March Pump Connections

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Having just got my march pump, its time to work out how to use it. I know a lot of guys permenantly plumb them into the brewery, but I'm not sure I want to do that yet.

Everything I use at the moment has quick disconnects - the standard plastic garden hose variety - does anyone use these on a march pump? The other thought was tri-clover fittings (which would sanitise easily, and there is no chance of a pop off) - but I don't know if these are easy to get with a threaded connector - afterall, having a thread kind of defies the purpose of the tri-clover!

So, the real question - who has a temporary connection to their march pump, only using two hoses (in and out) and then just switch the hoses based on what you are pumping? And how do you connect it? Whats good, and whats bad with your setup?

The part two is the theoretical part - what do people think is the best connector for this type of application?

Part three - can you get threaded tri-clover firrings?

Thanks!

Matt

Hey Matt. I do exactly what you say - I have a hose in and a hose out and I just move the connectors around depending on where I am pumping. It works for me. I like the flexibility of this way over having fixed plumbing. I can grab the outlet hose and recirculate in through the top of the mash tun rather than having a fixed recirc inlet - likewise I can recirculate through my hopsock to remove some break material. I also pull my brewstand down into a few bits for storage - another reason why permanent plumbing isn't for me.

I previously used brass garden tap fittings. They were adequate for the job although they were sometimes painful to swap quickly when hot.

I have since upgraded to SS camlock fittings. They are full bore and a lot easier to work with. It wasn't a necessary upgrade, more of a luxury but I'm pretty happy with the results. They were way cheaper than tri-clover or polysulphone disconnects.

One tip I will give is that I put a permanent ball valve on the end of the march pump outlet hose. This lets me prime the pump by raising and lowering the outlet end while opening and closing the ball valve, if you get what I mean. It also means I can seal the outlet end without having it plugged into one of the brew vessels, reducing spillage.

will take a pic of my March pump set up.

I have the garden hose snaplock fittings on it and also have a permanent SS Ball valve connected on the out let.

To make it easier - i had to get a 1/2"BSP to 3/4" bSP fitting so that the Nylex garden tap male could be screwed in easily.

Too many bits to go wrong, couple of 1/2 stainless hosetails and those hose clamps from bunnings with the plastic thumbscrew arrangement, good quality silicone hose and only ever use your March pump for hot water.
My philosophy anyway. Somewhere in the future there's a peristaltic pump with my name on it.

G'day Matt,

I use the brass garden quick release connectors as you describe above. The only downside is that you have to remember to use a rag when disconnecting or you'll possibly burn your hands. I do lose a little liquid after the ball-valve each time it's disconnected so a rag to mop these (depending on your setup and whether you care about splashes on the floor).

I just use plastic barb fittings from the irrigation section of bunnings.

I dont freak too much about "complete" sanitation in the March pump because the only coldside application it gets is after it has finished circulating my wort through the whirpool chiller setup ... and then its had quite a while of 100C wort circulated through it so not a lot is going to survive that. 100C is 100C even if the bugs are hiding in the thread.

Bottom line is, there are threads on the pump.. you're stuck with them, so the most sanitary you can get is threads, its your weakest link. So for the rest of your fittings you should just go with whatever you find the easiest.

Thirsty

edit:spelling

Excellent info guys - thanks!

Initially I was thinking of brass hose snaplock fittings, but I have recently changed all my garden brass fittings to plastic, as they seem to blow off the tap way too easily. My current setup has plastic garden hose snaplocks, which work OK - I was just testing the water as far as what others use.

As it has been pointed out, 100 deg wort for 15 mins will sanitise most things, so thats not a huge concern. And given I have 1/2" pipe threads on every outlet on my system, I'm not getting away from threads without a complete brewery makeover involving welded fittings...

Still deciding... would love to see photos of the systems mentioned above...

M

her is mine MO

Pumpy :)

UNDERLET.JPG

I dont understand why poeple put their march pumps so low. the further from the vessels, the more heat will be lsoit and more resistance for the pump. Min is directly under the vessels that require it.

As for fittings, I use 1/2" sockets and 1/2" hosetails and then use silicon hose to join lines where required.

I dont understand why poeple put their march pumps so low. the further from the vessels, the more heat will be lsoit and more resistance for the pump. Min is directly under the vessels that require it.

As for fittings, I use 1/2" sockets and 1/2" hosetails and then use silicon hose to join lines where required.

Ash I have Gas burners and the heat reflection is quite substantial to have the motor so close

Pumpy :)

Hi Guys,

I'm bringing this thread back up to raise an issue I've been having with Garden fittings. Having done a few brews since getting the March pump, I'm plagued with a problem of air ingress on the inlet side to the March pump. This is particularly problematic when I'm recirculating through the Herms, with the valve open fully, and therefore creating quite a bit of suction pressure in the hose between the Mash tun outlet and the pump inlet. I'm using the plastic Nylex quick connectors, which although they seem to make a solid connection, are clearly still allowing air to be sucked in as minute bubbles. I tried using lubrifilm on the O-rings, however this did not help either.

A few bubbles soon become a trapped pocket of air, which gets into the pump, and suddenly the pump no-longer pumps efficiently.
...and lets not even mention the word "HSA" :eek:
The only remedy I've found is a little teflon tape on all male connectors, which no-longer makes them "quick" connects.
So, is anyone else in the same boat, or am I doing something wrong?

There's clearly nothing wrong with the hose connectors when PUSHING liquid. Connect them up to the mains and they hold pressure just fine. (Has anyone connected silicon hose up to the mains :p It's very stretchy stuff :lol:

Hutch.

Hi Guys,

I'm bringing this thread back up to raise an issue I've been having with Garden fittings. Having done a few brews since getting the March pump, I'm plagued with a problem of air ingress on the inlet side to the March pump. This is particularly problematic when I'm recirculating through the Herms, with the valve open fully, and therefore creating quite a bit of suction pressure in the hose between the Mash tun outlet and the pump inlet. I'm using the plastic Nylex quick connectors, which although they seem to make a solid connection, are clearly still allowing air to be sucked in as minute bubbles. I tried using lubrifilm on the O-rings, however this did not help either.

A few bubbles soon become a trapped pocket of air, which gets into the pump, and suddenly the pump no-longer pumps efficiently.
...and lets not even mention the word "HSA" :eek:
The only remedy I've found is a little teflon tape on all male connectors, which no-longer makes them "quick" connects.
So, is anyone else in the same boat, or am I doing something wrong?

There's clearly nothing wrong with the hose connectors when PUSHING liquid. Connect them up to the mains and they hold pressure just fine. (Has anyone connected silicon hose up to the mains :p It's very stretchy stuff :lol:

Hutch.

I have only been using mine for around 6 AG's. I overcame the problem of the occasional air lock by installing a bleed valve (see picture) All I use are those plastic snaplock fittings as well.

IMGP1739.JPG

I've had no problems at all with the way mine is set up

plumbing.JPG

cheers

Browndog

I have had an issue, but I believe it is a sealing issue at the mashtun, rather than the quick connects. I use the brass ones. And those hose clamps you see on Browndog's setup are fantastic. I grabbed a couple of these after seeing how quick they are to use on Browndog's rig. They're available at Bunnings in the gardening section.

I am looking at my new March right now and figuring out the best approach, as I feel I would want to disconnect everything at the end of each brew session for cleaning and storage.

Has anybond used the SS quick disconnects http://morebeer.com/view_product/7642/

Alternatively the polysulfide are cheaper and coduct less heat. But I am concerned with gas burners in proximity if I use these throughout by brewery?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back