Malt & Shovel Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce

Reaction score
I bought a malt and shovel fermenter kit from Big W last year and i've found that it leaks water/beer around the tap? Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, how did you fix it?

I bought a malt and shovel fermenter kit from Big W last year and i've found that it leaks water/beer around the tap? Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, how did you fix it?
Yep they all leak it is was one of the design features. When I got mine I used it straight away and had a huge pool of wort all over my kitchen cupboard. So I contacted Lion Nathan via their website and gave them a call, they replaced it with a tooheys micro brew kit. I was laughing bought the MS kit very cheap (wonder why) and got it replaced with a good kit for nothing. Was almost tempted to go back and buy the remaining MS kits and ring them in as leakers but didn't want to be greedy, thought I'd share the spoils with the next punter. Hopefully you haven't left your run too late.

Bit of plumber's tape on the thread (replace for each brew, and sanitise the tap while you're about it) and a shifter to tighten the tap.

Is this the little brown barrel from james squires malt shovel brewery that kinda lays on its side?

seen them, but a mate of mine uses one. As far as i know they are just like a 23l fermenter, just 1/2 the size.

maybe try brewing in a 23l following the same recipe, but know that you are only meant to fill the barrel to the volume the can says

hope this helps

I've tapped the thread and so far it's lasted the day without and noticable leaks. The raspberries are in the fridge and if everything's still fine i'll be brewing with it this time tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back