Mangrove Jacks M42 New World Strong Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Technobabble giving the link to this thread. even typing the name of this thread still doesn't come up in the search. :confused:

I'll try and delete my thread its much better keeping to this one.

I'm making an Oatmeal Stout that's heavier than the guidelines and made a 1lt X 1 packet starter with some diluted Stout wort. Boom!
Only on the stirplate for a few hours to get a growing fluffy Krausen. Very quick off the mark. I turned the stir plate off last night and in the morning the Krausen was above the 1500 line. I actually swirled in the krausen to mix and settle it in a bit then took the pic. Should have taken a pic before swirling.
I may have found a new go to yeast we'll see. :cool:
m42-new-world-strong-ale3-jpg.107181

Admin: Can this thread be deleted? Its best to keep it all in the original thread now that its been found etc.
Cheers
Dan.

Mods can merge - manticle beat me to it

New World Strong Ale was originally marketed as Northern English Brown and it's now my go to yeast in stouts, porters, English bitters and pale ales.... just about everything except for lagers, and even there I now tend to use the MJ lager range which is bloody good.
NWSA is fast, neutral and dependable.

Nowadays the only time I hop into liquid yeasts is for special UK brews such as Yorkshire Bitters. And of course historical Aussie ales now that I've got my hands on Melbourne No. 1.

At the risk of thrashing the topic to death, I reckon if the current great range of dried yeasts had been around 10 years ago then liquid yeasts would have been facing strong headwinds.

Why would we delete it? At most we might merge with the other thread.
That would be good. Note I already re-posted my opening post in the other thread. :rolleyes:
Sorry if I made a mess but the search really isn't working for moi....:confused:

So I pitched this activated beast into a pressure ferment.
23lt kegmenter. Its guestimated 21.5lt into the fermenter. **** no!.
My experiment is to tame this wild fucker yeast at low temperature under pressure to avoid mess etc.

23lt kegmenter pitched with high krausen M42. Blow off tube into 2lt mini keg with 800ml of pre heat sanitized water chilled to yeast temp.
Set the mini keg spunding valve to release pressure ~ 5 to 20 psi.
That will be the interesting part. How much will it spew? Into the mini keg. Should I save the yeast captured? :cool:

I'm using this yeast for the first time and it's currently chugging away in a British IPA. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how this strain differs from Nottingham? On paper they look very similar - fairly neutral, high attenuation and good flocculation.

I reckon Notto scrubs hops a little bit more, and M42 has way bigger krausen.

And Notto does the faux-lager thing brilliantly at 14 degrees, not sure M42 works down that low, having never tried it.

On from my last post: its a House Stout.
OG = 1.058
FG ~ 1.012 (By visual variance of the head in the hydrometer)
Done in 5 days In taming conditions! will leave it a few more days then to serving keg.
This sample taken at fermentation temp 16c. Currently at ~13 psi. Aroma is, has, Banana, bubble gum. I pfft at such descriptions but I have experienced them the odd occasions of testing beers of the more craft exotic types. Sometime I have detected in say English style beers too.

Tasting: This is so mild, sweet, absolutely no harsh flavors! It almost has a watery taste that gets well established in the malt and hops in the next swill, taste etc.
I'm only trying to judge the yeast at the moment and I'm sold. Hope to see this as an easy get, go to dry yeast option.
YMMV on temps and conditions etc.
:cool:
M42 New World Strong Ale8.JPG

so i did succeed on taming this wild beast of a yeast at low temps, pressure ferment and it did spew off a lot into my mini keg and I got two 750ml PET bottles of that washed saved yeast. :D

Attachments

• M42 New World Strong Ale8.JPG
    M42 New World Strong Ale8.JPG
    476.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I liked this yeast the first time I tried it, but didn't get the famed crazy krausen. I think it was just trying to lull me into a false sense of security.

I only half filled this fermenter and I don't think I've reached high krausen yet.

