Maltodextrin in ginger beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to do the same with the Coopers GB goo soon. What I might do is bottle half the batch once fermentation is complete, then sweeten the other half of the batch, bottle then pasteurize it when carbed. Then let my GB drinking rellies decide which they prefer....

Prince Imperial said:
Look, it's dry enough for ginger beer enemas if that's what you're skirting around!

No seriously, the maltodextrin added body but not sweetness, so it's not a pleasant crisp dryness, I wouldn't draw any parallels with Chardonnay at all. What yeast have you been using? If you want that dry-white crispness, could you use a champagne yeast?
MMM!
Ginger beer enema!
How refreshing.

My last one was literally just the Coopers GB kit, a kilo of raw sugar and 200g fresh ginger and I kept feeling like it was TOO sweet. Hence why I was interested in attempts to dry it out.

I might explore some yeast options....

BeardedWonder said:
MMM!
Ginger beer enema!
How refreshing.

My last one was literally just the Coopers GB kit, a kilo of raw sugar and 200g fresh ginger and I kept feeling like it was TOO sweet. Hence why I was interested in attempts to dry it out.

I might explore some yeast options....
Which yeast did you use, the kit stuff? Also, what was your final gravity on the batch you thought too sweet?

has anyone tried lactose in tge ferment?

I was thinking of a small batch cider,
9l apple 4l pear juice
200g lactose
400g sugar
couple of sticks cinnamon
and just wash the yeast from the brew I have going ATM.

cheap n cheerful I hope.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've used lactose in cider. It's not actually that sweet so it makes bugger all difference.

manticle said:
Kit probably has aspartame or some other artificial sweetener in it.
Yeah that would be my guess too, given the kit can be used with only water to make non-alcoholic ginger beer. Mix can with water, add yeast then bottle with priming solution/drops. I guess the 0.4% or so abv you get from the priming sugar qualifies as non-alcoholic.

OG 1.023
FG 0.998

I don't have much in the way of notes for this brew, as it was my first brew and I'm lucky that I remembered to write down the OG and FG!

I wouldn't be surprised if the kit had aspartame or something either.

I think next time I'll use a mix of maltodextrine, dex and maybe some DME as the fermentables, as well as increase the amount of fermentables and see if that gets me closer to what I'm after.

Oh, and I used the kit yeast.

Brew was fermented at room temps, during summer in a first floor apartment, sitting in a tub of water with a wet towel and fan directed at it on the hot days.

I committed the cardinal sin and followed the directions on the can....

Prince Imperial said:
0.998 is pretty dry! Is it possible that aspartame adds sweetness, but no gravity points?
I should also point out that, being my first time at taking specific gravity readings, the hydrometer had not been calibrated (it's one of the Cooper's all plastic ones, with a bit of red plastic at the top that you're supposed to cut off to calibrate it properly), and the readings were done without paying mind to temperature. I hadn't even measured the temps of the sample, so I can't adjust them accordingly.
So those measurements might not be a true representation of how dry it was.

Hmmm....I suspect finding a kit that doesn't have aspartame or some other artificial sweetener in it may be a bit difficult.

My next GB will have the Mangrove Jack's kit as a base, so hopefully there it's not as sweet. Only time will tell.

Latest posts

Back