Maltodextrine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boybrewer

Reaction score
Hi All ;
Picked up the wrong bag :eek: . I purchased maltodextrine instead of dextrose . Can I still use it for bulk priming ? Is it any different to the amount one should use ? That is 140gm dextrose = 2.4 carbination or use more or less ?

Thanks
Beerbelly

Hi All ;
Picked up the wrong bag :eek: . I purchased maltodextrine instead of dextrose . Can I still use it for bulk priming ? Is it any different to the amount one should use ? That is 140gm dextrose = 2.4 carbination or use more or less ?

Thanks
Beerbelly
Maltodextrine is not very fermentable, so I wouldn't use it for priming. Personally, I'd just use regular sugar for this bottling session.

Cheers for that Zebba . I have some DME so I will use that .

Beerbelly

I'm sure I've read somewhere that using DME for priming can leave a small Krausen ring around the top of your bottles. I think it's only aesthetic but I'd just double check.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that using DME for priming can leave a small Krausen ring around the top of your bottles. I think it's only aesthetic but I'd just double check.

I saw a post about this recently. Sounds to me like the bottles weren't capped properly. As the bottle pressure will be the same all around instead of the Co2 rising to the top and causing a krausen.

I thought it had more to do with the yeast having to work harder when it fermented DME than if it was fermenting Dex.

Any hoooooo, I've never tried it so I can't say much either way, except I've primed with table sugar and a stubbie/longneck scoop several times and never had any issues.

I know it's been said but it's just worth repeating again.

No.

It can be confusing as maltodextrin is also referred to as corn syrup.

Dextrose is also referred to as corn sugar.

One is pretty much completely fermentable (dextrose) the other is just under 80% fermentable.

Back