mandarina-bavaria

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would I use this

• Hell Yeah... gimme

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Pfff, sounds like Cat piss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why dont you get some and tell me what its like

• Tried it already, read my comments

• Total voters
Finally arrived the other day, didnt get mandarine on the nose but smelled good..

Im planning a triple batch,

Pale
Wheat
Vienna
Acidulated (smidge)

1050 with 20IBU from a 40 min Magnum addition

80g in the cube still plenty left over to double dry hop
+
Probably 30g Centennial or Cascade to offset

Be interested to see how it goes Jesse. I saw it used the other day on the brew dogs show. Would like to make an ipa with it.Or throw some in a randall.

BottloBill said:
Mandarina Bavaria was admitted 2012. This new variety from Hüll (Germany) is due to its aroma- and taste characteristics classified as ”Flavor Hops“.
Mandarina Bavaria has a pleasantly fruity aroma revealing a strong tangerine note with slightly sweet aroma impressions.

Mandarina Bavaria is suitable for the use in top- and bottom-fermenting beer.

The unique character can be indidually adjusted to existing beer flavor profile. Mandarina Bavaria – brewed beers demonstrated high quality of bitterness and most notably an upgrade of flavor profile of these brews. The special aroma notes of Mandarina Bavaria can be carried over from hops to finished beer when dry-hopping technique is applied.
.on

Usage: Aroma. A tangerine machine when used for late, whirlpool, and dry hop additions, Mandarina Bavaria is quickly finding support in the brewhouse for American IPA and variants, black ales, saisons, Brett fermentations, and other beers where a definite fruity and strongly hoppy character is beneficial.

Aroma & Flavor Characteristics: Intense pineapple, lemon and citrus flavors with a resinous, herbal followup. Sweet and distinctive.

Hopunion LINKY

Yob said:
Finally arrived the other day, didnt get mandarine on the nose but smelled good..

Im planning a triple batch,

Pale
Wheat
Vienna
Acidulated (smidge)

1050 with 20IBU from a 40 min Magnum addition

80g in the cube still plenty left over to double dry hop
+
Probably 30g Centennial or Cascade to offset
Damn, triple batch from the get go... hope you like this hop!

Brewing tonight, been a while since I've been ad excited to get one down with a new hop... Actually.. I don't think I've ever been this excited.. Cocko.. Where are you when I need you!

One cube mandarina, one cube huell melon, one cube simcoe (just coz)

Booyah

:icon_drool2: total summer quaffer, made a %4.5 Pale with it, 113g in the cube with 50g Centennial, 60g Dry hop and 60g in the cube.. still very young and was force carbed tonight but oh my yes.. I think Im in :wub:

One going into Vic Brew for sure :icon_drunk:

I had some single hopped Mandarina beers in Germany... how do I post pics without posting them online first? I know I have a fair post count for this question but can I copy and paste pics into the text box somehow? My browser doesn't seem to let me!

You need to go to the "more reply options" and upload the photo there mate, can upload any number up to 10mb I think

I should add here, it took a week of keg hopping but I'm stoked with it now.

Ok so pretty retarded attempt at pics, but you get the gist.

In short had a few single hopped Mandarina beers in Germany, a growing craft movement there now, influenced by american styles as ours is. Probably a few years behind us but these 2 were great among others. To my mind Mandarina tasted a bit like a Vic Secret, fruity/citrussy and american influence but also another more restrained dimension to it, not your typical C hop but usable in the same applications and from the extended family line.

Would be interested in brewing with it!

DSC_0333.JPG

Mandarina.JPG

First pic is actually a different German craft beer, this is what it should have been.

Mandarina IPA.JPG

Got me some of that Mandarina Bavaria last week, courtesy of an order speedily filled by Craftbrewer, and used it in a Pale Ale I made on the weekend. BRY-97 West Coast Ale yeast to ferment it. Small batch with a kilo of pale ale malt, a kilo of Vienna and 100g of Carabohemian. Lovely citrus-oil kind of smell to these hops - definitely some mandarin-skin character there. Very keen to see how this goes. Hops added at 60, 10, flameout and dry hopped the fermenter. First impression was they could do quite well in a wheat beer too.

Have some in the freezer, definitely keen to brew with it.

I used in it in 22L of an American-style wheat beer, 5 g at -15 minutes, 35 g in a 70 minute hop stand that began at 81 degrees and cooled to 76 before I did a fast chill.

1. The aroma was very nice, mandarin orange and hints of other fruit, and so was the flavor on the tongue, but would probably get lost alongside C hops, Simcoe, Nelson, Mosaic and other fruit and pine monsters. If anyone wants to try Mandarina in an AIPA, suggest adding mass quantities late.

2. I added Motueka and a little leftover Riwaka at various stages of the boil, too much of them, because the IBUs were too much and the finish too persistent for the style and tended to interfere with my appreciation of the lovely Mandarina aroma and flavor.

3. I'll try it again, in wheats, blonde ales and probably as a light touch in a faux or real pilsner, but any other hops I add to the batch will be nobles, Liberty or cleaner bittering hops such as Magnum, Perle or Horizon.

Back