Blowoff.JPG

I've been wanting to leave my thoughts on this strain after trying a bunch of mangrove jacks yeast lately.

I brewed a dr smurto golden ale thinking that this yeast might work well as a balancing force between malt and hops. I've made it before many times so it was a good one to test out.

After reading the posts above I wanted to really push this thing and see if it would in fact give good results in shorter timeframe than the other dry yeast alternatives.

1.048 OG at 21 deg and it remained there for over 24 hours - despite the pH dropping to my desired finished beer pH of 4.2. Usually my us05 or bry97 beers would have started chewing through a few grav points by this stage.

It had started getting busy by the 48 hour mark and then was finished 1.010 FG by the 96 hour mark (pretty incredible), fitting with all reports above. I let it sit warm for another 3 days and then a quick 24 hour cold crash before it was rushed into a keg. So around a week from pitching.

Strangely this yeast gave me some sulphur for the first week in the keg which I haven't had with other dry ale yeasts - possibly pushed it a little too much and needed more time conditioning warm. I didn't fine with gelatine as I usually would either, as I wanted to see if it flocs as fast as reported.

It certainly produced a different beer than my us05 versions of this recipe. A pronounced yeast ester and a little lingering yeast bite is still present after 3 weeks. It still isn't as brite as my us05 beers either. Really well rounded malt and hop balance and a bigger mouthfeel for a pretty low FG beer - but it has brought something I'm not too keen of to the table.

All in all (from my one attempt) I think it's not as good as other dried yeast versions in this recipe, I would prefer a cleaner yeast. I definitely prefer M44 west coast from the mangrove jacks range.

I've found this yeast to work quite comfortably at the bottom end of it's stated range. It's just chewed through 60 points worth of a RIS in under 3 days at 15deg (slurry re-pitch). Absolute monster.

I've been wanting to leave my thoughts on this strain after trying a bunch of mangrove jacks yeast lately.

I brewed a dr smurto golden ale thinking that this yeast might work well as a balancing force between malt and hops. I've made it before many times so it was a good one to test out.

After reading the posts above I wanted to really push this thing and see if it would in fact give good results in shorter timeframe than the other dry yeast alternatives.

1.048 OG at 21 deg and it remained there for over 24 hours - despite the pH dropping to my desired finished beer pH of 4.2. Usually my us05 or bry97 beers would have started chewing through a few grav points by this stage.

It had started getting busy by the 48 hour mark and then was finished 1.010 FG by the 96 hour mark (pretty incredible), fitting with all reports above. I let it sit warm for another 3 days and then a quick 24 hour cold crash before it was rushed into a keg. So around a week from pitching.

Strangely this yeast gave me some sulphur for the first week in the keg which I haven't had with other dry ale yeasts - possibly pushed it a little too much and needed more time conditioning warm. I didn't fine with gelatine as I usually would either, as I wanted to see if it flocs as fast as reported.

It certainly produced a different beer than my us05 versions of this recipe. A pronounced yeast ester and a little lingering yeast bite is still present after 3 weeks. It still isn't as brite as my us05 beers either. Really well rounded malt and hop balance and a bigger mouthfeel for a pretty low FG beer - but it has brought something I'm not too keen of to the table.

All in all (from my one attempt) I think it's not as good as other dried yeast versions in this recipe, I would prefer a cleaner yeast. I definitely prefer M44 west coast from the mangrove jacks range.
I did read somewhere may have been Pro Brewer, that the M42 is Fermentis safale so4 and the M44 is so5

That doesn't seem right. my experiences with M44 and US05 differ, with M44 being much more flocculant and less estery. I haven't used S04 much so can't really comment there.

Well I can't compare as I have never used the M42 or M44 just something I read, and doubting that Mangrove Jack would have their own yeast business it seems feasible they would be buying in a ready packaged yeast.

Maybe, but they have a greater number of beer brewing yeasts than either Fermentis or Lallemand.

Back