mandarina-bavaria

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would I use this

• Hell Yeah... gimme

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Pfff, sounds like Cat piss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why dont you get some and tell me what its like

• Tried it already, read my comments

• Total voters

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Mandarina Bavaria was admitted 2012. This new variety from Hüll (Germany) is due to its aroma- and taste characteristics classified as ”Flavor Hops“.

Mandarina Bavaria has a pleasantly fruity aroma revealing a strong tangerine note with slightly sweet aroma impressions.

Mandarina Bavaria is suitable for the use in top- and bottom-fermenting beer.

The unique character can be indidually adjusted to existing beer flavor profile. Mandarina Bavaria – brewed beers demonstrated high quality of bitterness and most notably an upgrade of flavor profile of these brews. The special aroma notes of Mandarina Bavaria can be carried over from hops to finished beer when dry-hopping technique is applied.

Usage: Aroma. A tangerine machine when used for late, whirlpool, and dry hop additions, Mandarina Bavaria is quickly finding support in the brewhouse for American IPA and variants, black ales, saisons, Brett fermentations, and other beers where a definite fruity and strongly hoppy character is beneficial.

Aroma & Flavor Characteristics: Intense pineapple, lemon and citrus flavors with a resinous, herbal followup. Sweet and distinctive.

Hopunion LINKY

They are super expensive. All the new German hops are.

More than three times the price of "regular" hops. A
Almost twice the price of the likes of Simcoe, Centennial, Citra etc.

Spiesy said:
Are we talking about Riwaka now?
No, just that there are expensive hops on the market, if it brings something worthwhile to the table it could well be worthwhile as something to brew with infrequently as I do for something special like Riwaka..

I'll certainly be getting some in if I can source it DML.. though this thread isnt really the place to discuss that, this is more for discussing thoughts on the qualities of the hop itself

:)

Really looking forward to getting this, new hop with a new malt... (Schooner)

Better chase it up actually, thought I'd have it by now

Drool...

does anyone know if the germans are actually using it themselves on a commercial scale, ir is this only for export?

Hi Florian - could you translate (google translate is adequate to get the gist but certainly not fun) at least the essence of it?

At least how they think it's best used.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Hi Florian - could you translate (google translate is adequate to get the gist but certainly not fun) at least the essence of it?

At least how they think it's best used.
They're basically celebrating themselves as being the first brewery worldwide to brew with this hop.

Apparently mandarina bavaria is the love child of an old german variety and cascade.
Only very small harvests (which explains the price I guess).

Their beer has a mandarin flavour with fruity citrus and orange notes.

Brewed according to Reinheitsgebot bla bla bla (actually pisses me off the way he is wording it, 'a hand crafting brew master like myself of course has to brew all my beer according to it wank wank').

They're using light malts (pale ale, pils and caramel) and a bit of smoked malt, intensive dry hopping with with flowers. 55 IBU, 6.1% alc

Neither filtered, pasteurised or stabilised. (in other words, drink only very fresh, I had some pretty horrific IPAs from Germany a few years ago).

They sure have nice glasses, though.

Excellent job, mate.

I got the feeling that it might have been a bit wanky, but with google translate and no working knowledge of the nuances/subtleties of the language - I wasn't sure.

That makes perfect sense.

I like the intensive dry hopping and the use of a non-noble style hop. I always pegged German Breweries being so beholden to tradition (including the Reinheitsgebot) that doing an "American" style beer would be beneath them. This at least is new.

Mind you I like the traditions too - they created some of the worlds best beers and I wouldn't want that changed.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I always pegged German Breweries being so beholden to tradition (including the Reinheitsgebot) that doing an "American" style beer would be beneath them. This at least is new.
Agree.

But apparently the craft scene has evolved quite a bit over the last few years, with heaps of new breweries opening up and Berlin and other regions.
Hoping to get there a bit later in the year to check it out.

As I said, about 3 years ago I only found two or three IPAs brewed over there and they were shit.

Would have been cool to open a brewery then and there on the spot, but living back there permanently doesn't really appeal to me anymore.

Wandering off topic here, back to mandarina bavaria!

it took 6 days from placement of order to get any movement on tracking... dayuum.. how the hell they can get away with that..

:angry2: <_< :blink:

Still looking forward to them...

Latest posts

Back