Malt Extract + Brew Enhancer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you tasted any of it? Does it still taste sweet from the fermenter?

If re-pitching a new yeast like the US-05 and you want to re-hydrate, you could run off a 100ml into a sanitised pyrex jug or similar, and rehydrate in your own brew, at those temps you should see action pretty quick if it is still at 1022, at 22'c it would be almost perfect match to pitch.. and you have nothing to lose but a few bucks for the yeast and everything to gain!!!

:icon_cheers:

Added yeast (Safale 05). Started bubbling straight away!

Thanks heaps guys.
???
BTW: Can anyone guess the alc % of this creation???

**UPDATE**

Hi all,

Well I repitched the yeast on 23/8. Has been sitting at 22 degrees for the week and is bubbling very slowly. I have taken another reading and it has not changed (maybe droppped to 1021).

I have been tasting it and it still taste a litlle sweet.

Does anyone have any further tips? Im getting a bit frustrated, I only have 5 (YES 5!) bottles in the fridge!!!!! :unsure:

**UPDATE**

Hi all,

Well I re-pitched the yeast on 23/8. Has been sitting at 22 degrees for the week and is bubbling very slowly. I have taken another reading and it has not changed (maybe dropped to 1021).

I have been tasting it and it still taste a little sweet.

Does anyone have any further tips? I'm getting a bit frustrated, I only have 5 (YES 5!) bottles in the fridge!!!!! :unsure:
Patience let it go for another week and if you have a fermentation fridge, cold condition it for two weeks on its lees <2C, you will not be dissapointed -Cheers

Without reading the whole thread, have you checked your hydrometer? I would only expect it to go down to 1018ish with all that malt extract/ matlodextrin so it might be completely fermed out anyway.

Thanks guys.

Glabb - Hydrometer has been at 1022 - 1021 for the last week.

Still bubbling (slowly). I know I have been told to ignor this but I think; if ther are bubbles then there will be a boom!

I have tasted it and it still tastes sweet. So I assume the sugar has not been fermented out.

I think I will just keen on waiting! :(

Dunno how good an advice this is, but if that gravity is really not going down at all even at those temps and repitching yeast..... Well, undercarbonate.

i.e. Put less than req amount of sugar to prime for bottling. Once you bottle, that would introduce some oxygen and stir up the beer too. In the bottles it will ferment a little further because of whatever sugars left over. Just to on the safe side with a brew ur not sure of, bottle with less (say half) the priming sugar and bottle in PET bottles (or keg).

Also, regularly monitor your bottles for how much the yeast deposit at the bottom grows. If it's growing significantly larger u know you bottled a little early, might be a good idea to crack one open and check what sort of pressure you get/head the poured beer has.

^above is just plain common sense advice. I'm a noob too, just a whacky scientist type one :p

Well working on the ingredients you listed and assumption of 23l mix I get

OG 1.060
FG 1.016

With about 6.1% in the bottle as per the spreadsheet calculator.

Id say thats a perfect world ferment and might not reach that but would only expect a few points higher not 6-8 so just be patient and buy another fermenter to do more brews to help the impatience :p

Ok - try the fast ferment test that is mentioned part way down on this page. This will help ascertain whether 1021 is too high or the actual finishing gravity. I think 1022 is too high but brew with extract and maltodex will finish higher than a brew that is straight KK. I struggled to get many of my extract brews lower than about 1018 (OG was often 1060+ though).

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showarticle=130

Hi Brewing Experts!

Well, I have finally (7 weeks later) got the Hyrometer down to about 1015 - 1016. Thats good enough for me!

I am going to bottle tomorrow. Thoughts on sugering bottles - should I use full amount or half (big botts)???

Cheers

LANO

Ur a patient guy. Haha.

Well, with that much waiting already, go full. Or nearly full. ESP if using the plasti bottles. Hope it tastes good too :)

Edit: I'm no expert, lol. Just amazed at ur patience of 7 weeks.... Wouldve driven me nuts.

Thanks, Its been a LONG LONG wait!!!!

Im using glass bottles. I will be placing them in a metal esky i've got (really old - almost a fridge - see attached!). This will contain the shrapnel if they blow!

I dont think ill go full sugar!

LANO

DSCF3930.jpg

Thanks, Its been a LONG LONG wait!!!!

Im using glass bottles. I will be placing them in a metal esky i've got (really old - almost a fridge - see attached!). This will contain the shrapnel if they blow!

I dont think ill go full sugar!

