Making Sauerkraut Made Easy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midnight Brew said:
And here is the final product.

4 cabages
1 beetroot
8 tablespoon of sea salt (1 tablespoon to every cabbage half)
1 week fermentation

Smells amazing!
Another update, I'm onto my last jar. I've really become accustomed to it and love eating it with fried rice instead of soy sauce. I must say the goodness of the kraut has been reactive to my immune system. I usually get a cold twice a year that runs for about 7 days. I've been eating the kraut for about a month now around 4-5 times a week. Had a sore throat when I woke up yesterday and today it feels like what ever it was is almost gone. I'm going to make some more in the next week, a bigger batch to last the winter.

Midnight Brew said:
Another update, I'm onto my last jar. I've really become accustomed to it and love eating it with fried rice instead of soy sauce. I must say the goodness of the kraut has been reactive to my immune system. I usually get a cold twice a year that runs for about 7 days. I've been eating the kraut for about a month now around 4-5 times a week. Had a sore throat when I woke up yesterday and today it feels like what ever it was is almost gone. I'm going to make some more in the next week, a bigger batch to last the winter.
Where do you live midnight? If you have any Asian grocers nearby try & pick up some go chu ga roo - it's a mild red chilli flake that they use in Kim chi - you could split a regular batch and ferment some with garlic, chilli and ginger, which would go great with fried rice.

Made some Tabasco sauce using same pricncipal

Crushed chilli's, salt & vineger

After 2 weeks it formed a white film and was bubbling...

Tastes AMAZING....the longer its going, the better it tastes

Thank you to Indica for the method

Going to grab the Tabasco and use as a starter for some sauerkruat..

Tasted AMAZING. Fruity & smooth

Once the fermentation kicked in...about 1 week in...the flavour changed.

Its still bubbling and getting better. Chillies are breaking down.

Going to grab some of the fermentin Tabasco and use it as a starter for sorar

Prince Imperial said:
Where do you live midnight? If you have any Asian grocers nearby try & pick up some go chu ga roo - it's a mild red chilli flake that they use in Kim chi - you could split a regular batch and ferment some with garlic, chilli and ginger, which would go great with fried rice.
Live in the eastern suburbs of melbourne near ringwood. I would of done that today but got a bit eager after my post and went and bought 8 cabbages and now its in a full bucket ready to go :blink: . That sounds great for my next batch. Garlic, chilli and giner :icon_drool2:

Ducatiboy stu said:
Made some Tabasco sauce using same pricncipal
Crushed chilli's, salt & vineger
After 2 weeks it formed a white film and was bubbling...
Tastes AMAZING....the longer its going, the better it tastes
Thank you to Indica for the method
Going to grab the Tabasco and use as a starter for some sauerkruat..
Tasted AMAZING. Fruity & smooth
Once the fermentation kicked in...about 1 week in...the flavour changed.
Its still bubbling and getting better. Chillies are breaking down.
Going to grab some of the fermentin Tabasco and use it as a starter for sorar
Never thought about making sauce. Where abouts can I find that info Stu?

It's amazing how home brewing has sparked my food preparation/preservation hobbies.

750-1kg Chilli's
1/4ish cup salt
Splash of vinegar

Roughly chop chilli's in blender

Place in container with salt & vinegar

Place in cupboard and let it go

will get a white film and bubbles after about 2 weeks

Add a little water every few days

Note : Indica put me on to the method. So credit goes to him. It works.

The salt ( especially ) & vinegar stop the nasties from growin.

I've heard that peppers are a natural home for lacto-bacilli and can be really good for getting wild cheese cultures from.

**** yeah, home made hot sauce! I assume it finishes chunky stu? You could add anything you wanted for flavour combos. I have some shit-hot fish sauce at the moment (seriously, if you're using squid brand, it's like you're drinking VB over Chimay). I reckon that'd add a really tasty dimension. I might get onto that!

Tim, that's interesting! What kind of tough-ass bugs must thrive on chilli?!

Oh, and midnight, ginger = awesome in lacto ferments, leave a small amount with the skin on.

I dunno. I read it on Sandor Katz's website, someone else passing the story on to him, and I think it's the American definition of peppers (capsicum, for instance). They stuck it in milk, applied heat and the milk curdled.

After reading your post, I decided to make some. I haven't even tasted it before but it sure sounds tasty with a few brews.

Did two batches on Friday, about 3 KG. Popped them in my beer fermenting fridge @19c.

Both are bubbling away nicely.

Cant wait to taste it.

IMG_4309_zpsrcfkzboo.jpg

I'm having a crack at this today after reading this post.

I've had some home made sauerkraut for dinner today, with a pork roast, potatoes and roasted carrots. Family declared the sauerkraut the best thing on the dinner table. I use the 2kg Jalna / Atiki yoghurt buckets to make mine in fairly small batches. Usually I get one head of cabbage, make coleslaw and the rest gets turned into sauerkraut. It fits perfectly in those buckets and they are small enough to fit in the ordinary food fridge.

However, I would never, ever be game enough to put sauerkraut in the beer fermenting fridge. In fact, I would not even have them in the same room. The risk of cross-contamination just scares me. Lacto infections in my beer? No thanks!

True that on cross contamination. Must take good measures in techniques making these things in the same house. Never in the brew fridge!!!!!

Beers gone wild? 3 posts? I think we got trolled, maybe

Just put down another batch of kraut which will ferment a month. I usually do a batch per year but I've already exhausted the stocks I made from Autumn. At $26 of ingredients it sure goes a long way!

2 red cabbages
2 savoy cabbages
2 dhead cabbages?
65g approx of Birdseye chillies
1kg carrots
1kg Beetroot
50g approx garlic

? OMG ?

How can you possibly make sauerkraut without caraway seeds?

:unsure: :D

I find that Juniper berries, used sparsely, add a nice touch.

Ducatiboy stu said:
750-1kg Chilli's
1/4ish cup salt
Splash of vinegar

Roughly chop chilli's in blender

Place in container with salt & vinegar

Place in cupboard and let it go

will get a white film and bubbles after about 2 weeks

Add a little water every few days
My Chilli gardens are planted now, I'll be very keen to give this a dig.
I've got Butch T Jolokia seedlings and seeds, Habanero seedlings and seeds, lemon aji seeds, poblano seeds and jalapeno seeds in the ground now.
Will give it a go with whichever plant gives the most fruit, multiple batches if it goes well

Latest posts

Back