Quantcast

Manual Poppy Seed Mill Worth $30 ? Worth Buying?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Maheel

Reaction score
i saw one of these type "mills" at the local thrift shop today

the tension or gap is set from the handle end, it's old looking and i would say hardly been used
someone has turned it a bit "dry and tight" so there is a little where on the outer edge of the "burrs"
a little slop in the handle but i would say that is original

it's old school not a new one if that makes it better ?

they want $30 ? i have a mill but would buy it and pass it on at that cost if it's worth buying...

inside it looks like this one, the ouside plate does the turning or milling on the not moving "inside plate"

outside kinf of like this but the drive rod goes right through like the one above

http://www.weivo.com/meat-mincer/walnut_parer.htm

Muggus

Case swap whore
Reaction score
Poppy seed mill!? Why would one need to mill poppy seeds!?

Bought something similiar new for around $100 a few years back. All stainless steel, very solid, but as far as milling grain goes it's adequate, but i'd much prefer rollers so i can retain some husk.
Spose it's good for making flour, and there is potential to modify the crank shaft to fit a drill...if you know what you're doing. So at $30, its seems alright, if not for milling grain, milling other dry ingredients.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
My first mill was a Porkett (spelling?) mill like this one

7146_1grain_mills.jpg

They do a fair job for the price, $30.00 would be great for someone just starting out with AG.

Batz

petesbrew

Lover of Beer
Reaction score
i saw one of these type "mills" at the local thrift shop today

the tension or gap is set from the handle end, it's old looking and i would say hardly been used
someone has turned it a bit "dry and tight" so there is a little where on the outer edge of the "burrs"
a little slop in the handle but i would say that is original

it's old school not a new one if that makes it better ?

they want $30 ? i have a mill but would buy it and pass it on at that cost if it's worth buying...

inside it looks like this one, the ouside plate does the turning or milling on the not moving "inside plate"

outside kinf of like this but the drive rod goes right through like the one above

http://www.weivo.com/meat-mincer/walnut_parer.htm
My Mum used to make the BEST sheperds pie with a mincer like that.
Grinding up the leftover lamb or beef roast was good fun.
Ah the good ol days.

clay

Reaction score
I used one of these when I first started doing kits and bits...so just for specialty grains. takes a long time to get through any amount of grain. You would be there all day if brewing 20 odd liters of all grain beer.

Latest posts