Manchester England

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avit

Reaction score
Hi all

I have recently moved to the UK on a working holiday / cricket trip... and have found myself based in Manchester. Unfortunately this has caused me to stop brewing (gutted :( ) On the upside, there are so many pubs and different beers over here its amazing :D .

Has anyone frequented Manchester and know any decent pubs to try.... ive obviously tried a few but there must be some out there that are absolute gold.

On previous trips to England to play cricket, i stopped in South Cheshire, near Stoke-on-Trent. I would regularily go to the Blue Bell in Kidsgrove (http://www.bluebellkidsgrove.co.uk) which never had the same beer twice - i must admit, some of them where ransid but it was great trying all the different micro-brewed beers from around england... im crossing my fingers i find something similar in and around Manchester.

Oh, as well...... what beers to people recommend i should try and what bottled beers should i get my hands on.

Cheers

Avit

... what beers to people recommend i should try and what bottled beers should i get my hands on.

I think with all the great real ale available in the UK, one of the first ones I'd be looking for is a fresh cask of TTL somewhere.

And so close to St. Andrews in Scotland (alot closer than I am at present), do you play golf? The Open at Carnoustie next month should be awesome :beerbang:

Enjoy.

I think with all the great real ale available in the UK, one of the first ones I'd be looking for is a fresh cask of TTL somewhere.

And so close to St. Andrews in Scotland (alot closer than I am at present), do you play golf? The Open at Carnoustie next month should be awesome :beerbang:

Enjoy.

I dont mind a bit of a knock about, no good though. I am actually going up for the fourth round with a mate who lives in Scotland... Spewing i have to play cricket otherwise i would have went up on the Saturday as well..

I dont mind a bit of a knock about, no good though. I am actually going up for the fourth round with a mate who lives in Scotland... Spewing i have to play cricket otherwise i would have went up on the Saturday as well..

Message to Mods:

How do I insert an emoticon that says "Not happy, Jan"

Message to Mods:

How do I insert an emoticon that says "Not happy, Jan"

:D

Nothappyjan_wideweb_430x294.jpeg

Manchester is a great drinking city. I've never visited so I can't really recommend anywhere. Gazza on ratebeer.com (also on scoopergen.co.uk) is probably worth messaging, as he seems to frequent pubs in the area. I think there may be a couple recommended on scoopergen too.

Also, pick yourself up a copy of the Good Beer Guide. You'll need it over there.

I lived in Leicester for a few years and the mrs' parents lived just up the road from THIS PUB, had a few good nights there, you're not that far really and it's worth the drive.

Yard

the woodstock in didsbury used to be great - my cousin ran it and i lived upstairs for a few months while doing glassy work during the week, got to sample a number of great brews. in didsbury there are a few pubs all within a few blocks of each other and it's only 10 minutes from the centre of manchester, so worth a trip.

i guess the trick is to find a free house, ie one not tied to a mega brewery and you'll get a number of good independent brews available.

And the old man just sold his Cabin Club membership on Ebay....

REAL ALE.

Scotty

I can't remember the names of the pubs I visited up that way, they were small & full of ciggy smoke. I have been to a few Open Championships though. Carnoustie is a serious players track, but a bloody miserable town. There are plenty of good tracks around for a hit, try the courses that have been used over the past 15 years for Open qualifying, such as Lady Bank & Ludin Links.

Now who are you playing cricket for, & how is the season going?

Cheers
Gerard

I can't remember the names of the pubs I visited up that way, they were small & full of ciggy smoke. I have been to a few Open Championships though. Carnoustie is a serious players track, but a bloody miserable town. There are plenty of good tracks around for a hit, try the courses that have been used over the past 15 years for Open qualifying, such as Lady Bank & Ludin Links.

Now who are you playing cricket for, & how is the season going?

Cheers
Gerard

Im playing for Sale Cricket Club in the Cheshire County Cricket League. we are sitting 2nd in the league (im doing reasonably well - 350 runs at 50). at one stage we had won more games than anyone in the league and still managed to be second on the ladder - go figure (the points system is crazy over here). i have a twenty20 match on tonight - cant wait for a bit of hit and giggle!!!

And so close to St. Andrews in Scotland ..........

Now that's Funny!! (to anyone from the UK living here).
In Oz you don't think twice about driving three hours for a beer or a barbie yet when I lived in Glasgow my parents only came to visit once because it was such a long way for them to drive (120Km)

Campbell

Latest posts

Back