(malto) dextrin quantities in a mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butisitart

Reaction score
thought i'd give maltodextrin a whirl as a substitute for carapils type malts, at $5kg, means i can squeeze a bit more real malt into the mash.
surprised that i couldn't find this on here, but ,
does anybody use it?? how much in a 23L??
LHBS and even suppliers eg simpsons all say 'use sparingly', or 'small quantities only'.
so is that 50g, 100g, 500g???
just to pre-empt, dextrin has nothing to do with dextrose (a lot of earlier posts seemed to be confused on that one).
cheers

Not sure why you would add powdered Maltodextrin to All Grain, considering you can get similar effects using 2% carapils and a higher mash temp. I find all those 'brew enhancers' give a slimy mouthfeel. Not really that pleasant. Unless I am confusing what you are adding?

Not sure why you would add powdered Maltodextrin to All Grain, considering you can get similar effects using 2% carapils and a higher mash temp. I find all those 'brew enhancers' give a slimy mouthfeel. Not really that pleasant. Unless I am confusing what you are adding?
that's what i'm adding. few hop pellets, dash of slime, easy on the dark crystals. saves on carapils haha.
nah, just curious - actually marginally cheaper than a kg of carapils, so thought i'd give it a see, but from what you're saying, my decision earlier today to order a kg might be questionable.
so now that i've got it, may as well use it (at least once). having said that, i tend to use carapils on lower mash temps with lower malt styles.
so how much is not much??

I would go with 100g for a 20L batch and see how it goes? Can always add more next time. Straight malto can add a slimey mouthfeel, and if you think brew enhancer is usually dry malt and malto, and you add a kg maybe for 100g see how you go?

Not sure, but try less is more?

I would go with 100g for a 20L batch and see how it goes? Can always add more next time. Straight malto can add a slimey mouthfeel, and if you think brew enhancer is usually dry malt and malto, and you add a kg maybe for 100g see how you go?

Not sure, but try less is more?
cheers, i was guessing the 1-200gm mark for a 20L, so i'll run with that and see. that amount shouldn't slime a brew out. i was thinking that i would normally throw 3-400g of carapils or similar at a pale aus sparkling ale or a high wheat content, so try a bag of this and see how it shapes up. if 1-200gm does the same job without changing the flavour, then it's half the price, and frees up my mash options just a wee bit.
i give you my thoughts in 8 weeks :)

Be interesting but carapils doesn't need mashing. It can be added during mash out as a steeping grain. It's essentially a crystal malt and can be treated as such.

this is probably going to open a whole new can of worms, but all my crystals get milled and mashed with the base malt.

So do mine, but I mean to say it's not needed. Strictly speaking any highly kilned or crystal malt doesn't convert. So they are fine to be steeped. Some people say you get less astringent flavours from dark malts if they aren't mashed but I haven't noticed it as an issue in my dark beers.

Was just trying to point out if its a volume thing, your crystal malts can be left out till mashout by which time the base malt will have soaked up some liquid and made room in the hot tub!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back