LANO

View attachment 40878
I think every homebrewer ought to have one of those for sure! OMG, it's a bomb proof beer shelter. If there is a bomb raid at leas the beer is safe:D

Great patience keep the updates coming im looking forward to seeing how it all turns out im sure youre going to learn heaps just from this one brew:)

dcx3 wanted an update on this brew...so here it is!

I bottled on the 18th of September and plased in the "blast chamber"! which kept the bottles at a very consistant 21 degrees. I took them out of there a week and a half ago as I needed the esky for a party. I have had NO explosions!!!

I tasted 1 after 2 weeks and it was ok but not great. a bit too sweet (probably bacause of all the BE2 and LME that I added!!). Very dark beer with a brownish head, almost Porter looking.

I had 2 on the weekend just gone and they have got better. Still slightly sweet upfront but a nice bitter finish to them now. Not as hoppy as I thought but ok.

I am hoping that they are good this weekend as I have only "town beer" in the fridge now. Ill give them a nudge on Saturday me thinks!

I will not be doing this again!! but have learnt form this brew.

Lano

dcx3 wanted an update on this brew...so here it is!

I bottled on the 18th of September and plased in the "blast chamber"! which kept the bottles at a very consistant 21 degrees. I took them out of there a week and a half ago as I needed the esky for a party. I have had NO explosions!!!

I tasted 1 after 2 weeks and it was ok but not great. a bit too sweet (probably bacause of all the BE2 and LME that I added!!). Very dark beer with a brownish head, almost Porter looking.

I had 2 on the weekend just gone and they have got better. Still slightly sweet upfront but a nice bitter finish to them now. Not as hoppy as I thought but ok.

I am hoping that they are good this weekend as I have only "town beer" in the fridge now. Ill give them a nudge on Saturday me thinks!

I will not be doing this again!! but have learnt form this brew.

Lano

Lano,

What did you learn and what won't you be doing again?

I read through the thread and am wondering what you think you've done wrong.

The issue, as I see it about the time for fermentation would be temperature related. At Tamworth, I assume your nighttime temps would be pretty cool. That would not assist your fermentation.

We've had unseasonally cool (and rainy) weather here in Brisbane, and I have a brew down with Nottingham that will be done in a week. It's all grain, but still I would assume that based on ingredients alone, you've done nothing to cause such a long time period except fermentation temps.

Goomba

Hi Mr Goomba,

Thanks for your support here. I agree that the temp would be partially responsible for the fermentation time but also the quantity of fementables added would surely have added to this time. I wont be adding BE2 and LME together again (taste / cost / ferm time).

This was also the first brew away from just Can / BE2 / stock yeast and thus have learnt a bit about adding hops, malts and the use of differnet yeasts.

manly though, I am not happy with the quality that the brew produced when weighing up the cost and the time it took.

I will contiue to experiment, but I will be taking small steps at a time!

Cheers

Lano

Hi Mr Goomba,

Thanks for your support here. I agree that the temp would be partially responsible for the fermentation time but also the quantity of fementables added would surely have added to this time. I wont be adding BE2 and LME together again (taste / cost / ferm time).

This was also the first brew away from just Can / BE2 / stock yeast and thus have learnt a bit about adding hops, malts and the use of differnet yeasts.

manly though, I am not happy with the quality that the brew produced when weighing up the cost and the time it took.

I will contiue to experiment, but I will be taking small steps at a time!

Cheers

Lano

G'day Lano,

I have found myself in the same position as you. Otherwise known as the brewing impasse. You get to two options:

1. Your confidence takes a battering and you give up trying things (or give up brewing); or
2. You keep trying (or even better try something harder and see how to stuff it up).

I used the "brew enhancers" once and once only and concluded that they didn't improve anything. Also the LHBS at the time (I wasn't living here) just had "stout enhancer" or "brew enhancer" and I thought to myself "it could quite easily be flour, cornstarch and icing sugar" - I don't like that.

So I realised that I would prefer to know what junk I put in there. That lead me onto using liquid malt extract to enhance my brews and after, steeping grains to enhance my brews.

This worked for me. I put on a brew with a good tin (morgans, blackrock, etc), extra liquid malt extract, hop t-bags and US-05 yeast.

Then I thought "I'll try those grain bags". So I steeped those and put the resulting liquid into my brew. And used good yeast and hop t-bags. This also worked.

I then thought "those tins are just extract goo and someone else has chosen the hops", so I bought two tins of extract goo unhopped, chose some hops and good yeast and tried that. This worked so well I did this for 10 years.

