American Apricot Honey Dunkelweizen... First Attempt at a New Recipe I

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuckdownunder

Reaction score
Hey AHB Bros!
Well I think I've finally jumped off the deep end with this recipe. I've had good success with "kits n' bits" recipes for my Hella Easy Pale Ale so I thought, what with summer upon us, I'd try my hand at brewing a nice summery beer. I've always wanted to make an apricot wheat beer like Okanagan Brewery's Apricot Summer Weizen, but with a bit more caramel and body and the dryness of fermented honey to offset the sweetness that some people complain about.

Along the way I made a couple mistakes in the ingredients but I think that the overall flavour will be quite a good fruit dunkelweizen. So without further ado, here's my Apricot Honey Dunekweizen recipe:

Ingredients
2.5 kg dried wheat malt extract
300g Crystal 60
250g munich (thought I was buying caramunich but accidentally bought the base malt... more on that later)
500g honey
40g williamette
US-05 yeast
4 ounces Apricot flavouring

Brewday
1. Bring 10L of water up to 70c
2. Add the grains and steep (i guess in my case mash) for 45 minutes
3. heat up 5 litres of water to 70c to rinse/sparge grains
  • I'm aware that the length of mash time and the temp of the sparge water probably wasn't enough to get good efficiency from the Munich malt (whoops) but in the end I'm sure some of it got out and like I said this brew was quite an experiment into uncharted territory for me haha :super:
4. After sparging, squeeze the grains to extract all the delicious sugars
  • A lot of people are anti-grain bag squeezing but based on what I've read it doesn't sound like there is really all that much danger of extracting tannins as long as the grains were steeped/mashed at the right temperature
5. Add around 1.4 kg of the dry wheat malt extract to bring the gravity of the wort to 1.040
6. Boil for 15 before adding 15g Williamette @60, 5g williamette @ 30, and 15g Williamette at 15.
7. Add 500g honey to the boil @ 15, and half a whirl floc tablet @ 10.
8. Whirlpool, chill to around 25c(in the sink in my case :p ), then add the chilled wort, the rest of the wheat dried malt extract, and cool water to top up to 23L
9. Take gravity reading (mine came in around 1.054) and pitch yeast (US-05 in my case)
10. After about two weeks or when gravity remains constant, I'm gonna add the apricot flavouring to the keg and rack the beer on top to mix it in nicely :beerbang:

Based off the AHB Kit and Extract Designer Spreadsheet:
ABV: 5.2%
IBU: 12.3
EBC:15

Any thoughts? It's bubbling away at around 22c with a nice healthy looking krausen. I know that by using US-05 this won't have any of the spicy flavours of a proper German weizen but my goal was to have a nice refreshing summer wheat beer with a bit more body to it. Also, anybody have any suggestions of how much of the apricot flavouring to add? I want the flavour to be present but I don't want it to drown the beer out.

Cheers!
Canuck

Latest posts

Back