brewing may have found a another option as noted here. perhaps a PM is in order ;-)
Cheers
Doug

Edit : Grammar for clarity....

Latest posts

Back