March Pump Needs A Plug

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyle

Reaction score
So, finally bought a march pump for the brew rig, be it a 957-001-01 off ebay. But was a good price and looks the goods. However it didn't come with a plug as I understand is an optional extra. Fair enough, so I went down to sparkys to get one put on it (didn't want to take the punt at killing myself by doing a home job).

I asked the guy there to put one on it and he asks where I am going to use it. I say outside - as I take my brew rig out of the shed and brew on the concrete. He then says he can't do it as the pump is not weather proof and he doesn't want liability if I kill myself. I then tell him I use it outside but store it inside but he still wont do it as I may leave it outside. What gives. He mumbled something about a self regulating industtry when pressed further on what restricts him from doing it, and says no one will do it unless they can come out and see where it is being used- what the? :blink: Is there and electronics/ electrical shop in Brissy I can take this to, to get it done cheaply or do I need to do it myself?

67cc_1.jpg

So, finally bought a march pump for the brew rig, be it a 957-001-01 off ebay. But was a good price and looks the goods. However it didn't come with a plug as I understand is an optional extra. Fair enough, so I went down to sparkys to get one put on it (didn't want to take the punt at killing myself by doing a home job).

I asked the guy there to put one on it and he asks where I am going to use it. I say outside - as I take my brew rig out of the shed and brew on the concrete. He then says he can't do it as the pump is not weather proof and he doesn't want liability if I kill myself. I then tell him I use it outside but store it inside but he still wont do it as I may leave it outside. What gives. He mumbled something about a self regulating industtry when pressed further on what restricts him from doing it, and says no one will do it unless they can come out and see where it is being used- what the? :blink: Is there and electronics/ electrical shop in Brissy I can take this to, to get it done cheaply or do I need to do it myself?
Hi
I got the same pump of Ebay US, probably same guy. I wanted to test it so I used a plug from an extention cord cut in half,
it was only a matter of connecting/matching the three wires together. This was just a test until a sparky wires it properly. (I am going to tell him its indoor use only.)
cheers
arthr

You can guy the plugs to wire it up from safeway, it is pretty hard to mess it up. That said, if you are not confident enough then perhaps try another sparky or something.... not sure why they wouldnt do it, seems like it is taking things to extremes a little!

You can guy the plugs to wire it up from safeway, it is pretty hard to mess it up. That said, if you are not confident enough then perhaps try another sparky or something.... not sure why they wouldnt do it, seems like it is taking things to extremes a little!
Well, I'm pretty sure I could do it myself, with help from the internet. But having never done it before, I thought it better to go the legal way.

btw when I said I went to sparkys, I meant the store called sparkys, who knows if I actually spoke to an electrician.

Hoyle

You could always say it was going to be inside a waterproof housing.

Kinda OT, but would you mind telling me how much the shipping came to?

You could always say it was going to be inside a waterproof housing.

Kinda OT, but would you mind telling me how much the shipping came to?

It was about $A37 so $A110 all up.

Yeah, I think I'll have to find someone else and tell them it is for indoors.

If your feeling confident, I know clipsal plugs come with pretty clear instructions on the inside of the packet on how to fit the plugs, I know the plugs themselves are pretty well labelled, pretty hard to stuff up the wiring!!

John

MAKE SURE IT IS A 240VAC MODEL BEFORE YOU CONNECT IT UP

If it is from the USA it could be a 110V unit. There for connecting 240V to it will probably kill it

MAKE SURE IT IS A 240VAC MODEL BEFORE YOU CONNECT IT UP

If it is from the USA it could be a 110V unit. There for connecting 240V to it will probably kill it

yeah first thing I checked 230V.

Hi
I got the same pump of Ebay US, probably same guy. I wanted to test it so I used a plug from an extention cord cut in half,
it was only a matter of connecting/matching the three wires together. This was just a test until a sparky wires it properly. (I am going to tell him its indoor use only.)
cheers
arthr

Quick question:
So for the us pump to Aus plug.

Us to Au
Green is Ground.
White is N
Black is A

Cheers,
Hoyle

So for the us pump to Aus plug.

Us to Au
Green is Ground.
White is N
Black is A

Correct!
I work with japanese air condititoners which are wired to US colour codes, explaining this constantly to most electricians / refrigeration guys does my head in.

On that note to those who have purchased these already what are your impressions regarding flow rates and performance?

I feel your pain ausdb, i work on machinary from all over, germany, austria, japan, and u.s. does my head in as well!

I feel your pain ausdb, i work on machinary from all over, germany, austria, japan, and u.s. does my head in as well!
Sorry rant mode on!
For me the real pain comes from dealing with people who have been brainwashed that red=active black=neutral and that is the only way it can be, either that or they are just plain dumb and incapable of reading an electrical diagram which indicates that white=neutral, black=active or distinguishing that the red wire is significantly smaller than the other two wires
Rant mode off :)

Back