Now I do All grain Brew in a Bag (BIAB) - I used the guides here to help and lots of research about hop boiling, mashing and yeasts to get the concepts right.

In hindsight, what I'd do differently:

Never use hop tea bags - they are old hops and expensive. The sight sponsor in Brisbane has a massive variety of hop pellets and these are way cheaper per kg.

Moved to AG using the BIAB method quicker. It isn't that hard, though it is far more time consuming than doing an extract brew.

If I may suggest a recipe for you, something along the lines of:

2 tins of extract (if you want a light beer 2 x tins of light coloured or one each of amber and light; if you want a dark beer, one of amber, one of dark)
Nottingham yeast (or US-05) - both are dried. Notts has a high temp tolerance, so should do for your climate (cold nights, warmish days). It should finish in no more than 7-10 days.
East Kent Goldings hops - boil 15g in the wort for 60 minutes, 15g for 15 minutes and 15g dry hopped (chuck in fermenter).
Nelson Sauvin Hops - boil 15g at 30 minutes, 15g at 15 minutes, 15g dry hopped.

This should yield an IBU of 32, BU:GU of .61, which will be a well balanced beer. ABV 5.3%.

The initial cost of hops might seem prohibitive, but then you'll have 30g of each hop left over for another brew (stick it in the freezer). Eventually you'll have such a repetoire of hops in the freezer than you'll buy just the yeast and malt and make a selection from stock on hand.

Hoping this is of benefit and if not, sorry for wasting your time and the forum's time with my musings.

Good luck.

Goomba

Thanks again Mr Goomba

I would love to get to this level one day but hav VERY little knowlege of "BIAB", differnt malts or even boiling hops.

Time is my major hurdle at the moment, so for a few more months (maybe a year), I will stick with what I know (can, BE2/1, hop bag) whilst doing my reasearch on LME brews and BIAB.

My plan is to start kegging after xmas. This will be my next "brewing step"! then I think I will move onto LME + hops + good yeast. I doubt I will ever get passed that, but would be happy to get to there!

Cheers

Lano

Thanks again Mr Goomba

I would love to get to this level one day but hav VERY little knowlege of "BIAB", differnt malts or even boiling hops.

Time is my major hurdle at the moment, so for a few more months (maybe a year), I will stick with what I know (can, BE2/1, hop bag) whilst doing my reasearch on LME brews and BIAB.

My plan is to start kegging after xmas. This will be my next "brewing step"! then I think I will move onto LME + hops + good yeast. I doubt I will ever get passed that, but would be happy to get to there!

Cheers

Lano

No worries mate.

Using LME plus hops plus yeast, is time-wise and methodology wise, identical to doing can plus BE plus hops. The only different is that the goo is unhopped, instead of hopped, so it requires you to calculate the time you want to boil hops. Otherwise identical and virtually no jump in ability or knowledge. I stuck around doing that for a long time, before going AG.

My apologies, as the length of my post probably indicated that it was harder/required more knowledge, than it actually requires to do extract brewing. Eg:

Old methodology:

Boil can goo in water, add BE, add hops.

New methodology:

Boil LME in water, add hops.

It's the same as what you are already doing!

So for example, if you were to do the recipe I formulated below, you'd get a decent sized pot on with water and bring it up to the boil (the 19L pots at big W for $19 are good value).

1 Once boiling, add goo. (Same)

2 Once boiling again, add 60 minute hops. Do nothing for 30 minutes.

3 Add 30 minute hops. Do nothing for 15 minutes.

4 Add 15 minute hops, do nothing for 15 minutes.

5 Turn off stove/heat. Put liquid into fermenter, top up to volume required (assuming 23L) (Same), chuck in hops (just chuck 'em in. no bag, nothing. They'll settle into the yeast bed.

6 When temp is ok, add yeast. (Same)

Total process takes about 1 1/2 hours. Now, I know as an ex K&K brewer, that you'll already be doing 1, 5 and 6, and quite possibly 2, 3 and/or 4.

So, as long as you are taking about 60-90 minutes to do a brew already, and you are doing most of the above - you already have the skills and the time to do extract brewing.

Sorry if I'm appearing pushy. I wish someone had said to me when I did my first Kit & Kilo brew "dude, all you've got to do is this, and you already have the ability and time to do it. But it will improve your beer out of sight". That's the beauty of AHB, though it didn't exist when I was starting up.

Good luck, have a go. Looking forward to hearing your success stories in the future.

Goomba

Back