Making Sauerkraut Made Easy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdilley

Reaction score
If you brew beer you need Kraut. Then Mashed potatoes, Then a nice roast Pork Knuckle, or maybe some Sauerbraten nice and steaming hot as you kick it by the fire and warm yourself on a cold winter night with Stein full of a nice Munich Dunkel or another favourite German beer.

This is a super easy recipe I got from Sador Katz who wrote the book Wild Fermentations:

Equipment:
5 litre or larger container, like a nice large jar or if you are very lucky or very loaded in Rudd money order a German made crock (harschcrock)
A small plate that fits inside the jar, or other similar item
A cleaned rock that fits inside the jar
Pillow case or other cloth covering of small size

Food Items:
2.2 to 2.5 kilos of Cabbage
3 tablespoons of sea salt

Process:
1. Chop or grate or shred the cabbage finely, thickly, however you like it. You can do all green cabbage, you can do all red cabbage, or you can do half red and half green cabbage for a pink kraut.

2. Sprinkle salt on the cabbage as you go. The salt pulls water out of the cabbage (through osmosis), and this creates the brine in which the cabbage can ferment and sour without rotting. The salt also has the effect of keeping the cabbage crunchy, by inhibiting organisms and enzymes that soften it. 3 tablespoons of salt is a rough guideline for 2.2 kilgrams of cabbage. I never measure the salt; I just shake some on after I chop up each cabbage. I use more salt in summer, less in winter as fermentation slows in cold temperatures.

3. Add other vegetables. Grate carrots for a coleslaw-like kraut. Other vegetables Ive added include onions, garlic, seaweed, greens, Brussels sprouts, small whole heads of cabbage, turnips, beets, and burdock roots. You can also add fruits (apples, whole or sliced, are classic), and herbs and spices (caraway seeds, dill seeds, celery seeds, and juniper berries are classic, but anything you like will work). Experiment.

4. Mix ingredients together and pack into crock. Pack just a bit into the crock at a time and tamp it down hard using your fists or any (other) sturdy kitchen implement like a large wooden pestle. The tamping packs the kraut tight in the crock and helps force water out of the cabbage breaking open the cell walls letting all the nice juice out to ferment.

5. Cover kraut with a plate or some other lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a clean weight (a glass jug filled with water) on the cover. This weight is to force water out of the cabbage and then keep the cabbage submerged under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a cloth to keep dust and flies out.

6. Press down on the weight to add pressure to the cabbage and help force water out of it. Continue doing this periodically (as often as you think of it, every few hours), until the brine rises above the cover. This can take up to about 24 hours, as the salt draws water out of the cabbage slowly. Some cabbage, particularly if it is old, simply contains less water. If the brine does not rise above the plate level by the next day, add enough salt water to bring the brine level above the plate. Add about a teaspoon of salt to a cup of water and stir until its completely dissolved.

7. Leave the crock to ferment. I generally store the crock in an unobtrusive corner of the kitchen where I wont forget about it, but where it wont be in anybodys way. You could also store it in a cool section of the house if you want a slower fermentation that will preserve for longer.

8. Check the kraut every day or two. The volume reduces as the fermentation proceeds. Sometimes mold appears on the surface. Many books refer to this mold as scum, but I prefer to think of it as a bloom. Skim what you can off of the surface; it will break up and you will probably not be able to remove all of it. Dont worry about this. Its just a surface phenomenon, a result of contact with the air. The kraut itself is under the anaerobic protection of the brine. Rinse off the plate and the weight. Taste the kraut. Generally it starts to be tangy after a few days, and the taste gets stronger as time passes. In the cool temperatures of a cellar in winter, kraut can keep improving for months and months. In the summer or in a heated room, its life cycle is more rapid. Eventually it becomes soft and the flavor turns less pleasant.

9. Enjoy. I generally scoop out a bowl- or jarful at a time and keep it in the fridge. I start when the kraut is young and enjoy its evolving flavor over the course of a few weeks. Try the sauerkraut juice that will be left in the bowl after the kraut is eaten. Sauerkraut juice is a rare delicacy and unparalleled digestive tonic. Each time you scoop some kraut out of the crock, you have to repack it carefully. Make sure the kraut is packed tight in the crock, the surface is level, and the cover and weight are clean. Sometimes brine evaporates, so if the kraut is not submerged below brine just add salted water as necessary. Some people preserve kraut by canning and heat-processing it. This can be done; but so much of the power of sauerkraut is its aliveness that I wonder: Why kill it?

