Malt Pipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ein stein said:
I bought a robobrew malt pipe from keg king after emailing them. ended up cheaper after cost of cooking pot and tools etc and will do the job... for now,
Nice one, I'm interested in the price too and what exactly you got with it.

rude said:
Nice one

If you dont mind me asking how much & what dimensions was it

Did it come with perforated ss false bottom & top

Cheers Rude
It was just one of the 1st gen ones, was 60$ plus delivery to syd. dimensions are ~ 250mm x 440mm. its all one piece with the bottom fixed. the holes are 2mm i believe, i have a 2$ kmart splatter guard i may trim to sit in the bottom.

edit:

i did see a guy selling them on fleabay also. 69$ + 19$ p+h

Any one using stainless mesh for their malt pipes? Just wondering what mesh count would be good to use that will be a good filter but wont block the flow of wort too much. Lyrebird_Cycles, Im looking at you ;)

I have just ordered a cheap ebay pot for a malt pipe and I think I am going to go with a 2mm perforated screen and some stainless mesh ie budget Braumeister idea. Maybe top and bottom. Quarters cut out as described by Lyrebird_Cycles with a short nut and bolt in the middle to hold the screens down and 4 long nut and bolt for legs.

Also now that I think of it how the hell do you cut a hole in fine stainless mesh to put a bolt through?

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Basically resistance to deformation: The quadrant keeps the bottom of the pipe round so the false bottom seats properly.

The separate false bottom is there because I can't cut slots of the size I want (0.6mm).
What if you used two pieces of perf sheet with one on top of the other but offset to reduce the hole size.They could be silver soldered/welded together then cut to size.It might be expensive but would save time spent cutting and drilling.

perf.jpg perf2.jpg

nosco said:
So does any grain get through the malt pipes or doesn't it matter? If it gets through does it get recirculated by the pump or does it stay in the boil?

Using a grinder to cut some slots would be really quick and easy but I think im liking Lyrebird_Cycles idea. Silicone tape is a great invention. It could also be used to make a defuser mesh to go over the top of the mash like in a GF or other type 1v machine.
I used a 1mm cutting disc on the grinder to cut the slots on my 1V, as you are recirculating constantly during the mash, you end up with ultra clear wort at the end. Any bits that do mate their way through the slots at the beginning quickly get filtered out by the grain bed.

ein stein said:
It was just one of the 1st gen ones, was 60$ plus delivery to syd. dimensions are ~ 250mm x 440mm. its all one piece with the bottom fixed. the holes are 2mm i believe, i have a 2$ kmart splatter guard i may trim to sit in the bottom.

edit:

i did see a guy selling them on fleabay also. 69$ + 19$ p+h
Hey thanks for the update nice one

Quite small dia & tall perfect

What dia pot size do you use for the main 1V for this malt pipe

Cheers mate

I will just be using it with my crown 40L urn, I've been pretty busy lately so haven't even had a chance to use it yet.

Back