Malt Pipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionman

Reaction score
As used in the growing number of single vessel breweries that have made it to market, are these devices available separately?

I have seen people have bought and modified pots, but it can be pretty hard to find suitable pots I have found.

There seems ot be a gap in the market for Malt pipes that come in different diameters/capacities.

clickeral said:
You can buy the Braumeister ones seperate I know Grain and Grape sell them
I think they sell shorter versions for doing small batches. They are also inflated BM prices.

Thinking of getting a local fabricator to make some that support some type fo false bottom in standard sizes. Just a bit more elegant than a bag, potentially a bit cheaper than a Robobrew or similar.

To quote my least favourite politician: Please explain?

If I understand the question correctly, the 35 litre pot has a diameter of 38 cm. I will use it inside a 50 litre stock pot of 40 cm diameter (this one, but not until the seller puts the decimal point in the right place)

Lyrebird_Cycles said:

If I understand the question correctly, the 35 litre pot has a diameter of 38 cm. I will use it inside a 50 litre stock pot of 40 cm diameter (this one, but not until the seller puts the decimal point in the right place)
I'm a very caring potato...

I have been eyeing off that sellers pots, and I had already noticed that price was off. I like the idea of a cheaper pot for a malt pipe and a slightly better quality one for a tun/kettle, but it would be better if there were already made options that were a similar price.

Are you planning to just drill the bottom of the smaller pot?

No, I cut out four quadrants so what is left is an outer collar of about 4 cm width with a cross (also about 4 cm width) in the centre. I then make a false bottom that fits snugly inside, with the help of some silicone tape.

I just realised that thats probably pretty opaque, I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Suitable pots: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-LARGE-25L-STAINLES-STEEL-STOCK-POT-SAUCE-/182429894827

Same seller has other pots with different diameters. I'm currently using one of approx 21l as a malt pipe, about to go to the 35 litre when I expand the system.
I've looked at this pot 29 cm H x 32 cm W 25 Litres so Area x height = 23.3 L ?

Big W 19 L pot is 32 x 32 cm 25.7 L big W pot is tappered so probably less

Is this correct ?

Asking the maths guru of the forum cheers in advanced

Chystal clear if your used to playing in mud. I drive an old patrol with big chunky tires. So I understood every detail. And I've built a few of these.

I fabricated a malt pipe for my build at work. It was a relatively simple process if you have the equipment. I've attached a screenshot of the drawing that you can alter to suit your needs if you go down that route.

Malt Pipe.PNG

WP_20151102_09_43_19_Pro.jpg

Ferg said:
I fabricated a malt pipe for my build at work. It was a relatively simple process if you have the equipment. I've attached a screenshot of the drawing that you can alter to suit your needs if you go down that route.
Where do work and what would the cost be for one of those? It looks awesome!

Ferg said:
That is awesome. How much do you think that would cost to get made up? It don't have access to a workshop capable of that.

SBOB said:
as an example.
I use one of their 25L pots as an 'inner pot' in a 40L birko urn
Any pics SBOB?

I have a 40l urn that I'm considering using, I'm not sure whether to build a single batch or double batch setup.

Cheers,
Jase

Pretty certain The Robo malt pipe is avail as a spare from kegking, but you may have to ring them to find out

rude said:
I've looked at this pot 29 cm H x 32 cm W 25 Litres so Area x height = 23.3 L ?

Big W 19 L pot is 32 x 32 cm 25.7 L big W pot is tappered so probably less

Is this correct ?

Asking the maths guru of the forum cheers in advanced
You are right, the big W pot is actually slightly bigger. They quote 19L but this might be the boil volume, not the total volume.

A mate has one he can confirm it's not tapered. He uses it for extract brews and says its pretty good for $20.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:

I contacted that seller, they are getting stock back in March for that size. It will be $129.90+$25 postage.

I might get a 33L one which should be big enough for 20l batches.

Lionman said:
I contacted that seller, they are getting stock back in March for that size. It will be $129.90+$25 postage.

I might get a 33L one which should be big enough for 20l batches.
and double batches to about 1045/50

Ferg said:
That's really well done, did you roll the rib before you rolled the pot or afterwards? Also did you do the same with the top lip?

I'm doing the same at the moment building my own braumeister clone.

Cheers

Back