making smack packs go further

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using the same bottles as Bribie for a while, simply slurry saving from a finished brew trub, obviously, sanitation being key.

Now I have used a couple of White Labs strains, I am re-using the vials to capture trub also. With the Schott bottles, no need for a starter, just tip it in. I am yet to try this with a WL vial, except the initial pitch, but am sure it is enough yeast to kick in... if not I will make a starter.

Other than splitting, I like the experiencing 'generations' as well.

5c.

Lovely! Rich source of info. Thanks crew. Just on the starter : say I split the pack 4 ways and use a qtr for a brew this wk what is the method I would use to build cells up for pitching. I am extract only at this point. Have heard of AG brewers making starter with sparge water. I Assume I use dme. how is this done, how long take etc

Yes Schott Bottles, they come in a lot of different sizes, my couple of litre ones (shown) and some half litres came from RdeVjun when he was working in Toowoomba and his workplace were binning them :blink:

I believe the litre size are around $18.

I like them because you can guarantee them sanitised when they've been zapped with kryptonite etc.

hatts said:
Lovely! Rich source of info. Thanks crew. Just on the starter : say I split the pack 4 ways and use a qtr for a brew this wk what is the method I would use to build cells up for pitching. I am extract only at this point. Have heard of AG brewers making starter with sparge water. I Assume I use dme. how is this done, how long take etc
not sure on the making starters using sparge water. it's usually done using water and DME, and the two are boiled for 15 minutes - you can start with one about 1 to 1.5L (to a gravity of about 1.030). cool this down to pitching temp while letting your yeast get to the same temp, and pop them together, giving it a good swirl as often as you can. this gets the yeast multiplying and getting sexy and ready for larger batches (aka, your wort). there is a yeast calculator online called mr malty which shows you how much yeast you'll need per batch. check it out. there are also LOTSof other much better explained starter process posts too available online.

By sparge water do you mran leftover trub/wort that doesnt go into the cube? I hope so and yes that is what a lot of people do. I personally dont even reboil as my sanitised pet bottles to collect leftover wort I consider the same as my cubes and store them the same also.

Latest posts

Back