Making Clear Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Hey Fella's

Look i dont know if im gonna get in trouble for this later on, i found out that an old boss of mine fabricated a hand powered centrifuge he pours his fermented brew into to get it nice and clear.
apparently it took 10mins of spinning to get it crystal clear after that it was bottled (i heard that after a few brew-skies though) and he (the ex-boss) was drinking the beer DIRECTLY from the stubby (clear to the last drop).

I posted an article on clear beer already recently but has anyone heard of this method before? and how do you think it would work? (this is probably for the mechanically minded person).

Hey Fella's

Look i dont know if im gonna get in trouble for this later on, i found out that an old boss of mine fabricated a hand powered centrifuge he pours his fermented brew into to get it nice and clear.
apparently it took 10mins of spinning to get it crystal clear after that it was bottled (i heard that after a few brew-skies though) and he (the ex-boss) was drinking the beer DIRECTLY from the stubby (clear to the last drop).

I posted an article on clear beer already recently but has anyone heard of this method before? and how do you think it would work? (this is probably for the mechanically minded person).

Need to be a mighty big centrifuge to handle 22+KG of beer. Maybe one of those g-force NASA training things would do the trick? http://www.break.com/index/g_force_training_for_pilots.html

The main issue with that to my mind is the (sometimes debated) possibility of oxidation. If you're planning on drinking it all super quick maybe that's not an issue. Also the practicality of getting a centrifuge versus the ease of using finings and cold conditioning rules it out for me but interesting nonetheless.

Add to that my understanding of centrifugal force is limited so maybe oxygen has no place in the equation(?) I know the basic principle but that's based on secondary school science.

:icon_offtopic: OT I know, but you just gotta watch this -

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it'll work, but there's a reason the bg guys filter instead... It's much more efficient for the solids content in finished beer. Plus there's the risk of oxidation, especially as the brew is cool. You'll still get sediment anyway, if you prime the bottles.

Back