10. Develop a rhythm. I try to start a new batch before the previous batch runs out. I remove the remaining kraut from the crock, repack it with fresh salted cabbage, then pour the old kraut and its juices over the new kraut. This gives the new batch a boost with an active culture starter.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

MMmmmmm.... a nice bratwurst or kransky in crusty bread roll with sauerkraut and a few pints :icon_drool2:

Damn you Brewer Pete!! You really know how to push that temptation button!!

(Keep up the good work though, your recipes/directions are excellent!)

:icon_cheers: SJ

I feel a trip to the German Club coming on for some Schweinshaxe mit Kraut und Knoedel washed down with several Schwarzbiers...

Stop it, I'm drooling :)

Well at least the Canberra Brewers Club meeting place *IS* the German Club in Canberra :D

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Thanks for putting this info up I've adapted this to what I have available. Now have my 3rd batch going.

I use an Easiyo yogurt maker for makig my sauerkraut. I chop up half a cabbage from Aldi add 1 tablespoon of salt. The first batch i liquidised one leaf to innoculate the batch. All the consequent batches I've used liquid from the previous batch to innoculate.

What works very well is the Easiyo yogurt maker for keeping the cabbage submerged. Here are some photos.

How long do you guys let the kraut ferment for before you package and fridge or eat?

Midnight Brew said:
How long do you guys let the kraut ferment for before you package and fridge or eat?
I usually do a week, keep tasting it though and refrigerate when you're happy with the level of "sour".

Apparently some people let them go on for months. But 1 week is certainly enough to get the flavour.

The flavour is quite different to the stuff in cans, nice and salty and a bit peppery. We have been adding it into salads and also a spoonful into vege soups (after it is cooked). Cabbage cops a bad wrap but I recon is awesome when prepared like this!

Flavour (and to a lesser extent smell) varies with each kraut too (unless perhaps you keep a batch of good kraut to use as a starter for further krauts). Our second one had strong smells that to me seemed rather sewer-like! It still tasted lovely though.

I'll give it 7 days and then package. I looked into the whole equipment side of things but ended up using a bucket with a plate holding the kraut submerged and an old but sanitised 2L milk bottle filled wih water to weigh it down. I'll have some picks by Thursday.

Yeah it's one thing you can do totally ghetto. I use a 4L glass jar, a plastic lid and a bottle or glass that protrudes just past the lip of the opening. When I do up the lid on the jar it holds the kraut under the brine. Anyone considering this, if you like kraut, just do it - it's an awesome probiotic food - very healthy

And here is the final product.

4 cabages
1 beetroot
8 tablespoon of sea salt (1 tablespoon to every cabbage half)
1 week fermentation

Smells amazing!

sauerkraut.jpg

Had my first taste of it tonight and its fantastic, would go really well with some cheese and kabana with a few ales. My taste buds arn't fully going for me at the moment (jaw surgery/still learning to eat). The flavour is quiet sharp but plesant, currently got it on top of some fried rice adding an extra dimension. I'll give another update when I'm chewing fully. The jars have been sitting in my fridge sealed, and yes I was paranoid so I bleach bathed each jar before it went into my fridge.

That would be a nice closed environment for kraut and you could put that in the dishwasher. If you don't think you'll be making it that often or just want to play around with it you can achieve similar results without investing in any new bling. A bucket will work (if you use it for brewing you'll need to nuke it afterwards) and can source them for about $5 from the local butcher. Alternatively you can buy a big jar of pickles or other food and use that jar too. No limit to batch size you make.

I was thinking it might come in handy as well for doing little mead/cider/beer experiments
that way I'm not tying up my demijohns and they're free for other stuff

Yeah, that jar looks perfect, though it's good you'll use it for other things because it's a bit fancy for Kraut, and you'll probably still benefit from a weight or similar to hold the kraut below the brine.

Back